Challenge truck

red90 driver

Today we went to see a nice man about building us a new challenge truck / crash'n'bash.

There are 2 flavours available, either 100" or 88" wheelbase. There does seem to be a move to 100" by a lot of people, but we are leaning more towards 88".

We are now very confused about which one will be best for us, and wish to open a discussion of the pro's and cons of each type to the grownups....

We're not interested in doing speed event, and the majority of venues we seem to do involve lots of trees and ditches.

The amount of storage capacity on each truck is very similar

88" will be more manouverable.

100" will be more stable at speed.

So, what's everyone's opinions please......

Colour? Candy apple red, with metal flake, and laquer. Or, blue as thats whats on the V5 of the donor vehicle.

94" means we stay with the 90. It's a lard bucket. Hopefully will be down to 1700-1800 kilos.

Still think the 88" is the better option, no-one has convinced me fully to the dark side....yet.

Last Christmas we re-chassied mine and went from 86" to 100" without any changes really to the body, and all I can say it's more stable especially up and down steep inclines, definitley better over ruts and ditches, but not so sprightly on the tight turns between the sticks, but certainly more stable when I get chance to unleash the beast in a straight line at times.

Where I was struggleing is following 100" motors over ditches and wide ruts and sometimes dropping in the middle, if you know what I mean, be OK with 44" boggers I'm sure.

Hard choice, never the right one either, good luck pal.

On an 88" you very restricted where the engine and boxes go, often having to mount them further forward than ideal to control propshaft angles. This was one of the reasons lr went from 88 to 93 with the introduction of coils.

Having gone from 88 to 100 the only drawback is the wider turning circle.

well, after reading everyones replies, and reading a relevant thread on Devon, it seems that 100" will be the sensible way forward.

Although,

we're not aiming to be competitive (unless we're teamed up with Dafydd), and yes, 88" would be fun, the pro's definately outweigh the cons of going 100".

Many thanks to those that replied and have sorted our heads out.

cheers, nick

a 100" will struggle on ramp-over angles compared to an 88", if you were to assume similar suspensions setups and such, and not have lifts on the coil 100" (which I'd assume it would be?). However, because it is a coiler you can lift it to improve that, and the extra length of wheelbase be make you securer in climbing. I've had a near lift-off in my 88, and thats not funny, and Ive seen enough vids on youtube and the like where the front of a motor just lifted up and its gone bumper over bumper.

Its like my bike. Its not possible to get the from wheel off the ground - you cant wheelie it (which is illegal on the road anyway I know...) Because I am 500mm longer, it just wont lift it.

100" seems to have set itself up as a 'challenge' standard these days, theres more and more people building them, and that fact alone must say something about it.

100" seems to have set itself up as a 'challenge' standard these days, theres more and more people building them, and that fact alone must say something about it.

I'm sure the availability of 100" chassis/donar vehicle goes a long way toward this, the amount of Discovery1/RRC's you see kicking around, and at under £1k its a good place to start.

When will people learn - 109" is the perfect wheelbase :P

My new build will be 108" to 112", it's not for UK challenges though. The main reasons are stability at speed and climbing ability. I've seen my Brother-in-law's 110 climb many things that a 100" couldn't and would do more on a longer wheel base. It doesn't struggle for break over due to the 44" tyres!

post-5209-125897416191_thumb.jpg

My new build will be 108" to 112", it's not for UK challenges though. The main reasons are stability at speed and climbing ability. I've seen my Brother-in-law's 110 climb many things that a 100" couldn't and would do more on a longer wheel base. It doesn't struggle for break over due to the 44" tyres!

Yes but in the time it takes that truck to climb a massive cliff,rock etc.. more "normal" trucks would have found another route and be two pages further on in the road book :rofl:

My truck works out about 101" wheel base and is on 35" tyres and 90 truck cab body, having a wheel as close as it can get to each conner of the truck makes for a very stable machine. very good approach and departure angles. I do some times get hung up due to the break over angle, but taller tyres, a re-design of the rear link mounts and good belly skid should sort this..

post-1650-125897861893_thumb.jpg

just my 2 pence worth..

Yes but in the time it takes that truck to climb a massive cliff,rock etc.. more "normal" trucks would have found another route and be two pages further on in the road book :rofl:

True, but that's more down to the barking mad driver than the wheelbase. Perhaps if he lowered the tyre pressures below 50psi and reduced the weight by a ton or so it would be a more effective machine. I have a particularily amusing Youtube link of him failing to scale a small muddy slope while you wait for him, I'll post it up somewhere else ;)

:ph34r:

Today we went to see a nice man about building us a new challenge truck / crash'n'bash.

There are 2 flavours available, either 100" or 88" wheelbase. There does seem to be a move to 100" by a lot of people, but we are leaning more towards 88".

We are now very confused about which one will be best for us, and wish to open a discussion of the pro's and cons of each type to the grownups....

We're not interested in doing speed event, and the majority of venues we seem to do involve lots of trees and ditches.

The amount of storage capacity on each truck is very similar

88" will be more manouverable.

100" will be more stable at speed.

So, what's everyone's opinions please......

Mine is 120" climbs faster than a fast thing & crosses ditches likec there not there :D

Mind you 4 wheel steer , 44s & Spidertrax Portals helps as well ;)

http://blog.dgtuning.com/

Pete, we all know if they made challenge truck top trumps your new car would be the one that wins whatever you pick. :D:D:D

Whatever you choice is down to preference - to some extent the minimum wheelbase is dictated by the engine and gearbox length. You don't want to make the car too short for your chosen combo....

A 100 will be better at crossing ditches, as one end can be clear before the other end goes in.

100 will be better at climbs/decents, the 88 will be less stable.

Just take longer waffle boards :) .

post-978-12590040703.jpg

A 88" won class 3 Howling Wolf this year and actually came 4th overall in round 5, condiions just suited.

what size boggers are they on Petal?

Petal / Mouse run 40's because that's what the regs state.

TBH there is no right answer on wheelbase, the only deciding factors are personal preference and intended use and frankly any common LR wheelbase is within the realms of acceptability for most of the stuff people do.

If you're going faster or climbing steeply more then longer is more stable. But tight turns or sharp breakovers, shorter is better (and of course lighter, all else being equal). Things like ditch crossing etc. it is really dependent on the ditch in question.

Petal / Mouse run 40's because that's what the regs state.

TBH there is no right answer on wheelbase, the only deciding factors are personal preference and intended use and frankly any common LR wheelbase is within the realms of acceptability for most of the stuff people do.

If you're going faster or climbing steeply more then longer is more stable. But tight turns or sharp breakovers, shorter is better (and of course lighter, all else being equal). Things like ditch crossing etc. it is really dependent on the ditch in question.

Very true - you can have an obstacle that will stump one wheelbase but another will drive straight over. I remember clearly the first event Nick Walker did with his bobtailed Range Rover where he got into all sorts of trouble on, what appeared to be, a very easy section. However, then and there, a 100" didn't work!