What Landy would you build?

jjojjas

Hi,

:)

Been a long time since I was on here, since I sold my 110 a few years back I guess (Hi to anyone who remembers me :D ).

Basically I'm looking into a new project. I built an old mini last year and I realised I wanted to get another landy as I missed the 110.....so heres what I'm thinking

Short wheelbase

maybe soft top?

tdi or V8...no old lumps

Just a toy really, no serious off road, just taking me & the mountain bikes / dogs out, although I may fit two forward facing seats in the rear (not sure). I'm just not sure where to start :blink:

What do you think? Start with a 90 or start with a series? Whats the better bet financially?

(ps. I still weld, spray, build motors and have a workshop so I'm reasonably capable....I'm just out of touch with the landy scene and I always got sound advice here :) )

Jas

I think if I was to start a new Land Rover project I would probably use a 90 TDi for the comfort.

However, realistically I would most probably look for a Series 2 109 pick up with a shortened hard top to get a cab and a half for internal storage space and still have a decent pick up bed. I would most likely want to use a better diesel engine though I would also be tempted to make it an electric drive.

Something that would get my pulse racing a bit for real lunacy would be to make a 6x6 Series 2B Forward Control on huge tyres with Unimog portals and twin steer.

I think whatever came along that had a good chassis, mechanicals and engine and was sort of the right shape would probably be hard to pass by as a starting point.

NAS style 90 anyone? :wub:

You could start with a leafer too. They're rapidly becoming classic cars, all of them, rather than cheap toys. Maybe worth putting one back together if you want something which is going up in value?

tdi or V8...no old lumps

Erm, both the TDi and Rover V8 are quite old now. :ph34r:

Take a 110, put in a V8 (4.6 out of rr p38), install an auto box (zf 4hp24). You'll have a car that fits your requirements (mountain bike...) and makes a lot of fun. If you want something special run the v8 on MegaSquirt and the auto box on compushift. That gives you the possibility to do what you want. The 4.6 is good to make up to 260 - 280HP and the 4HP24 is strong enough to take the torque

Cheers

Along the lines of Q-rover or berti. A 110 probably with a nice big engine - prob diesel with transmission that can take it. Then kit the inside out so it is as luxurious as a range rover.... I'm sure anything is possible with the time and money and patience!

My ideal build would be an expedition ready 110 Crew Cab on Galv chassis with 300 TDi engine!

2nd row of seats would be secondary load space & fridge housing on runner system. One of those nice aluminium bodied rear load space things (Camelbak?) from Trek Overland and onboard water, long range tanks etc.

Painted either Zambezi Silver r Bonatti Grey :wub:

It would have to be, Limestone white S11A lwb sw safari, on galv paraboliic sprung chassis, with 2.8 intercooled EYE ZOOZOO mated to a ZF 4 speed auto. Oh and power steering And Tax Exempt of course. wheels? prob just 1 ton rims with 255/85 stt's on.

Mild would be NAS spec 90, great for every day fun.

Mid effort would be 110 station wagon or crew cab on Toyota 80 series axles, plus Toyota 80 series 4.2 diesel and autobox. Add late model luxuries inside. The best Jap running gear with classic Landrover looks and feel.

Wild would be a 101 with all Yank running gear - start with a 1 ton chevy, ford or dodge (petrol or diesel) and chuck all the drivetrain at an incomplete 101 keeping the leaf springs and you'd have some seriously hard core, but cheap fun!

What Landy would you build?

The one you like. And what that is, is going to be up to you.

All I would say is that running costs are going to be an issue, and before 2000 for cheap tax and diesel power would be my advice. You could say that few miles mean low running costs,and it wont be such a problem, but try to imagine how much road tax or a litre of petrol will be in 5 years time.

Daan

Another thought is that if you're building something, you need to either start with something that's quite close (eg no point converting a leafer to coils when you can buy a coiler and just change some body panels for the look) or don't start with anything and just buy the right bits to start with to save throwing half a vehicle away.

I'm with Night Train on this one, I'd build another 6x6,or an 8x8,this time with an articulated chassis and portals, applying all the lessons I learned fom my earlier efforts.It wouldn't necessarily be based on landRover component either.

I have tried, and my vehicle has been quite successful in its various guises, but I don't believe it is possible to build a true extreme mobility crosscountry vehicle with sufficient space for carrying supplies and equipment for extended overland travel with less than 3 axles.LWB 4x4's just belly out too easily for the type of terrain I'm into and SWB don't have the space or stability, and still have too much gap between the wheels.

Bill.

I'd build a 100" defender hard top..

Buy a mid-90's 300Tdi disco MOT failure (could be as little as (£600 these days)

A new galved 100" defender chassis (think Richards chassis do them for around £1200)

a stack of defender body panels from autojumbles, with a bit of cunning you could build a really good 300Tdi, 100" defender for around 4k...