Forum greenlane trip to North Wales

GBMUD

Firstly this is not an organized trip, just a group of Land Rover enthusiasts turning up at the same time and place to do some off roading!

Anyone is welcome to turn-up as long as we have enough people to lead the way, not an issue so far. You may find a hotel car park to sleep over in, or a campsite where others may be staying.

As it stands I suspect we will all meet at say 09.30 Saturday morning in the car park (lots of space) of The Wild Pheasant on the A5 1/2mile north of Llangollen.

If others wish to team up and start from an alternative place thats up to them.

Once assembled we will head off on groups of 4 possibly 5 vehicles to different starting points as yet to be determined.

Finishing the day before dusk at respective accommodation then meeting up if desired for a beer or two and something to eat.

Sunday probably a shorter day out for most so they can get home, otherwise similar format to Saturday.

Hope this helps.

John

I might be able to make this now. Tentatively put Jude & I down as attending. We will camp somewhere, so no need for a hotel.

How intense are the lanes we are planning? I have the Patriot & RTT in place, so could really do with not putting my old boy on its side.

John (Turbocharger) remember, I owe you a beer! smile.gif

Also found these pictures of lanes in North Wales, to whet the collective appetite.

Wales Lanes Link

Martin

The routes are down to individuals, so any route taken is at your own risk, if you don't like the route of the vehicles in front, you can divert.

I doubt very much that anyone will be intending to damage their vehicles given the need to travel home.

N.Wales is likely to be a lot less severe that what you would expect to find crossing Africa, so a roof rack and tent should help with the learning curve of your and your vehicles limitations in an off road environment.

John

Martin

The routes are down to individuals, so any route taken is at your own risk, if you don't like the route of the vehicles in front, you can divert.

I doubt very much that anyone will be intending to damage their vehicles given the need to travel home.

N.Wales is likely to be a lot less severe that what you would expect to find crossing Africa, so a roof rack and tent should help with the learning curve of your and your vehicles limitations in an off road environment.

John

Cheers John.

I know I can divert if I choose to, but the whole point of us all getting together is to get to meet each other face to face, and have fun together as a group :). I dont really want to find myself in a situation where I end up spending most of my driving day on my own.

I appreciate that nobody will want to intentionally damage their vehicle; but some might be able to cope with some body damage better than I can.

The reason for me wanting to come on the trip in the first place, is to meet some new people, and as you say, get some more off-road experience with a laden vehicle.

Martin

Cheers John.

I know I can divert if I choose to, but the whole point of us all getting together is to get to meet each other face to face, and have fun together as a group :). I dont really want to find myself in a situation where I end up spending most of my driving day on my own.

I appreciate that nobody will want to intentionally damage their vehicle; but some might be able to cope with some body damage better than I can.

The reason for me wanting to come on the trip in the first place, is to meet some new people, and as you say, get some more off-road experience with a laden vehicle.

Martin

Martin,

I have done a fair few lanes in Wales in the past, albeit not this exact region, and I've not found them to be damaging. Now Dartmoor, that's another matter - many lanes I drove there were only just wide enough for a Suzuki!

My truck is pretty old, and I have to look hard to find an undamaged panel, but I still aim to avoid any more. I think I have only sustained a small number of 'laning scars' in the 15 years we've been together.

Generally I would say that if a route is likely to cause that much damage we possibly ought not to be there. Scratches from hedges will polish out, and Holly bushes always sound far worse than they really are :lol:

I'm sure you will be quite OK on this trip. With the travel plans of yours I have read about so far I imagine you will be practicing driving to avoid trouble rather than go looking for it.

Look forward to meeting you.

Any trip to the LLangollen area will certainly involve a drive of the Wayfearer lane and I wouldn't hestitate to drive a brand new Range Rover across it. BUT, it is a wonderful lane with great veiws and some technical driving and would be worth the trip to do this one lane alone.

The Pheasant pen steps lane!! Now that is a different kettle of fish......

Any trip to the LLangollen area will certainly involve a drive of the Wayfearer lane and I wouldn't hestitate to drive a brand new Range Rover across it as it is unlikey to be mine it wont matter what happens to it

????

Anyone know the LR 1:5o sheet no for the area?

Hi James

Now I can't go, you can have my maps if you want, have 115, 116, 124, 125 & 126. Also have 135 & 136 if you are venture south a bit.

I can post them or can send them with John, headhunter, to pick up from when there.

Cheers

Steve

Any trip to the LLangollen area will certainly involve a drive of the Wayfearer lane..... it is a wonderful lane with great veiws and some technical driving and would be worth the trip to do this one lane alone.

Now then, I have driven the Wayfarers Pass before (on my own) and I have to admit, it was very far from being a wonderful lane. To be honest I was actually quite bored for almost all of it except the tight gates right at the end. Was I missing something?

Those gates were a bit hair-raising though! SWMBO is not that clued up on giving me hand signal directions (despite me constantly trying to educate her mad.gif ) and I pretty much had to navigate my way through on my own. They were all OK actually, apart from one, where the gate was about a fag paper away from me mirror ohmy.gif

Hi James

Now I can't go, you can have my maps if you want, have 115, 116, 124, 125 & 126. Also have 135 & 136 if you are venture south a bit.

I can post them or can send them with John, headhunter, to pick up from when there.

Cheers

Steve

Steve that would be ideal if thats OK, please could you send them up with John if thats not too much trouble, or if its easier post them.

thank you

Now then, I have driven the Wayfarers Pass before (on my own) and I have to admit, it was very far from being a wonderful lane. To be honest I was actually quite bored for almost all of it except the tight gates right at the end. Was I missing something?

Those gates were a bit hair-raising though! SWMBO is not that clued up on giving me hand signal directions (despite me constantly trying to educate her mad.gif ) and I pretty much had to navigate my way through on my own. They were all OK actually, apart from one, where the gate was about a fag paper away from me mirror ohmy.gif

Those gates are the wide ones, I can send you to some with less room! :blink::lol:

Paul