GPS antenna

Exmoor Beast

I have just bought a GPS antenna as my GPS is hopeless without one. (£12 -eBay!)

Wheres the best place to fit it? presumably it needs to be level and out of the way of potential damage :( not easy as I carry stuff on the roof all the time and Exmoor laning generally means scraping through overhanging bushes etc.

I know Tony C stuck his to the snorkel top. I am pretty sure I would knock it off there in no time.

Any ideas?

Will

I have had one of these GPS mouse things for quite a while with a PS2 connector (then a converter to USB) on the end. Unfortunately it stopped working recently, and I really can't remember where it came from (although I remember that I got it from an internet shop quite cheap) Any suggestions of where to get them from?

Cheers.

Is it a "Mouse" type Will? Mine is stuck to the rear of the roof and the cable goes straight down the back of the car and inside - protected by gafer tape. I have never managed to knock it off - it stands about 15mm tall.

Chris

Guest diesel_jim

i welded a flat plate to one of the top rollbar rails on my 90, but welded it onto the "bottom" of the tube, so the plate and antenna sit below the very top of the cage.

I fit mine to the snorkle top when in South africa.

In the UK where it's likely to be stolen or tampered with I have a steel bracket screwed to the top of the body side and the aerial fits inside the alpine light.

Assuming you have an alpine light !! :lol::lol:

I eat rat poison

mike

I can cause trouible in an empty house !!

Keir - no symptoms or does the little red light come on, but dim? I had the dim problem (no, not me personally) and I found opening it up and thoroughly drying the inside did the job. There's also a battery in there that can go flat and make the whole unit go u/s. Remove it and test - if it works now, replace the battery.

(The battery allows it to remember where it was last, or where to look for satellites or something clever and electronic that I don't understand. Low voltage here means the unit packs up, no voltage means it works fine but it's amnesic so takes longer to acquire satellites when you power-up)

My GPS sits on top of the snorkel and I'm amazed it hasn't ended up hanging by its lead but sofa, so good.

I think a little plate low down behind the top screen bar is the answer for me. Perhaps I can ties some in with mounting some lights <_<

Will :D

Hi Will,

it will work perefectly well stuck to the inner wing under your plastic vent cover on the wing. IT's never going to be knocked off here, even by you! ;);)

Cheers

Steve

I fit mine to the snorkle top when in South africa....

Most of the Australian GPS mice are also mounted on top of the snorkle

with the cables going down inside the snorkle under the bonnet and out

just before the aircleaner.

The higher up the better as the frequency is fairly high it is line of sight

to each satellite, and you need to be able to "see" enough (4?) satellites for

a fix.

ttfn

Matthew

I've got a bluetooth one for my PDA which I mounted on top of the ash tray with a bit of elastic cord, got perfect signal with it even under trees this weekend - far better than the Etrex.

Not much help to you Will, but shows that there are ones available which don't need externally mounted antennas to get a signal :D

Richard