Alternator rotation

Les Henson

If you put an anti-clockwise rotating alternator on an engine that will spin it clockwise, will the alternator still work ok?

Do I need to inform the Police/Dvla/Vosa?

Will this mod require an IVA/Q-plate?

Ta.

Les.

It will work but the waveform will be upsidedown. It may be a good idea to fit new brushes as they will be run-in in the wrong direction.

You may need a clockwise fan on the pulley though.

Thanks Rog :)

I'm not sure if the alternator itself is wrong, but the fan that came with it (it's a new item), is an anticlockwise fan, so I assume the alternator is too. Is there any way of telling by markings?

Les.

Wouldn't know how to tell the difference, it would be to do with the angle of the impellor blades, I've seen radial blades which I guess would do for both directions.

I agree, should be fine rotating whichever way.

But you may need an IVA and Q plate as it will be out of manufacturer specification and may exceed the speed rating of the tyres, especially if you move the engine mounts or add a cross member to support the extra mass. However, I suggest you contact VOSA to check that using a deep fat frier as a prime mover isn't an offence in itself.

A Alternator at full chat produces 30-100amps at +12v

Running it backwards will of course mean you'll have the same amps, but now

obviously -12V, so you'll need to swap the earth to postive, and the postive to earth

Hence the old "Positive Earth" LRs

This level of modification to the electrics (esp if you shorten or modify the wiring in any way) will

mean sadly a SVA or more nowdays the new IVA (its very altered).

Make sure you also chock the wheels, and use both a trolley jack and axle stands

when working on it, also see if you can also get a left handed alternator belt as it will run better

Nige :)

Damn - I'll take a chance on the Old Bill not noticing and drive it on it's original plates.

If I reversed everywhere, would that compensate for the 'wrong' alternator and I can then stay with negative earth? I know that old Series Land Rovers go quicker backwards than they do forwards and use less fuel too. I realise that reversing everywhere might be illegal, but I have a cunning plan - Take the axles off, set them the opposite way round on my drive, lift the chassis, turn it round and place it on the reversed axles, then put the body on the other way round as well. That way I'll have what looks like a normal Land Rover that actually goes forwards in reverse gear, probably. :unsure:

Les.

A mate of mine faced this problem- he was going to get round it by turning the engine and gearbox round to the rear, fit clamp-on mounts to avoid IVA (and because his welding's terrible) and turn the axles upside down to make it go the right direction. Unfortunately he only got as far as taking it apart...

If you reverse the rotation you may need the matter / anti matter recirculation pack Pt No RTC 2001.

Only if you reroute power through the EPS conduits - but maybe you should run a Level Three Diagnostic to check for damage to the Inertial Dampeners?

Or, You could turn the alternator through 180 degrees (so the pulley is reversed) and the alt is now facing the radiator. This will now be the "correct way round".

step 2 re-manufacture all the Mounting brackets out of solid wood.

step 3 drill a 10mm hole through the alternator axle (to run the wire through) to come out the original side of the wiring.

step 4 remove the viscous fan and fit new electric fan system at huge cost.

step 5 use a core drill to cut an alternator shaped hole in the radiator. (solder up the leaky bits).

Job done, sit back and admire your "handiwork".

Or the simple job....

put a twist in the belt before and de-twist after doh..... :D

A mate of mine faced this problem- he was going to get round it by turning the engine and gearbox round to the rear, fit clamp-on mounts to avoid IVA (and because his welding's terrible) and turn the axles upside down to make it go the right direction. Unfortunately he only got as far as taking it apart...

You leave Mr Warne out of this, .......its not a Vapour Alternator :)

Nige