Forum greenlane trip to North Wales

GBMUD

there is a good camp site not far from the chain bridge hotel.. Abbey farm, valle crucis abbey.

also try abbey grange hotel or the white waters country hotel all resonably close to each other

I agree with gaf lad, you seem to have chosen the most expensive hotel in the area,as it is renowned for wedding parties and they may not appreciate a load of mucky landies cluttering up the car park? There is plenty of camping to be had in the area and may be a better option.If not i would personally chose a place outside of Llangollen as it is a big tourist trap and so is priced accordingly!

:blink:

I agree with gaf lad, you seem to have chosen the most expensive hotel in the area,as it is renowned for wedding parties and they may not appreciate a load of mucky landies cluttering up the car park? There is plenty of camping to be had in the area and may be a better option.If not i would personally chose a place outside of Llangollen as it is a big tourist trap and so is priced accordingly!

:blink:

Nobody has chosen anything as yet, nobody is in charge, nobody is organizing anything! :D

What we have so far are a number of options for accommodation so people can chose their own arrangement.

The date is agreed that's all so far.

Nearer the date groups of four vehicles will be formed which will hopefully include someone with either local knowledge and or good navigation skills backed by sound experience of offroad/track driving who can chose routes that the others in the group may chose to follow.

I would suggest a common meeting place at the start of the day, which is why the Wild Pheasant is on the list of options as the carpark is quite large.

The Chain Bridge Hotel although more central, can only accommodate 20 vehicles which may not suffice.

If anyone has local knowledge and or suggestions 'we' are all ears i'm sure. :)

John

Nobody has chosen anything as yet, nobody is in charge, nobody is organizing anything! :D

With that firmly in mind, I also have the following suggestions from ukgser.com who had a spring break there. I asked about a decent, reasonably priced hotel in Llangollen:

'Tosser' is a term of affection among the ukgser.com community.

It depends ...

... on what you mean by 'decent'; The Handis the tosser hotel of choice, but to be fair, it's seen better days. However, the level of beer consumption soon sorts that out, and it's got a big car-park

The Wild Pheasant on the A5 has been offering big discounts lately, newer than the Hand, half a mile up the road from the centre of town
Wynnstay Arms, Llangollen.

Any more love for the offerings there? Ultimately, it is a holiday and I do not mind spending enough to get a decent room, it is not a lot more. If camping in the cold is what floats your boat that is fine with me, live and let die live.

Any sense on the subject of revised prices in the light of my observation above John?

Chris

Hmm, i'm interested in this, but a bit unsure...

Firstly the disco is currently in bonnie scotland, but i'm hoping to get it down here long before november so that shouldnt be an issue.

What i'm more concerned about is how intense the driving is likely to be. If we do come along, the missus would be driving (i dont currently have a licence), and shes never been offroad before (nor have i but thats kinda irrelevant if i'm not driving!). I dont want to come along then hold everyone up because we're complete n00bs, but then being a greenlane trip should in theory mean its not too extreme right?

Would be nice to get some use out of the disco before the years out!

John, do you think that they will renegotiate? The price here is lower despite NOT being a group rate! £42.46¼ pppn

Chris

Chris

I have been advised that the best possible price is £40/ppn for B&B and £55/ppn for DB&B.

The normal 3 course dinner rate is £22.50 so £15 is not a bad deal.

I don't know that Llangollen is well served with good evening food alternatives. There will be a chippy but not sure about Curries/Chinese and if there are any they may be of dubious quality, unless a "local" can advise please.

At these rates I am prepared to book a twin room on a DB&B basis.

Anyone else please add you name here over the next few days and I will consolidate the list.

Once we have enough interest say 5 or more I will advise the Wild Pheasant to expect your booking.

Any queries please let me know.

John

i was not telling anybody which hotel/field to stay in living close to the area and having done nearly every lane in the area i was just giving you some other options for accomodation..

kev

Kev any advice you can give is most appreciated :)

Are you planning to come with us and if so would you be able to lead a group or give us some advance guidance as to routes, so we can see the best of what the area has to offer please.

Thanks

John

Camping for me - just bought myself one of those "chuck it in the air and it's pitched" tents - it great fun :D

You'd better hope it doesn't rain or there isn't a heavy dew then!

Last event I was at the occupant of one such tent may have well slept under his trailer for all the protection it gave him!!

Turbo - 2 nights - Friday/Saturday

As there are now 5 people interested I will contact the Wild Pheasant for a reference that I can post here which you can quote when you book, to ensure you get the prices quoted above.

Paul - thanks, it's the White Waters Country Hotel a mile going north out of town. No rooms available that weekend!

Will you be able to recommend some routes please, as I know you are not free.

Perhaps you could come up one evening while we are there to say hello.

John

Ten rooms are now reserved at The Wild Pheasant for individuals to book!

They will take a booking for B&B at £40pppn (2 people per room) with the choice to upgrade to the Dinner option (£15 for 3 courses) nearer the date for one or both nights.

I will book the dinner option for the Friday.

I have sent a PM to those already on the list with the booking code to ensure they get the discounted rate.

Anyone else wanting to book please post your interest and I will PM you.

John

Turbo - 2 nights - Friday/Saturday

As there are now 5 people interested I will contact the Wild Pheasant for a reference that I can post here which you can quote when you book, to ensure you get the prices quoted above.

Paul - thanks, it's the White Waters Country Hotel a mile going north out of town. No rooms available that weekend!

Will you be able to recommend some routes please, as I know you are not free.

Perhaps you could come up one evening while we are there to say hello.

John

Routes and lanes are not a problem :) I will see what time I finish work on those days and see if I can pop up.

Paul