Threadlock for V8 exhaust manifold bolts ?

OK

I have had an issue with some of the V8s exhaust 'manifold' to exhaust 'port out' head bolts coming loose

Being I have the JED Dakar Big Bore special heads / Matching Manifolds these heads have to have the

12 point type bolts fitted to I think P38s some of which have lossened as time has gone by,

even tho dogged up good and tight.

Having spoken to a few people this is not unknown, but I would like to sort this, so

was thinking about redoing with new gaskets and then shoving some threadlock on the threads to ensure

they stay put :unsure: but be able to remove should the need arise without then the use of helicoils :mellow:

However, normal 242 etc threadlock I don't think will take temp of the exhaust area, so what is the stuff thats used,

would be grateful for those who know to answer rather than the 'no idea - but heres my wild vague guesses' group :lol:

Nige

I think you will find they are loose because the gasket is compressing over time. Just keep nipping them up until they arrive at full compression of the gasket. To replace the gaskets now will just start the process over again.

Steve

^^

Steve,

Possible, but I am unsure.

2 extra things

1st - these are not the "Tin Type" gaskets, they are a grey aspestosey looking gasket (obviously not aspestos but same look :) )

and I didn;t think / wasn't aware that these did the compression bit, but you may be right ?

2nd is that on a few bolts they were not just loose, but finger tight, yet doged up 1 weekend ago :(

so hence me thoughts of "Locking" in ?

I have to replace, as where a few have got loose the port exit pressure has split and blown out part of the gasket :(, so its reit time

but I am serioulsy hacked off that they are doing what they do, I have considered dunking the 90 into ice cold 3-4 foot lakes

making everyhting contract as it cools may possibly have something to do with this issue :lol::P

Nige

^^

Steve,

2 extra things

1st - these are not the "Tin Type" gaskets, they are a grey aspestosey looking gasket (obviously not aspestos but same look :) )

and I didn;t think / wasn't aware that these did the compression bit, but you may be right ?

2nd is that on a few bolts they were not just loose, but finger tight, yet doged up 1 weekend ago :(

I have to replace, as where a few have got loose the port exit pressure has split and blown out part of the gasket :(, so its reit time

but I am serioulsy hacked off that they are doing what they do, I have considered dunking the 90 into ice cold 3-4 foot lakes

making everyhting contract as it cools may possibly have something to do with this issue :lol::P

Nige

Would these be of any help? I'd have thought you'd struggle with a thread locking compound as I've never come across one that survives heat!

^^

Steve,

2 extra things

Nige

Those gaskets do compress. When they do they release the load on the bolt which can then spin loose.

Similar gaskets on my Chevy engine did the same thing and were tightened three times to bed them in and have stayed there for 5 years now.

Steve

Hmmmm

Thanks for all the info above :)

I 'aint drilling them yet :rofl: did that years ago on Bikes and that was bad enough :(

Re threadlocking / needing to retighten regaularly maybe 3x now wondering

that if I do use threadlock and then retighten etc if the threadlock will actually

then be a bad thing and work against me ?

Never had this problem with the Bl**dy tin albiet small ports :lol: gaskets

so you learn something every day LR wise :)

Thoughts re threadlock and 2 / 3 tighens ?

Nige

If you tighten after thread locking the lock is broken.

Afraid its one or the other.

As said before the gaskets will compress so if it were me I would forgo the thread lock and just tighten them from time to time until they bed down.

Don't forget the bolt which will resist bedding down the longest is the one most difficult to get at.

Steve

Depends what threadlock you use - some of it is permanent, some of it just gives a bit of extra grip and can be re-tightened / removed & re-done without reapplication. As I said, phone Loctite and they'll tell you the right thing for the job.

If there studs, how about 2 sets of nuts on each one tightened against each other ??

Andy

Nope, not studs PITFA P38 12 sided bolts as they only just clear the manifold being the castings bigger :(

I had studs yonks ago on a racer engine, horrible to try to get the manifold on and off

tricky enough anyway :lol:

Hmmmm gloop or not gloop, springs washers or threadlock....call to Loctite next methinks :)

:)

Nige

Use bellevilles as suggested, or two flat washers per bolt, both work. The heat can take the temper out of spring washers.

I wouldn't bother with thread lock.

Blather the gaskets in copperslip, the grease burns off but leaves a copper residue that stops the gaskets sticking to the head or manifold. This stops them from tearing and then blowing due to the different rates of thermal expansion between the two components.

Run the engine up to temp', allow to cool and re tighten.

The original 3.5 V8s didn't use gaskets and had lock tabs on the bolts, sometimes the joints wouldn't seal after being disturbed. We used silicone RTV between the manifold and head faces, this works if you allow it to cure first and then warm the engine up slowly.