SVA consequence's

Tom.H

Hi

My vehicle is made up of two front discovery chassis .... After doing some research I am aware that this means the vehicle should go through an SVA

Although with the standard road documents for the front half of the disco I don't see what's stopping me from going to a 'lenient' m.o.t station and trying to get it to pass.

I've recently contacted my insurance company and told them ever modification the vehicle has. They said they were able to insure the vehicle with an normal m.o.t. They never suggested it need an SVA for them to insure it.

As a result I am kind of left asking: What are the consequence of driving a vehicle which should have an SVA on the road with a normal MOT???

Tom

The SVA test is basically checking to ensure that the vehicle and it's parts are type approved and meet relevant construction and use regs - it's not the same as an MOT test (which checks the vehicle for roadworthiness at the time of the test).

Potentially you could be looking at invalid insurance (regardless of what your insurance company have or haven't told you at the current time) as well as other offences under the banner of construction and use, type approval et al.

Hope this helps.

Matt

Dont even consider not having an SVA, and dont trust a verbal agreement from an Insurance Company.

The SVA is a far more detailed test than an MOT, but does give you the same 1 years motoring. I have the book on what to prepare on your vehicle for an SVA test, its A4, and an inch thick. I'll dig for the link to find it... If you have an accident, you'll loose the vehicle, insurance wont pay up, and you might even be able to say 'Hello' to poor Nigel.

From the dvla site:

Changes you need to update

You’ll need to tell the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) about the following changes to your vehicle:

* colour

* engine

* cylinder capacity

* fuel type (propulsion)

* replacing or modifying the chassis/monocoque bodyshell

* seating capacity

* weight of a goods vehicle

Change to engine and cylinder capacity (engine size)

DVLA will need written evidence of any changes to engine number and cylinder capacity (cc). Written evidence can be:

* a receipt for the replacement engine

* written evidence from the manufacturer

* an inspection report provided for insurance purposes

* written confirmation on headed paper from a garage if the change in engine size took place before you bought the vehicle

Other changes

Your vehicle may need to be inspected by a DVLA local office. You must contact your nearest DVLA local office if you change:

* wheel plan

* body type

* vehicle identification number (VIN)

* chassis number

* frame number for motorcycles

So it looks like you have changed the body type and modified the chassis so need to notify a DVLA office.

When was the vehicle built? If it was built pre 1999 (IIRC) then you can quite legally drive it without an SVA as there was no such thing in existance at the time. However you will need to be prepared to provide documentary evidence to prove this.

If you've just built it then you have two choices -

1. SVA it and have the reassurance that you're above board and legal.

2. Ignore it and accept the consequences when and if they occur.

In my experience there are an awful lot of people doing no. 2. As a good example as found out by Bishbosh on here, any rangerover bobtailed after 1999 will not have been SVA'd and is technically illegal. There are an awful lot of people still driving them however.

Jon

Ok

Thanks for all your help

I am not even sure when the vehicle was built but I am doubtful it was before 1999

I am intending on using the vechicle for winch challenges and safari events and as a result its quite possible it might not get back from the event under it own power.

<_< As a result the 404 Unimog which I was trying to sell is now coming across as being quite an appealing tow car

Tom

Unless you trailer to events and not drive it on the road, you need an IVA (new type of SVA). However, Having done one myself, it really isnt that hard. I would like to go as far as saying that if you dont pass that, your car shouldn't be anywhere near a road.

The Paperwork is by far the hardest part.

Daan

Having just been through the IVA the hardest part was stumping up the £450.00 test fee,the £55.00 VIC check, The £55.00 registration fee and the £55.00 MOT fee two days after the IVA. The chap at Carlisle VOSA has seen a drop in applications by half. You gotta love ur Landy to spend that kind of doe on a few bits of paper, oh and peace of mind.

max

I'm wondering about the "Q" plate thing too.

My rebuild shouldn't technically need an IVA, as i'm replacing the chassis with a new one and using enough components of the donor for it to keep its original plate, however the company that sold me it didnt provide a receipt (it was late on a wet saturday evening and i just wanted to get home, so i didnt actually think to ask either), so all i've got is a paypal receipt from the ebay transaction, and a number of emails that went back and forward between me and the firm, when i was confirming it was new etc.

Thinking about it now, i get the feeling the DVLA might not be up for accepting this as evidence of it actually being a new chassis, which may cause me some problems once the truck is finished?

Sorry to thread hi-jack, but it seems relavent to all on hear. I'm about to go down the road of modifying my Range Rover's chassis, does anybody have a link to the IVA build manual, or details / how to book a test?

Also does anybody have a tame contact for the local Southampton test centre - is there a test centre in centurian industrial estate? I think discussing my plans with the local test centre before a get the gas torch out is the best idea.

Are we sure the £450 is for the commercial IVA test? I remember doing it when it was still called the SVA, costing about £63 I think.

I am pretty certain that the moment The DVLA decides it needs an IVA test, they will allocate a Q-number.

