Ashcrofts New Web site

white90

Very cool page, looks more "up to date" than the old one. They are quite interesting those R&P, very small tooth counts on both ring and pinion, surprises me a little, I can see the advantage on the Ringgear as the smaller it is the less it will deflect. But The lesser teeth, the lesser contact area, right? Or have I got this whole thing wrong?

Hi Soren

Yes and no , there is less tooth contact as you correctly point out but this is compensated for by a change to the 'helix angle' which gives more contact area, also but we now have the much thicker (stronger) tooth, have the upgrade of the material spec and provided a'reverse cut gear' for the front, all this gives a much stronger final drive.

Regards Ian Ashcroft

Ian,

As someone above has mentioned, the site works well in Internet Explorer, but looks less good in Google Chrome. I'll try Firefox & Safari later. It might be worth talking to the developers as they all have a reasonable share of the market and having built a nice looking site, it's worth making it look OK on all of them.

Personally, I only really use Chrome & Safari (on my iPhone).

Si

Apart from the left menu being rather tiny in Chrome (and thus most likely also Safari - both WebKit based), it seems to work fine. FF handles it nicely too. Same with Opera.

It's not the end of the world I agree - but if you've put a reasonable amount of development effort into a site, it's daft not to go the extra few yards and make it render on all the major browsers - no?

Si

It's not the end of the world I agree - but if you've put a reasonable amount of development effort into a site, it's daft not to go the extra few yards and make it render on all the major browsers - no?

Si

Not sure this was a major dev effort, more a skinning and data loading of cubecart. Hey, readers rides for £0, got to be deal of the century. Browser compatibility could be down to the skins but more likely down to the base platform.

Hi just to give you some idea of the new heavy duty range of R&P, a photo comparing the new 3.5 ratio with the original 3.54 ratio. Other ratio photos available if requested. Note the tooth profile and thickness, these are also stocked in 'reverse' cut for the front differential to give added strength.

rp3001.jpg

Regards Ian Ashcroft

but i must ask....whats next to break if the diffs pegged aswel :o

probably the ARB centre, or the propshaft UJs twisting off, or stripping the teeth off a gear in the main box...

It all moves up the chain getting progressively more and more expensive :ph34r:

Hi 'What breaks next' don't really know what will let go next but as the C&P is a known Rover weak link in the axle it is worth the effort to improve it. This has become more apparent as more people use the 35" tyres, pegging reduces breakage but I think most people will agree a heavier duty gear set was needed. Ultimately for those who want to up tyre sizes and engine power is increased we will move to the Force 9.

The Force 9 super heavy duty axle is alive and well, we have just received the first 30 R&P, designed specifically for us, the crown wheel is reduced in dia by 8mm from original to make it easier to fit into the Rover casing, the coast side flank angle (this is a problem on the Ford as it causes excessive side thrust when used on the hi pinion rear axle) has been changed to reduce the side thrusts, finally we have been working on the RD99 engagement collar (see the thread on Pirate). We have a totally new design which is out being tested ( 2 in Belgium, 1 in the US )hopefully testing of the new locking system will be completed soon. The diff castings,30off, are all complete, swivel housings almost complete.

Its taken a long time but in reality for a development project of this magnitude we have made good progress.

Thanks for your interest.

Regards Ian Ashcroft

Will be posting an update on the Force 9 soon.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like Ashcroft does have a certificate, but it isn't correctly set up.

www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is only valid for web166.secure-secure.co.uk.

(Error code: ssl_error_bad_cert_domain)

I'd certainly recommend sending a mail to them asking them to fix this issue before you use the order form.

well fwiw it looks like the order was processed even though I didn't fill in the payment section - someone from Ashcroft's emailed me very promptly to confirm (they have to calculate shipping manually anyway since I'm overseas)