New trolley jack

ibexman

Don't know about makes, but I would suggest getting one from a real shop if possible rather than t'internet - somewhere it is easy to take it back to. In the past i have had cheap ones that were fine and expensive ones that were not and you can't tell until you try them under load. My current one was cheap and is strong and secure and doesn't creep or leak, but if I had bought it locally I would have taken it back due to it's all-or-nothing style of lowering...

I've just bought one of these - works well enough, the release is a bit less progressive than I'd like, but manageable.

Solid construction, and delivered to your door.

And a hell of a lot cheaper than what is available around here!

G.

http://www.paddockspares.com/pp/TOOLS/Garage_Equipment/3_Ton_Garage_Jack_(15_percent_off_usual_price).html

I'd go with Halfords. Good value & trustworthy high street piece of mind.

I bought a Michelin branded alloy jack a while ago. Bought because of the brand but it was blatently just a branding exercise to shift cheaply made low quality products.

Took it home to show the wife by jacking up the sofa. Up it goes nicely.

Opened the release valve but nothing... it just stayed there.

Touched the lifting lever & the whole thing came crashing down.

Not nice... Get a Halfords or sealey (possible clarke)

For the non-professional the brand does not make a lot of difference, it seems that most of the cheaper ones are the same with different stickers on. The 4x4 one I have releases very quickly so is similar to the above ones mentioned and cost about 40 pounds.

I have a sealy 2.25t professional quality Jack that I have had for about 8 years. Bought from my local motor factor, and came with a pair od decent axle stands (was on offer).

Much like this one, and a similar sort of price (slightly less I think):

3010CX.jpg

It is quite big, and it's quite heavy, but it is far nicer to use that any of the cheaper ones I have used with a similar (generally 2t) rating. It has a nice big plate on the lifting arm, so a diff fits in it nicely, and it has no problem lifting one end of the truck up. If you are happy to spend the money, then I would go down this route.

hth

Mark

My most recent one came from Screwfix. A 3 tonne jobby that is certainly substantial enough. As mentioned above though, gentle lowering (when under a LR) is near impossible.

My previous cheap one I bought from Paddocks 18 years ago was much better for lowering, alas the wheels gave up on it.

I'd have a look at what your local tool shop has on offer from Sealey etc., sometimes you will get some decent axle stands or something else thrown in which can be a good deal.

As has been said, most of the cheap ones are the same thing with different stickers but it's hard to tell until you get it if it's going to be OK or try to kill you every time you use it.

I have a sealy 2.25t professional quality Jack that I have had for about 8 years. Bought from my local motor factor, and came with a pair od decent axle stands (was on offer).

Much like this one, and a similar sort of price (slightly less I think):

3010CX.jpg

It is quite big, and it's quite heavy, but it is far nicer to use that any of the cheaper ones I have used with a similar (generally 2t) rating. It has a nice big plate on the lifting arm, so a diff fits in it nicely, and it has no problem lifting one end of the truck up. If you are happy to spend the money, then I would go down this route.

hth

Mark

That's very similar to the one I have. It was a Black Hawk, or something like that? I got it 27 years ago and still going strong.

• 2 weeks later...

Halfords have their 4x4 jack on half price offer for £39.99 at the moment, and the advanced stuff comes with a lifetime guarantee.

With the trade card it was £37.99!

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_254057_langId_-1_categoryId_165727

Not a recommendation as such, but I've just bought one as I've been waiting for them to come on half price for ages now.

Halfords have their 4x4 jack on half price offer for £39.99 at the moment, and the advanced stuff comes with a lifetime guarantee.

With the trade card it was £37.99!

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_254057_langId_-1_categoryId_165727

Not a recommendation as such, but I've just bought one as I've been waiting for them to come on half price for ages now.

Also add something else to get over £50, and you get a £10 voucher to buy something else :D

I've got the Sealey 3 tonne in the picture above, cracking bit of kit for the price. I'd avoid Halfords like the plague from previous experience, if you intend to use it for any amount of time. They are fine while they work but when the seal on the pump fails it's impossible to get a new one. In comparison every component in the Sealey can be replaced, I know they are significantly more expensive than the Halfords one but potentially you should never need to replace it.