Mach 5 wheels

I am looking for pictures of Mach 5s as made by Matt Lee. I am looking for pictures where the wheels have cracked. I am not looking for pictures of accident damage or of misuse. I have been told of people that have seen the cracked wheels but I need the pictures please. You do not need to post the pictures, just send me a PM and I will give an email address to send them to.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

I do not want to add fuel to fire....But

I thought it was only the early ones ie: without the rolled edge that gave problems????????

I might be mistaken though?????

However we have had quite a few that leak through the welds and have to be repaired, But this is found when we fit the tyres as new, not after use.

But saying this, I have used Mach 5's for 4 years without any problems.......

And i ain't that careful :lol::lol:

Jim

I have a set of 4 rims, the old type which I have used for 5 years or more?

Added one of the latest type with rolled edge 2 years ago as a spare, never a problem. Maybe I am just not trying hard enough to break them!

I have a couple of sets now, after bending disco steels,modulars etc, never had a problem with any of them, and as tough as the wolfs i used before !! Les B did go through a couple a while back, if i remember right,

will watch with intrest,

Been reading the comments – interesting! Thought I'd better respond, so here goes…..

Mr Humphries rang me and said the welding on a spoke had cracked, ok no problem I sent him a replacement within two days. (Not bad customer service) He rang after receiving it to say it was the wrong offset. I thought this was strange as I have been doing same offsets for a long time now. I asked him to send the wheel and I will check the offset and see the problem for myself.

Meanwhile he had another wheel crack in the same place.

When I saw the wheel, I realised, from the way it had been manufactured it was at least 4 years old, possibly 5 and it was very rusty and had had some serious off road hammer. I offered to repair both wheels FOC but said I could not really give him a new set, as they were too old and obviously had had a hard life. I have since learnt that Mr Humphries bought them second hand so how can he possibly know what the wheels have been through prior to him buying them?

Maybe I took the wrong decision, should I have given Mr Humphries a brand new set?

When I go off roading and break a shocker, for example, I do not ask for a replacement FOC, or complain about it on a forum, and then say I bought it 2nd hand!

The Mach 5 wheel is now in its 12th year of production and I have spent a lot of time & money on research & development to keep improving the quality and up dating machinery to meet the high demand, still evident today, as our order book is very busy! They have been tested and have got certification for road use.

Yes it is common knowledge, there have been problems with a few wheels, but the number is minimal compared with the number that have been sold and I have endeavoured to replace any faulty wheels with genuine problems.

Please email me any comments on this issue, the best one will win a brand new, heavy duty set of Mach 5 wheels, guaranteed for life!

(mjlee@tiscali.co.uk)

All I can now offer Mr Humphries, is that if he wants to come and see me I’ll sort him out.

Have a nice day!

Matt Lee

I will respond to this.

I have never asked for a new set of wheels. Yes Matt did send me another wheel, very good of him as I did not ask him to. I had called him to asked if it was ok to weld the wheel up my self and I was going to do this. But on speaking to others I was advised that if the weld went again I would be lible, thats when I spoke to matt again. Matt returnd the 1st wheel to me rewelded on the out side, but with the crack still on the inside.

As for the offset, the offset was out to the ones I had by 10mm, to me this was a bit far out. I never said I had had the wheels from new, but I never said that I had them second had either. Maybe I should have. But as I said the first email was asking if its ok to reweld the wheels and in what way, Tig, Mig or Arc.

In this time I had a second wheel crack on the same spoke, looking from the back, valve at the top the spoke to right of the valve.

I do not know how old the wheels are, but they are the new type with the rolled edge. I have had a set of the old type without any problems at all. The wheels had no damage to the rims so I took them as not having a very life. As for rust, then yes theres some surface rust, but there is some on mose steel wheels unless you repaint them everytime you scratch the paint.

I do not recall Mat offering to repair both wheels FOC, but as said he did reweld the first wheel for me. As from the start I have nevered asked for a new set. Would I ever buy another set? I dont honestly know. As Matt has told me They are past their working life as they are about 4 years old.

I am not looking for a new set, I will end up rewelding the other wheel and reuse them or get rid of them, I dont know what yet.

