lt77 to r380

muddy4x4xfar

hi . i may need to change my discovery 200 tdi gearbox. if i was going to do that i hear you can put a 300tdi r380 in which are stronger for offroading and so on. has anyone done this , if so what are the problems im gonner come across. and how can i solve them.

iv never changed a gearbox before but im going to attempt to do so, (hey we only learn by doing.)

cheers everyone.

chris

Hi, I can't help on the R380 front as far as mods are concerned but I have just changed the lt77 in my 200tdi Disco. When I went to a local Discovery breaker I mentioned the idea of changing it for an R380 and was advised against it, he told me that he very rarely got R380s without second gear problems (it was second gear that killed my box and led me to wonder about the R380). I don't know if he was correct or not but given the number of Discos he was breaking he should have a fair idea. I ended up putting the gearbox and transfer back as one unit with the help of a friend and a trolley jack and in hindsight would have taken it out the same way as seperating the transfer box in situ was the most difficult part of the job on mine.

I think its a different output shaft as a min, is the bell housing different too?

Think I'd stick with the LT77 myself. The R380 isn't really that much stronger as far as I know, and if you are breaking an LT77 with a tdi engine, then I don't believe the R380 would last any longer.

That said, in my first Defender I managed to break the R380 in it (stock 300Tdi with a tweaked pump).

to be honest id just put a recon lt77 in, i personally like them a lot better!

Erm, it's basically the same box :ph34r: The R380 has a few improvements and is an inch longer (the bellhousings being an inch shorter to compensate) but aside from that there's not exactly a lot different between the two.

If you have a complete R380 & bellhousing etc. from a 300 Disco there's no great reason it won't bolt to a 200 Disco, there may well be detail differences with the clutch slave etc. which others will hopefully be able to tell you but given the 200 & 300 and LT77 & R380 are both minor evolutions of the earlier part it shouldn't be too hard.

A gander at the parts book for each setup should confirm any differences.

Swap the hand brake, speedo sender from the back of the LT77 onto the R380. Also need to swap the over the mounts. Other than that a TDi R380 will bolt straight into the gap left by a Tdi LT77 :)

• 10 years later...

Hi everyone, here's my plan. I have a 1994 300tdi with a rough body and a rotton chassis, good engine and box which I believe would be an R380 gearbox.. I also have a 1992 200tdi with a good body and great condition chassis, engine is spot on.. gearbox is not.. banging into gear when you take up the drive and I believe this to be the LT77 gearbox. As the 300 is going to the scrappies, could I remove the R380, attachĀ the LT77s bellhousing and then refit to my 200tdi? I'm pretty new to all this landrover stuff and I've been doing a lot of reading online, some folk saying don't do it and others saying they've done it.. realistically I'm looking for the cheapestĀ option to get the old girl back on the roadĀ šŸ˜šŸ¤£ Also - are the transfer boxes on the 200 and the 300 interchangeable? theres other aspects of the drivetrain I would like to check first before committing to the gearbox swap incase I'm missing something but I just want to be sure it can be done and be able to speak with someone that's successfully done it. Im not looking to swap the engine at all btw. all help is greatly received and much appreciated.

Ā 

NickĀ 

Edited by Did19

I've fitted a 300tdi to an lt77 before no problems, but you need to weld new engine mounts.Ā 

The stadard r380 has a longer bell housing that an lt77, so the input shafts are different lengths, so I doubt you can just change the bell housing over.

If I was in your predicament, I'd just swap the 300tdi engine and r380 box together.

Ā 

As I said above, in the same application the box is ~1" longer and the bellhousing on it is ~1" shorter so the overall package should be the same length, I know they did different overall lengths in different vehicles but @miketomcat and @TSD went on the Land Rover factory 200TDi + LT77 course and proved you could interchange 200 and 300.

As long as you swap the box WITH its bellhousing it should be OK, you MAY need to swap the clutch housing on the back, I don't do TDi's so don't know the full deets.

54 minutes ago, Daan said:

If your box is an lt77S, the difference in strength is negligible. I prefer the LT77S for offroading, as reverse is next to 1st and 2nd gear.

You see I fancy an R380 because it has reverse and first opposed AND syncro on Reverse

And it's quieter...Ā 

But I have four spare LT77's so will need to wait a whileĀ 

So I made a start on this yesterday, got both boxes out, luckily I have a double garage which has made it a bit easier but my advice to anyone doing this, if you can get access to a ramp it will be done in no time. So currently my 200tdi has a new clutch and the R380 box out of my 300tdi bolted straight on, no modification needed here fromĀ me anyway šŸ˜ with only the weight being the most difficult part so far. I still need to change the speedo drive and the handbrake before I can fit the R380s t-box. AsĀ FridgeFreezer said, both gearboxes are the same overall length - the gear stick on the R380 box sits a littleĀ further back than the LT77 by half inch or so because of thisĀ soĀ i may need to 'alter' the centre console to suit or maybe I can do something with the shifter instead but I'll address that later. šŸ¤” I plan to use the R380s gearbox mount, but I have both so will see what fits and post an update.Ā 

Edited by Did19
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...