Half shaft bolts

John_T

For reasons which are not clear to me the rear drive member bolts (one piece halfshafts) on my TD5 90 came loose. On one side 3 were nearly out and the other 2 were loose. I changed the diff a while ago and I cleaned the bolts, used Loctite 243 and torqued the bolts up to 48 ft lb.

Any idea why they should have come loose? Should I have used new bolts?

At the end of the day its no big deal as I can check them regularly but its a bit annoying.

never had any trouble with mine, (well i lie they did come out when i forgot to torque them up once........... you learn by your mistakes i guess) i have always cleaned, copper greased and reused old ones.

Brand new bolts with brand new spring washers when I fitted them......

Have to admit they seem to have settled down lately and they havnt come undone for a while - maybe they're rusted solid now!

I used to have this problem on the front of the truck. The only solution was to use new bolts with loctite and ensure the threaded section in the hub has no oil in it.

"Throw spring washers away, clean threads with brake clean , same for bolts then assemble with loctitie Job done"

If only, Ive done all the above, used all makes of thread locker, brand new taps and bolts, cleaned with everything from gizer to brake cleaner and one still does it.

Only the nearside front, all the others are fine, cant find a pattern to it either, sometimes it will stay tight for weeks, other times will only last ½ a day.

Although its got a lot worse since fitting the arb.

New hub is the only thing I have not tried.

Mine always do - one side worse than the other. Cant explain it - just check em regularly and nip em up. Its no hassle and you dont even have to jack it up to check em.

Jon

I had this issue a while ago when I had a 5.7 v8 in my landy. Also intrigued, I looked into why.... Turns out that it's always the bolts on the drivers side half shaft that work loose, as they are subjected to more torque from the shorter half shaft on that side. The passenger side bolts remain tight as there is more shalf to twist and absorb the torque.

i replaced mine with capscrews, they have a higher tensile rating than the original bolts (12. something instead of 8.8) and i've had no trouble with them coming out since i fitted spring washers underneath... :)

for a realy cool locking washer solution do a google search for NORD-LOCK, they are two piece locking washers, and they are fantastic. :):)

i replaced mine with capscrews, they have a higher tensile rating than the original bolts (12. something instead of 8.8) and i've had no trouble with them coming out since i fitted spring washers underneath... :)

for a realy cool locking washer solution do a google search for NORD-LOCK, they are two piece locking washers, and they are fantastic. :):)

We use allen heads 12.9 drilled across the head, we wire the five bolts together, never had a problem since

Thanks guys, glad to hear I am not alone!

New bolts and clean out the threads it is then. The reason I changed the diff was to put a locker in so maybe that doesn't help but on the other hand I had one in my old Disco and the bolts never came loose. I am now getting twitchy about the crownwheel to carrier bolts.

what you need is those luminous yellow arrow pointer thingies they have on bus and lorry wheels.

Is wiring them not possible?

Hmm....maybe a small remote camera and a screen in the cab so I can keep an eye on the bolts!

Actually wiring is a good idea.