How many clean under their truck?

Anderzander

I went to Newark this last weekend and have a friend who seems to crawl under every land rover we came across... after a while I decided to join him and was surprised how many were full of dried mud and dirt underneath..

After every off road trip I jet wash the under side of my landy - but there were ones there that despite having had money spent on them were a terrible state underneath.

Is it a minority that cleans them underneath or did I just pick a bad bunch to crawl under?

Are they just not bothered about trying to prevent corrosion or is it seen as a bit of kudos?

baffled me as I love my truck and that means I want to look after it..

Likewise. I often stop at the garage and pressure wash the underside of the 110 and leave the top filthy, a quick £1 worth keeps the worst at bay, I try to make sure the rear crossmember and the outriggers are kept clean at least. Its no fun working on a car with clods of muck dropping in your eye every 15 seconds.

Will :)

absolutely what Fridge says - i try and get the underneath pressure washed within 24 hours of a trial or playday.

that way the mud doesnt get time to set like concrete (Frickley mud has subsequently been submitted to Nasa for heat shielding testing) and is easier to clean off. Then i spend 10 minutes with a grease gun and 1/2" drive to check all the tranny fluids and props etc.

I always clean mine after going away if at all possible, because wet peat comes off in seconds, dried on peat is like concrete

Second best is to drive around for a while on a day when it is pssn down with rain, and then go and wash it once it has all been "rehydrated" :)

I always make sure mine is clean as possible after play days ect. I even go as far as blasting the inside out every two months with the drain cleaner attachment on the jetwash........I do know a couple of people who never clean their 4x4s, It makes them an absolute nightmare too work on.

Dave.

When I first got my vehicle, I used to wash & polish the body several times a year (a hold over from my sports car days), and occasionally check underneath, mainly after a muddy play day.

Now, I never polish the body :) (sports cars & speed have long gone!) but check underneath at every opportunity. I do still give the body 10 minutes at the jetwash every so often, mainly if i cant see out of a window.

I Waxoyl underneath once a year, and jetwash underneath all the time. I also like to have a tidy engine bay too. I like to stay on top of any leaks that appear from time to time, by keeping all the mud out of there.

It was by washing & degreasing my engine, that I discovered my P-gasket was leaking and also my turbo manifold.

I love having days when I just go driving for the sake of driving, and if i get mucky, then all the better. But its important to me to remember that if i DO get dirty, to allow time to get it clean at the earliest opportunity.

I dont plan on selling my old boy ever anytime soon, and I love him and he's a good 'un, so I take pleasure in looking after him. Rather a few hours a year being tidy, or a lot of money on expensive chassis replacements.

As those above I clean the chassis as soon as possible and give it a coat of Waxoyl inside out every 2 years depending on the amount of road salt they threw during the previous winter <_<

Once a year I wash the body but it's more for the zen and the joy of maintenance than something else...

I'd love a galvanized chassis though!