UJs

JST

just under 300miles on the last rear ( T box end of prop.)

these things dont seem to last long! granted its 300miles of hard going but still thats was only 3 events!

where the cheapest place to buy new ones? and how much are you all paying?

my fronts are the larger ones, price very 3.75 - 12.50 + VAT (and those where the same make!)

and rear prop the smaller ones. about £3.50 + VAT was the last i paid.

there are some dubious quality Uj's on the market, personally i'd only go for a known make, like hardy spicer...

even using in a harsh environment like events they should last longer than 300 miles... i'd give them a couple of stokes with the grease gun before and after each event, just to push the dirty grease out...

greased before and after each event

i go for the cheaper ones on the grounds they need changing often, the more expensive/better quality ones dont seem to last that long either.

although i have never had a set go at under 1k miles before, let alone 300miles!

to note the fronts with less suspension articulation, have only just had one changed in 10k.

greased before and after each event

i go for the cheaper ones on the grounds they need changing often, the more expensive/better quality ones dont seem to last that long either.

although i have never had a set go at under 1k miles before, let alone 300miles!

to note the fronts with less suspension articulation, have only just had one changed in 10k.

As a rule you get what you pay for. I used to buy the cheapest ones I could find, now, following SimonR's lead, I buy OE. For U/Js that means Hardy Spicer. Not sure I have had to change a HS one yet... Same story with wheel bearings. I used to get the cheap as chips chocolate ones and change them regularly. I now have Timken(?) ones fitted and have yet to have one fail for any reason other than water/mud ingress through the seal.

Chris

As a rule you get what you pay for.

Ditto,, done the same for a good few years, where ever possible, have gone for branded/oe parts,,

You soon forget how much you pay for something, and get no problems

Am in the parts game,, a customer may winge a bit with the initial cost, in this case say £ 20 odd, but when you sell them a cheaper pattern parts, and it breaks, they soon forget they bought the cheap one at say £10 !! and have to do the job again!!

James are you using a wide yoke prop on the rear ? If not try get hold of one , Got em on mine and cut out the flange aeras where the prop yokes swing in to the flange , gives you about an extra 12-15 degrees drop angle , and no uj bind up .

Jase

Changed mine for the last MOT and fitted cheap, absolute b****** to fit. never had a problem with UJ's before. All the rollers kept falling out when putting in the opposite side, and very tight I had to use a press. :(

James,

Just buy some genuine ones. Even the ones without a grease nipple are largely 'fit & forget'. Nobody can accuse me of not abusing them or not using them at extreme offset angles - but still they go on.

You can see the quality of the rubber seals and rollers are in a whole different league to the 'cheap as chips' (sorry Nick) ones!

Si

James,

Just buy some genuine ones. Even the ones without a grease nipple are largely 'fit & forget'. Nobody can accuse me of not abusing them or not using them at extreme offset angles - but still they go on.

You can see the quality of the rubber seals and rollers are in a whole different league to the 'cheap as chips' (sorry Nick) ones!

Si

My thoughts exactly for a few extra quid go gen part.

As I have said before I have a 4" lift and in 8yrs of haveing the truck only replaced two or three UJ's

and that was due to a gearbox change I had to fit a new prop

I've had/ruined genuine ones just as quick as pattern parts

the yokes touching on articulation ruins them very quickly.

I had the front prop made and allowed for plenty of movement

the rear still wears them fairly quickly but not 300miles.....

Bish - cheers for the thought, i guess a 100" like yours rarely gets through UJs, but then it was a pretty level field where i saw you last!

Jase - yep std props, may look for the wider ones at this rate, got any photos of the bits you cut out? if not i will have a look at the next CSW event. - you going in Jul? smae site as my event. 2 dayer.

OEM/Cheapo make no difference in life span from my experience. having said that cheapo ones on the td5 have done 40k miles and are OK so they cant be that bad, more of a prop binding issue i think.

I have one question/observation with regards to greasing a u/j: We have one nipple to grease 4 bearings. In reality, this means that you usualy grease only one or maybe two bearing, as the grease find the way of the least resistance. I have been using g-clamps to try and close te paths of grease into one set of bearings, but the whole thing seems a bad design to me. Ideas anyone?

Daan

I have one question/observation with regards to greasing a u/j: We have one nipple to grease 4 bearings. In reality, this means that you usualy grease only one or maybe two bearing, as the grease find the way of the least resistance. I have been using g-clamps to try and close te paths of grease into one set of bearings, but the whole thing seems a bad design to me. Ideas anyone?

Daan

I agree, a good proportion of the time one or more bearing caps don't get the grease inside them 'changed' when you pump them up. A particular problem as they get older, the grease can harden in those that don't get fresh grease and so compounds the problem. It is usually best to grease the props when they are warm after a long run. You can use a hot air stripper on those caps that don't let the grease through and this sometimes helps.

The best solution would be idividual grease points at each cap, but I can't imagine there are any off the shelf Landrover sized joints with individual greasing points. You would need blanking caps so that the nipples could be replaced during use, or the nipples would get knocked off offroad.

Regards,

Diff

i concure and cetainly the older UJ i have fitted i have only ever got a max of 3 caps to show the grease coming through.

however the newer ones recently fitted (same make - Bearmach) had grooves in the end of each leg and grease came out all 4 caps. not sure how it will owrk once they have aged a bit though, time will tell.

I found it to be a problem on any uj, genuine or chocolate ones. It is not so bad if you do them every week, but who does that? if you leave them for 3 months or so, You will have this problem, I found.

Daan