Paul

• 1 year later...
Guest WALFY

IIRC Devon4x4 are the only outlet at the moment for proper gen Mach 5 wheels. There are other company's offering Mach 5 esque wheels but as for quality you'll have to make your own mind up

I can back up Matt Lee here regarding customer service. I bought a early set and they were powdercoated by Matt.

1 developed a leak/ crack around a spoke and the powdercoating was flaking, without hesitation Matt replaced them.

The second set unfortunately also developed flaky powdercoating and Matt again offered to replace them.

this time I went with the zincpassivated coating and they lasted untill I sold the vehicle some years later.

I had no further problems and they performed well, including on holiday to Iceland and other places.

I feel I must also mention that I live in Norway, so for Matt to offer replacements without quibble was excellent.

Even when we visited his 'barn' we were met by friendly staff and offered great hospitality. Good cups of tea to

be had there.

I have had a set of 5x Mach 5s bought new from Matt.

These are also the later rolled edge type,

and, dispite me 'lovingly pre-owning' them for some years absolutely no issues at all

and I would recomend MJL Enginnering to anyone, their customer service is up there with the best on all they make.

Bear in mind with Mach 5s is Matt did / does do special orders of backspace / offset, so not all Mach5s are the same :unsure:

Nige

I have had a set of 5x Mach 5s bought new from Matt.

These are also the later rolled edge type,

and, dispite me 'lovingly pre-owning' them for some years absolutely no issues at all

and I would recomend MJL Enginnering to anyone, their customer service is up there with the best on all they make.

Bear in mind with Mach 5s is Matt did / does do special orders of backspace / offset, so not all Mach5s are the same :unsure:

Nige

Same as Nige, I have 2 sets, the first are 8 years old were blue, then grey, then metallic grey and now black :lol: Must have done at least 70,000 miles on and plenty of off-road. Seen BFG muds, and Bronco tyres on them, they are the old straight edge type.

My new set are rolled edge and run mud tyres only. 2 of the rims had a slight leak in the weld joining the 2 piece rim (single piece on the old ones). Bit of weld fixed the leak :lol: Cannot say I have ever had serious problems apart from the powder coated paint on the old set flaking off but that was not applied by Matt.

Smashing rims look fantastic strong and reliable.

Nothing to do with the origional post but, I once saw a log get wedged betwen the spokes during a competion and destroy the brake caliper. Also seen and huge stone wedged in between the spokes and brake caliper.

I have a set and considered putting some form of protection on the back of the spokes to help prevent this, maybe welding a length of bar ?.

If Matt reads this perhaps he might have a view.

On the other hand, I had no problems crossing rivers in Iceland as the open design

of the wheels allows for a lot of water to flow through. The friends I was with all had

similar 'whitespoke' type wheels and several times they noticed their vehicles being

moved off course by the current.

I ran fully inflated 33" tyres, they were running low pressure 35" tyres.

Nothing to do with the origional post but, I once saw a log get wedged betwen the spokes during a competion and destroy the brake caliper. Also seen and huge stone wedged in between the spokes and brake caliper.

I have a set and considered putting some form of protection on the back of the spokes to help prevent this, maybe welding a length of bar ?.

If Matt reads this perhaps he might have a view.

The big bonus with Mach V wheels is their self-cleaning action with mud and debris very quickly clearing away from brakes and hubs.

Very easy to get a pressure washer in there for a quick brake clean, so if you put a cover on the inside the above no longer applies.

Just bad luck that a log or stones were trapped in the wheels, if you were greenlaning you would stop and move the log or go around the obstruction, in a competition time is winning therefore keep going at any cost :lol:

The big bonus with Mach V wheels is their self-cleaning action with mud and debris very quickly clearing away from brakes and hubs.

Very easy to get a pressure washer in there for a quick brake clean, so if you put a cover on the inside the above no longer applies.

Just bad luck that a log or stones were trapped in the wheels, if you were greenlaning you would stop and move the log or go around the obstruction, in a competition time is winning therefore keep going at any cost :lol:

Yes I know what you mean, I was thinking more like ree bar welded between the spokes to makes the gap narrower, not block it off altogether.

Yes I know what you mean, I was thinking more like ree bar welded between the spokes to makes the gap narrower, not block it off altogether.

But the whole point of the Mach V's is the bling factor :lol: No blooming bling with re-bar welded-on but if you just use them for competition then why not?