Head Gasket Quality Query

Mark

I Ordered a 200TDI 3-hole head gasket from Paddocks earlier in the week. On the website there didn't seem to be an option of OE vs pattern part, but having ordered one before when an Elring (OEM) one turned up, I ordered the same again, only this time a Britpart one has arrived...

Generally, if it has to seal or rotate I will use OE or Genuine parts, so I am loathe to use a Britpart head gasket if it is going to fail in 10 minutes...

Has anyone else used the Britpart version? or should I just go out and get an OE one?

Cheers

Mark

I used one for a 200Tdi when stuck for time last summer - it was sold to me as an Elring. It lasted little over 1000 miles!

Got the vehicle back and fitted a genuine Elring and ~5000 miles on, no problems.

The head was checked for flatness before fitting the first one, and again before fitting the Elring. All fine on both occasions. Job was done to the book. I've done several Tdi's over the past few years (all Elring) and never had a problem.

Conclusion: Don't touch one of these again!

There are a lot of manuf who make head gaskets for LR engines.

The current part # of the gasket in question is LVB500220 which supersedes the old ERR5263

Other part #s from different manufacturers:

ELRING - 916.471

GOETZE - 30-029690-00

GASER - 27879

REI - 613446520

AJ - 10067010

PAYEN - BY490

Why buy/use something you don't know nothing about, you can't identify its manuf and looks like this:

post-1725-1232112099_thumb.jpg

when you can buy one looking like this (also supplied by Britpart in the past - see label):

post-1725-1232112273_thumb.jpg

Maybe the Bripart gasket is actually made by Elring or is a super head gasket that will last 100 years no matter how may times the engine overheats. But who can tell/guarantee that?

Just fit the Britpart one, chances are it's as good as any of the others and IF it does fail 100 miles later you can blame it all on Britpart whereas if you fit an OEM one and it fails then you'll have to take the full blame yourself :)

The whole Britpart thing is taken way out of proportion IMV, Britpart don't manufacture anything themselves and most of the parts are made by the same companies that make the OEM stuff anyway.

The whole Britpart thing is taken way out of proportion IMV, Britpart don't manufacture anything themselves and most of the parts are made by the same companies that make the OEM stuff anyway.

Sorry, but I don't agree with you there. Its true that Britpart don't manufacture anything, but its who they buy from that is the problem...

Most of the Britpart items i've had have been of seriously inferior quality when compared to the OEM stuff, their hub seals are a joke.

Their reputation for poor quality has been hard earned and is well deserved.

for the sake of an extra £10 -£15 is it really worth taking a risk??? :rolleyes:

Just fit the Britpart one, chances are it's as good as any of the others and IF it does fail 100 miles later you can blame it all on Britpart whereas if you fit an OEM one and it fails then you'll have to take the full blame yourself :)

buy a britpart thermostat, put it in a pan of boiling water and watch it not open! imo i dont trust britpart parts.

if you want spurious part that work use bearmach.

Just to help hijack this Head Gasket thread into a Britpart bashing thread... ;)

I agree with Freeagent... the problem is where Britpart source their stuff from. Obviously the punters want as cheap as possible so they supply cheap crapy stuff that generally is about as useful as a chocolate teapot!

I've just bought a radiator off ebay from a well known parts supplier. The picture they used in the ad showed a full metal rad, yet when it turned up it was one of them cheapo nasty plastic tank jobbies and guess what... it doesn't fit properly. Ok admidttedly its a radiator and there are no moving parts and it will radiate properly I'm sure, but I made a special effort to buy something that wasn't Britpart... The lesson to be learnt here is always phone the supplier to check.

Oh... and buy the OE or Genuine gasket ;)