Your opinions please

A better option, cheaper too, is to put a pair of hard bushes on one side and a pair of soft ones on the other. The axle rotation is restricted on the road by the hard bushes, but the soft ones allow the articulation off road.

Si

Ooooh they look interesting...

I think that Scorpion orange ones are supposedly somewhere between the blue and red Polys so shouldn't be too hard?

I like the thinking behind running soft and hard ones on different sides Simon, but why not just run 'soft' ones all round. They are similar in stiffness to standard rubber ones, and are only known as 'soft' as it differentiates them from the harder ones!

I've got blue Polybushes on the front of mine and I'm pleased with them, but slotted ones could be even better :D Wasn't keen on getting some sent over from Oz as they're pricey and life expectancy was pretty unknown at the time.

Richard

but why not just run 'soft' ones all round. They are similar in stiffness to standard rubber ones,

In that case when should i make it worse by fitting a hard bush on one side :unsure:

I am trying to get more flex out of the bushes, so thats why i was looking at the slotted stuff.

They are a proper molded metalastic type bush

gallery_9_1_8232.jpg

Been in for some 10K miles, happy with handling and without going three link (or hinged but that's scarey) they're the best way to improve front articulation. They let you reach the point where the hockey stick twists in the axle bracket when articulating and binds (early narrow bushes are best) but still give excellent for/aft control.

IIRC they where some £80 but the worst bit of that was the bank transfer fee. With Ali now on walkabout there are probably better ways of getting the money to Sam.

Where do standard rubber bushes fit in the hardness/softness scale ?

IIRC not much difference from the blue ones, I run standard rubber bushes all round which give me all the travel I'll ever need for a fairly heavy 110, get plenty of axle movement when I need it

Speak to Hayley at Polybush re a mixed sets, she will put them together whatever you ask, and they are nice people do deal with rather than Mr 'short-man-scorpion-mit-attitude' :angry:

Red are HARDER than genuine, blues are softer than genuines

Nige

Who's Sam??

Why a mixture of hard and soft?

If you have soft on both sides, it makes the handling vague and allows the axle to roll on acceleration / braking, which amongst other things can lead to prop shaft vibration.

The hard bushes on one side make the rotation of the axle track the hockey stick on that side accuratly. On the road, there tends not to be too much articulation, but more rearing & diving as you accelerate & brake.

In an off-road scenario, the two soft bushes (or slotted ones) allow the two hockey sticks to rotate in opposite directions around the axis of the axle, in turn leading to less resistance to articulation.

The fact that the axle rotation is tracking one stick more than the other makes little difference - it is still allowing the axle to 'twist' in effect.

What you get is a good compromise between handling on the road and free articulation.

You can get even more if you remove one of the hockey stick to axle bolts on the soft side when you are off road.

Si