Aluminium Heavy Duty Clutch Release Bearing

Dikiy

There is a problem with clutch plate illustrated on the first picture. Clutch plate leafs wear. I know many who faced with such problem, and nobody can explain why.

So, anybody knows why it happened?

I suppose the underlying cause is a Clutch Release Bearing (self centering) FTC5200. This type of release bearing has a sharp contact surface instead flat surface on old type which not self- centering FRC9568.

What is Your suggestions? Is any sense to go with old type FRC9568 or with expensive Alluminium HD bearing?

post-1651-1238487402_thumb.jpg

post-1651-1238487411_thumb.jpg

post-1651-1238487423_thumb.jpg

post-1651-1238487437_thumb.jpg

No man, this Britpart bearing not a problem. By the way, it was original FRC9568 RB inside Britpart box. I saw such bearing only once. I'm always using original RB or OEM RB which same as original NSK, only package is different.

post-1651-1238488570_thumb.jpg

post-1651-1238488577_thumb.jpg

I use the FTC5200 bearing, don't have any problems, the release bearing regardless of maker will wear on that part of the diaphragm fingers simply because it's the mating face for the 2 parts & is normal waer on a used clutch assembly.

Well I'd stop buying Britpart stuff just as a general rule as it's universally awful.

The bearing face is also very narrow as you have said - since I did my clutch last Friday I had chance to compare between Britpart FTC5200 (sent in error by Paddocks), Allmakes (spare I had around), Borg & Beck that came with the clutch, and Rakeway aluminium one that I actually fitted. All except the Rakeway one have relatively narrow bearing faces.

I feel the alloy one is well worth it as you know it isn't going to melt (which can happen). The bearing part is replaceable so after your initial investment it's not big money to change the bearing, I bought a spare bearing at the same time for the future.

What Ralph said - I've never seen a clutch yet that doesn't have some wear on the fingers

Sorry. Could you be more specific, This is the first time when He seen such wear, or this present on the all clutch covers? All specimens was a Valeo brand, probably it can a problem with producer? Next time I'll go with AP cover, by the way, AP clutch plate has a same diameter as Valeo for Def 130.

The bearing face is also very narrow as you have said - since I did my clutch last Friday I had chance to compare between Britpart FTC5200 (sent in error by Paddocks), Allmakes (spare I had around), Borg & Beck that came with the clutch, and Rakeway aluminium one that I actually fitted. All except the Rakeway one have relatively narrow bearing faces.

I feel the alloy one is well worth it as you know it isn't going to melt (which can happen). The bearing part is replaceable so after your initial investment it's not big money to change the bearing, I bought a spare bearing at the same time for the future.

On the second photo You can see two different bearings. The left one is a FTC5200 the right one is a FRC9568. Please pay You attention on the bearing face ;)

Ok, as I understand, there is a good sense to go with alluminium bearing.

PS Sorry for my English :blush:

Could you be more specific, This is the first time when He seen such wear, or this present on the all clutch covers?

This is a complicated sentence. He meant "all the clutch covers I have seen have had some wear on them". There is usually a mark on the fingers, but they need lots of wear (halfway through) to fail completely.

On the second photo You can see two different bearings. The left one is a FTC5200 the right one is a FRC9568. Please pay You attention on the bearing face ;)

True, but it is still Britpart and therefore still likely to be made from cheese of some sort.

Looks like the same problem with AP also? But why? Who is a guilty cover or bearing?

It is designed that way.

Yes it will wear but will last as long as the clutch itself so will get replaced before the fingers are worn too far.

Steve

Here's what I've got:

bearinsg.jpg

Top right - spare bearing for Rakeway aluminium bearing carrier

Bottom right - AP release bearing

Bottom left - Britpart bearing FTC5200

The Britpart one is "sharper" and the outside edge of the bearing is squarer than the AP one.

fingers.jpg

Here's the fingers on my clutch that's just come out after ~8,000 miles (not because it was dead but to replace the plastic release bearing), it spent the first ~6,000 miles running a rakeway bearing which died due to sand in the bellhousing (my fault), you can see the wider marks from the rakeway bearing and you can see the narrow mark caused by 2000 miles with a "normal" FTC5200 (which I think was allmakes).

Hmmm... did somebody mention melting?

Pah! The one that came out of my Freebie was so melted there was just a bearing race and about four balls left, everything else was in a puddle at the bottom of the bellhousing :lol: all because of a sticky release arm.

• 2 years later...

Ok Old tread i know.

But searching around for an HD release bearing. Now I know bits in blue boxes do not seem to be a favorite here, but they do a alu HD bearing for a resonable price. Bearmach also do one which does look better...... so what shall i do??

Haveing said that, my plastic standard bearing served me well for the past 12 years.

I am also concerned on the sharp edge the late bearings have, i am used to the old style frc9568.............

Any pointers..............

Thanks G

• 1 year later...

Why does Rakeway not put prices on their website?? Really hate that...turns me right off.

Anyhows, I'm also now in the market for an LT77 release bearing, what are the best options currently avaliable? I'm thinking about an aluminkum one, to avoid the melting plastic woes!

doubt normal day to day use would melt the carrier,possible if really caning the clutch brutally, I haven't damaged a release bearing carrier in 20 years of owning my 110 & it's got loads of miles on it.

I've had a plastic one melt & disintegrate, admittedly in the Freebie not the 109.

Had the bearing go on the Rakeway one in the 109 (through crud in bellhouisng, my fault) and the net gain was that the carrier could be re-used, so it's better in that there's one less failure mode and when you're away from easy LR parts supply you have something to press/bodge a new bearing onto.

I can't speak highly enough of the guys at Rakeway, best thing to do is give them a ring, will give a heap of advice over the phone even if you're not actually buying anything from them.

They make a lot of stuff themselves, so the release bearing housings are batch made, I remeber having to wait for mine to be made.

Considering the position of the component, its a no brainer to be to install an alu housing, if that outlasts everything in the clutch area then its done its job.

Mav