Defender under attack from Spiders

Part1cle

Worst car I drove for spiders was a a Rickman Ranger which I took to MOT for a friend.

Got to the MOT station and the receptionist backed away from me, I had a huge spider that was crawling across my head that I hadn't noticed, gave me a serious case of the creeps, the friend got to drive the car back after it failed the MOT badly and I refused to go near it again.

For any one that is wondering the Rickman Ranger was a frankly horrible 80's kit car which looked vaguely like a discovery but based on Ford cortina running gear, and this was a badly made example that was worn out, there was so much play in the bushes going over speed ramps could make you sea sick.

Once did an invertebrate survey of what species lived in my Landrover and was shocked to find about a dozen or so types of insect resident in said vehicle. Spiders were common (at least 4 species, not counting the little black jobbies that are difficult to identify), as were Lacewings (larvae look like the moster out of the movie Tremors), Psychodids (Owl Midges), Carabid and Staphylinid beetles and numerous Two winged flies (Diptera). Guess what I do for a living then!!!!

Once did an invertebrate survey of what species lived in my Landrover and was shocked to find about a dozen or so types of insect resident in said vehicle. Spiders were common (at least 4 species, not counting the little black jobbies that are difficult to identify), as were Lacewings (larvae look like the moster out of the movie Tremors), Psychodids (Owl Midges), Carabid and Staphylinid beetles and numerous Two winged flies (Diptera). Guess what I do for a living then!!!!

"Nuclear Physicist" :unsure::unsure::blink::blink:

Haha, I've actually had numerous spiders in my landies as well. Although I have discovered what they really like and what they don't like so much. In defenders there will be a few around the headlining but on series 2' and 3's there's like BILLION in the headlining! They absolutely love the isolating used on these. BUT on my series 1 with no roof or dash-plastic, not even a front windshield, there's no spiders to be found :D So strip to bare metal and you'll have less spiders :P

I think we have the same spiders. In my prototype (soft top), I can keep it completely open, and not a single creature will go near it, however, my 110 is covered in the little critters....and I have found that to be true whether they are in the barn or the driveway.

How's this: (hope Si doesn't mind!)

med_gallery_16965_1052_21598.jpg

:D

A get you home winch wire :o :o :o :o

Surely no winch would be necessary with the mighty power of the X-Spinner on board :lol:

This would also be a deadly weapon in challenge events, you could deploy it to weave your opponents to the nearest tree.

Some say this would be cheating...

...but all I know is that it's the only way some of us will ever win anything :P

I was going on something i read which said that the tensile strength of spider web is stronger than the equivalent thickness in steel, and i think even titanium!

so going on that, and if Si made it, surely an X-Eng Spider web winch cable would be feasable?! :lol:

But getting back to the original post (we seem to have digressed slightly!) most Landys have spiders, mine has three, i only usually bother them if they start tickling my head when i drive!

if they really are a problem, you'll just have to clean it more!

now i wonder... X-Feather duster.....

Strength for strength, spiders web (a type of silk) is many times stronger than steel of the equivalent diameter and incredibaly lite weight, now what we need is for some enterprising genetic manipulator to breed spiders which produce winch ropes, mind you to get a 12mm cross section spiders web would need one f$%k off big spider. Gonna need something bigger than a jam jar to catch the bugger in though......