Bling / Snake Oil or Great Idea ?

Been to am mates to help with engine probs,

(Now sorted :) )

Whilst there he proudly showed me these : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Checkpoint-Wheel-Nut-Indicator-27mm-Red-x100-/180497755597?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CommercialVehicleParts_SM&hash=item2a06812dcd#ht_2905wt_939

At which point I collapsed laughing and had hysterics at his expense

He was very put out telling me that"The Miltary and truck companies use them" which he had

to shout to get over the finger pointing and laughter.

So, home I wondered, are these snake oil / bling junk, the next sad "Must be seen with" product

or, are they genuinely a good idea / real safety boon, ?

me, well I am still sniggering, but wait to have the smile wiped off my face :(

Or Not ?

:rofl:

Nige

They have been used on trucks for a few years, and are now included in lots of drivers checks to check the nuts have not come loose, pointey end to pointey end in they don't line up something wrong, they are often florecent yellow.

So not that daft but the nuts are a lot closer on trucks. They would not work that well on a landy for two reasons nuts a lot further apart and there are only 5 so the working in pairs bit is out....

Jason.

post-15513-127422463602_thumb.jpg

True!!! :) my old chap works for Scania trucks as a fitter, and theses little bits of plastic are worth their weight in gold :P

Cant say i would ever stick them on a Landy though, bit OTT :lol:

Didnt realise they cost that much though :blink: they have boxes and boxes of the things!!!

FLAMES......DOWN...........................SHOT :P

Ian

:ph34r:

Ooops :P

Still think they look rather "Wickid innit" on a landie.

I'm still sniggering, whilst I sorted out something really not that importnat (engine running)

he spent the entire time trying to get a "Pretty Pattern" from the 5 of them on a wheel,

including drawings on paper and 2 x wheels on a side and comparing "Best Pattern". :lol:

As others have said, although I find the situation :rofl: I am wrong in that they may serve a purpose

Hey Ho, Now, what colour shall I go for :rolleyes:

:)

Nige

As much as I like Nige making a fool of him self, and putting his silly smug smile back from where it came. I can see his point.

I'm sure there is a very good point in ensuring that HGV's wheel nuts are definitely tight, and a simple visual check is a very good way of doing it. I think, as Si I'm sure will agree, that you should probably check your vehicle all over anyway.

"They would not work that well on a landy for two reasons nuts a lot further apart and there are only 5 so the working in pairs bit is out" - They don't have to be pointing to one another, they merely need to be in a set direction so that it is obvious when they come undone... so they can all point out in the same direction, or towards each other, pointy end to pointy end. So they can work on any stud pattern.

If you want to save yourself £40, all you need is a 27mm Socket (or a socket that fits your wheel nuts - smart a*se's), a medium length breaker bar, or preferably a torque wrench (set to 80lb/ft or 96lb/ft depending on alloy or steel), 5 minutes and some kind of muscle. If you can't tighten up all the nuts on your wheels, your pretty good to go.

Bit cheaper, easy peasy, so even Nige can handle that

Eeyore

PS nige,

Wouldn't worry about your wheel nuts so much,

Your car is so often having its wheels off repairing axles and such so... your wheel nuts will always be tight...

Eeyore

why do mine come loose after 50miles almost every time i change the wheels

rust is my main problem

why do mine come loose after 50miles almost every time i change the wheels

rust is my main problem

You are supposed to re-check them after that sort of distance for that very reason. They do settle into the bevelled bits on the wheels to a certain extent. When we have to have a tyre change at work (40ft artic) the fitter does the nuts up to specified torque, goes and has a cup of tea for half an hour then re-checks them. After the run we have to go back to workshop to check once more! Dare I say we have a very good record on keeping our wheels on! (keeping all things crossed and touching wood)

Andy

Sorry Nige, joke's on you. We have actually seriously considered these on team cars because of the abuse they take on corrugated roads. In the UK your LR nuts are unlikely to come loose but even a day of 100kph on potholes will unfasten things which are solid. I'm on my 2nd set of door hinges and probably need a 3rd soon, so that's about one set per event :blink: daily checks (as recommended in the LR green bible I believe) are order of play too.

Lots of moaning about the price ………….. at that price work out @ 40p each ……… that is a tad on the high side ……….. trade they are around 29p each, but yellow in colour.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssss …………. Nige is a knobhead ……… :hysterical:

It's not enough to torque the nuts up to spec. If you're having trouble with them coming loose I'd pay particular attention to making sure the wheel and hub are meticulously clean before you fit the wheel. If not, the nuts will come to torque statically but the wheel will 'settle' and the nuts will work loose. The pointers are very worthwhile to save you lugging the torque wrench all day.

For a more subtle version, torque them up and then put a Tippex line on the outer face of each nut. Glance down in the morning / outside the supermarket / returning stealthily from your mistress, job done.