90 Fuel tank

Mo Murphy

Didn't somebody in here make a whole tank up out of 6mm steel or something?

The Equipe alli tank guards look quite sexy, though I have never biffed the side tank on a 90 on anything myself, unlike the rear tanks which get biffed quite a lot. Mind you there aren't that many tree stumps in the average peat bog :D

Thank you Stephen, I fear that would be a tad hefty :)

However I do recall a thread on the old forum, where additionally reinforced tanks that were available were discussed as well as people who were galvanising tanks.

What about tank guards ? Do you use one ? Is it any good ?

Come along don't be shy, post up :)

Mo

I could do with a galvanised tank as mine has started to leak. The tank gaurd looks like the cause of the problem. Is there am easy way to stop the build up of c**p between the tank & the gaurd.

Martin

I have a tank guard on mine, nice alewminnnnium one that came from Bearmach at a reasonable price, but then my tank is at the back on the new 90, where one is somewhat more likely to smite it on a rock.

Also the tank is plastic, which is carp for most reasons but one good point is that it ain't going to rust through :)

Got to say it, the best we've used so far (And i've bent quite a few)

Is the one from Gwyn Lewis

It's the bee's knees

And very sensibly priced.

Jim :)

Ps: Someone does make an anodised tank, but can not for the life of me think who.

Try Jake Wright of Yorkshire, i think it's them but not sure :rolleyes:

The time has come to replace the 90s fuel tank, hastened in it's demise by an exmoor tree stump.

Are 90 fuel tanks available galvanised and strengthened underneath ?

Your suggestions gents

:)

Hi

Well my 90 tank went the other day as were go up the Tamini Road (track really) and a very bumpy and corricated road. Which is what caused the tank to go. We had a choice of going back to Alice Springs which was 300 Miles one way or Broome which was 900 miles the other way. So we went back to Alice springs where i found the Tonk :lol: of Alice springs and managed to get it welded.So no problem . But i could have been as our 90 was never imported into Aus so hence there are no 90 feul tanks out here

Southdown one is bombproof but could do with some drainage holes added.

I've had one for a few years but your write it could do with drain holes as cleaning behind it is imposible.

I think during the rebuild we will pack it with expanding foam to stop the mud and water getting in.

Julian

I've had one for a few years but your write it could do with drain holes as cleaning behind it is imposible.

I think during the rebuild we will pack it with expanding foam to stop the mud and water getting in.

Julian

I just drilled some 45 mm hole in mine. Easy clean now and pretty bomb proof.

Dave

Hi

Well my 90 tank went the other day as were go up the Tamini Road (track really) and a very bumpy and corricated road. Which is what caused the tank to go. We had a choice of going back to Alice Springs which was 300 Miles one way or Broome which was 900 miles the other way. So we went back to Alice springs where i found the Tonk :lol: of Alice springs and managed to get it welded.So no problem . But i could have been as our 90 was never imported into Aus so hence there are no 90 feul tanks out here

ah yeah, just remembered u asked me to teach u to weld before u left the country :rolleyes:

I've got the Southdown one too. Fitting was 'fun' but it is totally bombproof. However, you've got no chance of cleaning behind it so corrosion'll kill the tank eventually.

I'm not totally sure what I'm going to do in the future as I'm putting the battery box into the rear tub and I'm planning a second fuel tank on the passenger side. I'm thinking about having two, smaller, strengthened made up to sit on each side of the vehicle but I'm still thinking....

for td5 rear tank i would suggest Southdown one and packing out the gaps as suggested above. i have one of these on my 90 as does Walfy, but you will prob need to get it made to measure - something different about the td5 setups and variants i believe.

i also have a southdown side tank protector and that is a bugger to clean behind if not impossible, really it needs to come off and be refitted with expanding foam to fill the gaps i suppose - one day i will get around to it!

no problems with fitting either though.

I got mine a five or six years ago for £150 inc vat and del.

Del took over twelve weeks mind.

see six years and I still remember the carp del time

:lol::lol: and i bought one a month later at Sodbury for 40 pounds and you told me off for trying to get the price down :lol: