Hmmmm - What does the panel think about this ?....

Thoughts please ?

Nige

Live in the now and fit a TD5! They run cool as a huskie's gonad's

They even have an intercooler too - how cool is that??

They come complete with an ECU, so no need for your mini-skirt, mega-squirt or whatever you call it.

They do 500 miles on a thimble of fuel, produce 500bhp, work under water, make your Defender quieter than a Rolls Royce - apart from the roar of the exhaust that is, what more could you want?

Also.... As your motor is so modified - have you ported the water ways in the heads? Is there much scope for improving/redirecting flow in there? Are you running an electric water pump? So that when engine speed slows (when you're bogged) your water pump doesn't too.

Nige, I totally agree - 'kin HUGE ali rad (go on summit, select the size you want and await arrival), cowel, viscous and job done. With the viscous there additional fans may well be reducing the flow. It might also be worth having an extractor, with fan, mounted on the top of the bonnet to help pull heat out of the engine bay - when you're at low speed you've got no flow to push air out of all your holes.

make somewhere for the heat to go.

not sure if you have them but the simple mod of 4 holes (2 either side) on the rear of my bonnet sorted all the 'getting hot issues' in one go.

other than that 4mm spacer will work

In an 'every little helps!' way - have you tried 'water wetter'?

Forgotten all about that stuff. I used to use it in my days of water cooled computing - it is actually a surfactant (i.e. washing up liquid). It made a few degrees difference to my CPU temperature, but not sure what it would do to a fire breathing V8. Stick a few drops (and only a few!) of fairy into your cooling system and see if it makes any difference.

Why not plumb the water through the rollcage as an added heat sink for when its getting too hot, it'd give everyone somewhere to warm their hands on cold days as well, everyones a winner!

Better still get a nice big cast iron radiator off ebay and mount it on the roof, this will help no end with your quest to build the heaviest 90 in the world as well ;)

Will :)

Anyway

Have a laugh on me

Spent around 1 hour on the lathe turning up a coupler for the viscous to the V8 11 blade fan unit,

congratulated myself on the fact it a - looked so b good, b- looked neat too c - hadn't taken an age

Fitted together a treat, fitted new water pump and gasket, sorted out oil leak from PAS whilst at it shoved it all back together

with reasonabel ease, and fitted new 11 bladed work of art, started up and boy you could hear the fan roar as

it sucked :moglite: sort of thing.

Jumped in for the obligatory test drive and drove off, all well, pulled out to overtake a old f**t and

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGods whats THAT :o noise ?

Backed off, noise vanished, pulled into layby up bonnet everything seemed ok :huh:

Pulled out drove off everything fine, booted it ..and Jjjjeeeeeeeezuz and FFFFFFFFFFFFF**k kin hell :o

Pulled into layby......

Some studying later uncovered the sad fact that when "Booted" the slightly larger fan unit

"Sucks" the cowling in on itself, and onto the fan, the giveaway being the black marks on the fan end,

the groves in the cowling and the dreadfull acrid smell of rubbed up rubber bits + xxx BHP :lol:

B*gger

Fiited old fan back on whilst new 11 blader "Tweaked"

And it was going so well ....................... :lol:

Nige

[sad anorak git mode on]

Thanks and very kind, unfortuantely I already have one in the earlier search for a bigger unit

and these are unsuitabloe for both position and its bigger (wider) than the V8 90 ones....

Actually my shed looks a bit like some sort of geeky "holy grail for fans of viscous" collectors :lol:

I may be close now to a full set :rofl:

[sad anorak git mode off]

Nige :huh:

Again, I have to ask about the flow through the radiator, if there's enough fan power to pull a partial vacuum within the cowl. It doesn't sound like your fan is the limiting factor. Although unlike m'learned friend above, I'm not going to suggest where else the problem might lie :)

You may also find the engine is moving around on its mountings when you floor it.

Even our little 1.8T in the A4 moves around quite a lot when you give it some, and its on some fancy fluid filled engine mounts.

When i had my old nova it had a 1600 16v motor from a corsa in it which had the wide poly-vee style alternator, and the alternator pulley used to sit about 5mm off the chassis leg. The engine was mounted on solid polybushes and even then, on hard left handers under power the engine would move enough for the pulley to hit the chassis leg. Ended up changing to the old style V belt pulleys to fix it.

Shouldn't the viscous fan have been freewheeling if you were moving?

I had a similar problem with my TR7 V8 and the cooling gurus at Rover told me that if that if you need a fan when you are moving at more than walking pace then the radiator isn't big enough.

But you probably already know that!

Go on, make a fan shroud out of 6mm plate - you know you want to - that'll stop the bugger sucking in :)

Hoggy has a point though - I hadn't thought of it but you shouldn't need a fan over about 10mph anyway so it shouldn't be sucking at all at "Yeeeehaw" speeds?