This might be of help:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=31872&view=&hl=sva test&fromsearch=1

Daan

I'm wondering about the "Q" plate thing too.

My rebuild shouldn't technically need an IVA, as i'm replacing the chassis with a new one and using enough components of the donor for it to keep its original plate, however the company that sold me it didnt provide a receipt (it was late on a wet saturday evening and i just wanted to get home, so i didnt actually think to ask either), so all i've got is a paypal receipt from the ebay transaction, and a number of emails that went back and forward between me and the firm, when i was confirming it was new etc.

Thinking about it now, i get the feeling the DVLA might not be up for accepting this as evidence of it actually being a new chassis, which may cause me some problems once the truck is finished?

The best advice is as always to contact the dvla. Saying that there should not be an issue with replacing the chassis with a new one provided it is the same as the old one. Won't the supplier email you a receipt?

the company that sold me it didnt provide a receipt (it was late on a wet saturday evening and i just wanted to get home, so i didnt actually think to ask either), so all i've got is a paypal receipt from the ebay transaction, and a number of emails that went back and forward between me and the firm, when i was confirming it was new etc.

A retailer is not obliged to give you a receipt so you cannot reasonably be obliged to produce one.

Chris

Sorry to thread hi-jack, but it seems relavent to all on hear. I'm about to go down the road of modifying my Range Rover's chassis, does anybody have a link to the IVA build manual, or details / how to book a test?

Also does anybody have a tame contact for the local Southampton test centre - is there a test centre in centurian industrial estate? I think discussing my plans with the local test centre before a get the gas torch out is the best idea.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=31855 links to IVA info in this thread :D

Yep, mine went on a Q plate, Its not that difficult to get through the IVA,hardest part was getting the paperwork sorted, the spannering bit was relitively easy. VOSA want proof of ownership for every major component and where it came from ie which vehicle and receipts for everything. Also proof of self build. That part took me 3 months to sort.

Lots of money for a ratty old landy at the end of the day and initially, having got it on the road, i couldn't help thinking "was it worth it". Its been on the road three weeks now and i can now say YES IT WAS :):):) .

PLUS ITS RETURNING 20MPG..unbelievable, driving steady though.

Oh and the IVA is £450.00. This is for passenger cars.

The commercial is still SVA at £95 until 2011 sometime. Problem is whatever the donor was first registered as goes no changes can be made later on..

Max

A retailer is not obliged to give you a receipt so you cannot reasonably be obliged to produce one.

Chris

It seems from the post above though that they want proof?

I'm just gonna have to call the DVLA and see what they say. :(

It seems from the post above though that they want proof?

I'm just gonna have to call the DVLA and see what they say. :(

There is little point calling DVLA as their help desk is...not very helpful. Prime reason is that the local offices seem to work to their own set of rules. Your best bet is to go into your local office (you can't phone them as their is no direct line). When you get to the counter and start to explain what you are doing they will likely refer you to the technical officer.

Best of luck.

Steve

If you have an accident, you'll loose the vehicle, insurance wont pay up, and you might even be able to say 'Hello' to poor Nigel.

As I'm sure you know that is more than a little misleading.

Plenty of people have accidents in vehicles that should have an SVA/IVA and get paid up without issue. If the accident is serious and people are killed then the condition and safety of the vehicle will be checked irrespective of whether it has been SVAed or not.

Having said all that I wouldn't be keen to drive round on someone else's cut n'shut chassis.

After much hunting, Ive found the manual on my other forum

http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/repository/IVA-Inspection-Manual-for-M1-Passenger-Cars-V3.2.pdf

having an SVA does not automatically mean you will have a Q plate. You will only get a Q plate if your vehicle does not meet the '8 points' critera. You get 5 points for having a Landrover varient body and appropraite chassis (modded 110 body on disco chassis does not count), then its 2 for axles, 2 for transmission, 1 for steering or summat, its not hard. I specifically asked the question, otherwise my 109 would have had hasty MOT work carried out, rather than stripping her. When she's rebuilt, she will have to SVA'd because she will have been sorned for more than 3 years being rebuilt, but she will score 9 points, so will not require a Q plate - otherwise, i wouldnt be doing it, i dont want a Q plate. I specifically asked the questions, and those are the answers i was given.

In response to Steve’s comment;

“Plenty of people have accidents in vehicles that should have an SVA/IVA and get paid up without issue”

Could also be taken as misleading- do you have access to some information to back this claim up?

Whilst I agree that if an accident is serious enough, investigations are carried out as to the condition and safety of the vehicle, that doesn’t discharge any responsibility to complying with the law in the first place.

It seems to me to be pretty clear- if you do not declare modifications to the insurance company, or the vehicle is in an un-roadworthy or is illegal to drive on the road because it should have had an IVA/SVA then your insurers can refuse to pay up. I therefore believe that no-one here should be condoning driving an illegal vehicle. Period.