Mobile toolkit and spares

Tetsu0san

Hi all

I am looking to make up a tool and spares kit to allow me to do basic repairs whilst on the road. I am not talking about an expedition support kit, I am just talking about having the bare minimum to get you going again, like screwdrivers, spanners, fan belt etc. Nothing too fancy. I have a 300Tdi Disco, but I suppose that most tools will fit most trucks.

This question has been on my mind for a while, and since we have had a fair bit of snow around my area recently it seemed to be more relavent than ever.

So, what would you have in your kit?

As FF says, some people carry welding gear and an engine crane, some just take a credit card and their AA membership. I've got a little 8" plastic toolbox with as many cheap, useful size spanners, screwdrivers and a hammer as will fit in it, plus a hub nut spanner and wheel bearings. I'm not in the AA, but so long as I can rectify whatever's broken so it'll roll, I can call a mate to tow me home.

My toolkit box generally contains:

Pliers

Hammer

13mm and 11mm spanners

A mini socket set, which doubles as a screwdriver set

A rachet screwdriver anyway

Some cable ties

Bit of rag

Cheap multimeter

All manner of discarded by re-usable small fixings, bolts, screws, nuts washers etc. in the bottom

Probably some other things I can't remember

I also generally have in the vehicle:

A tow strap

A tow rope

A few shackles

Jump leads

A fan belt and power steering belt

A couple of spare fuses etc.

I pay for my AA membership, so if something goes wrong I'll make use of it. I could carry more spares, but to be honest it's not worth it and I struggle for secure space in a truck cab anyhow :(

Apart from the usual wheel changing stuff i have...

Small toolbox with:

Roll of spanners metric and imperial

Adjustable spanner -useful for opposing something if you don't have 2 of the right size.

Screwdriver selection

Allen keys

Pliers

Wire cutters

Wire strippers

Wire -various gauges and lengths :D

Lucar terminals

Bullet terminals

Cable ties

Multimeter

Timing light

Insulation tape

Duck/Duct tape

PTFE tape

Soldering Iron

Solder

Spare fuses

Ratchet strap

WD40

Engine oil - I have to check my levels at work, as my space at home is on too much of a hill. :angry:

In this weather especially I carry a 10l can of unleaded with me too.

This is all in the car mainly because I live in a small 2up 2down and can't keep all that stuff in the house- I use it on the 90 anyway mostly so it just stays with it. :)

basic wheel changing kit plus

pliers

screwdrivers

a few sockets of pertinent sizes + ratchet!

a few spanners which usually turn out to be the wrong ones

Large adjustable

Jump Leads

tape - insulation and duct tape

cable ties of varying lengths

and for some reasona heli coil kit

tow rope

oil, water + can of diesel

I work on the principle that I can usually remove whatever breaks or bodge sufficiently to limp home

When I used to do enduro riding (bikes may as well have been steam powered it was that long ago) we used to tape spanners to bits of the bike and add jubilee clips around the frame to transort them without having to actually have a tool kit about your person, not sure why I added that but it might appeal to someone

I carry roughly what the others have listed, but with a couple of other bits:

A bit of emery cloth (for cleaning terminals)

A few jubilee clips of a range of sizes

Breaker bar with wheel nut sized socket (easier than faffing with tiny tools if you need to get a wheel off)

Some spare bulbs

And although not a tool really- sail ties (Small bungees with a locking end) Bungees

These are reaklly useful!!

I find it's good to think about stuff you can take out as much as what you put in, and things that can have multiple uses rather than carrying several separate tools.

For example, a hacksaw is a big thing to carry, but a couple of hacksaw blades will tuck in the bottom of a tool box and you can do most things without a handle if you're careful.

I must admit i had most of my tools in mine as i had no where else to put them.

With regards FF comment-most things can be done like that, just please dont use files without handles. I'll never forget watching a gradute student in our college workshop leaning on it a bit hard and putting the tang into his forearm via his wrist.

on a more comedy note one tool that shouldnt be missed;

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/cspoutdoors_2088_4865150

perfect for green laning! :blink:

In my 200tdi disco I just keep my halfords pro tool kit in the back which consists of lots of sockets, ratchets, spanners, screwdrivers etc etc. I also have the wheel nut brace, trolley jack, towing strop, couple of screwdrivers and a nice fold up entrenching tool which my mate has yet to come and pick up. Really should get some jump leads though!

Along with much of the above I also included a bundle of mini jump leads. Basically small insulated croc clips, the type used for test instruments, joined with varying lengths of various sized cable. It was really good for replacing cable runs for those intermittent electrical faults that are hard to find in the cold, dark and wet. Great for keeping lights or wipers working when switches have burnt out.

I also packed cable ties from tiny plastic ones to big stainless steel ones.

I have even used a coke can and jubilee clips to repair a broken exhaust so it is worth not keeping the inside of your vehicle too tidy. :D

i carry:

oil

water

anti freeze mix

break fluid

full socket set

breaker bar

tool bag with most of what people have listed above (small tools!)

duc tape

hose repair tape

wheel bearings

drive flange

general cable and crimps

loads of bits of pipe

300 tdi bottom hose (plenty of hose, can be cut if required, lots of bends etc)

cam belt

(when i find some old ones, a set of push rods)

pipe (to repair heater hoses and the like)

Prop UJs

Basically anything i feel i could easily destroy off road or stop me from continuing what im doing i try to carry, for competitions ill carry as much as i can and leave it at base.

i life life by the sayings 'hope for the best, prepare for the worst' and 'fail to prepare, prepare to fail'.

In addition to this, if i know theres something broken on my vehicle it gets repaired as soon as its found, usually!