Too many parts?

Shant

Has anyone else experienced this?......I have a garage full of parts. I am sure I will never need a fraction of them, yet I hold on to every single bit like a zealot. Nothing can part me from them. Indeed, last year, I needed more space, so, I rented a storage unit for new acquisitions, such as seats, bulkheads, body panels, etc.. I have even rented a barn (it's for the landies, but now also contains a wrapped galvanised chassis, two old 2.5 NA engines, an old 3.5L engine, gearboxes, etc).

I see things that I think I will need at some point for one of the landies, get them, store them, never get round to starting the new project, but am convinced that I will need the parts one day.....and thus, I can't bear the idea of selling them on, or giving them away. Anyone else hoarde parts too? Or am I just sick?

I guess i'm similar.

I wont keep stuff thats plain junk, it will go on ebay or whatever, but i've tonnes of parts for the Audi that i'm hoarding just in case. I buaght a replacement engine for the old car, so all the useful anciliaries, and other engine parts like injectors, manifolds pipes etc have been stored away just in case they come in useful. Suspension and braking components seem to be gathering up too as well as some body panels.

Not really built up much in the way of landy spares, because anything i've baught or collected so far i've needed for the rebuild. I'm sure that will change given time though.

I've not quite got to the extremes of requiring additional storage yet thankfully, although i have been considering an extra shed for the garden to store some of the longer term bits away and get them out of the garage, so i have some room to move.

After many years of collecting junk I have sold or binned most of it, mainly because I kept buying stuff because I coundn't find it. Quite often I would find the part only to discover that the diff sitting on it had broken it anyway.

The painful bit was parting with things like spare steering boxes, starters and alternators.

Next up are pieces of timber, paint tins, boxes of wall tiles, countless bicycles, that old stick welder, loads of broken power tools (no, I am never going to fix them), patio heater (why did I but that?) and loads more.

I think it is fair to say that this thread is responsible for a dream I had last night. :lol:

For some reason the truck had a 'make over' when I came back to it. Basically ended up with bright blue side panels and then... just about every possible spare part/fluid/tool you might ever possibly need was strapped into it and all over the outside! Even tyres without wheels, wheels without tyres, Complete set of spare nuts and bolts, a spare wing or two for the front, spare axle tube, broken half shafts (who knows why they might be useful?). Lets just say the back was right down on the bump stops and the front wasn't far behind!

:rofl:

whatever you have is bound to need replacing about 30 seconds after you get rid of it.

Exactly!

I went auto last year. Still can't bring myself to part with the manual box.

Only LR stuff that gets the heave ho is that which fits a model I no longer own. Recently let go of some brand new series spares, it's been a few years since I had one of them.

@ Mo Murphy - love it :hysterical:

Would that be hoarders anon?

>Stands up<

My name is Mo Murphy and I too .......... hoard Land Rover parts.

>Sits down with a sigh<

God I feel better for that. :D

Mo

I too am a bit of a hoarder , have got a pile of series spares and am running a defender so should get rid but keep thinking I might get a series again so may need the parts :closedeyes:

Gary

I have now realised that I am actually nothing as far as hoarding goes. I am in the South of France; met a landy fanatic here. He moved to a new house in Provence for his illness. He needed the space for his two landys.....ok, not so bad. But then, he took me out to the barn. Now, this is no ordinary, small barn. This is the sort of barn you could store four combine harvesters in. Inside, he had an array of purpose built shelving units. Some large enough, strong enough, to house engines, gearboxes, etc.. Others, for smaller components. He has a forklift for moving all the pallets around, and the whole lot is just land rover parts. He doesn't sell anything. However, he has always felt he would have a need for the parts as he has bought and sold land rovers for years for fun. He has just always built up far more stock than he has ever needed. His wife says he doesn't use anything from there; just arranges it, cleans, and when he needs anything, buys more parts and says, if there is a double, he'll use it in the future.

He won't sell.....because he is sure he will find a use for everything at some point.

However, what is worrying is that he was inspired by someone in Gloucester. Someone who has the same setup as this gentleman....so, come on, if you're here.....show yourself!

Confession time, not only do I hoard good stuff, I have problems disposing of knackered stuff. My wife worked out (when we moved house last year) that I currently own somewhere in the region of 39 fishing rods. A large proportion of which are damaged. I've got spares for various cars that I haven't owned in 25 years. I guess it's a man thing cos you can bet your wedding tackle (to be removed without the use of an anaesthetic) that the day after you bin the doobry that fitted the after sprocket belonging to the whatchamacallit - YOU ARE GOING TO NEED IT. Same as little bits of alloyplate (you know the bits I mean - about 3 inches square) bin 'em and the next day you find a use for them.

My missus simply accepts that if it looks useful I'll find somewhere to keep it. She once hired a skip (yes I am that bad at chucking stuff) and spent 2 days filling it, took me less than a night (she worked nightshift) to recover the couldbe stuff out of it.

Got it bad folks, really bad

........ bin 'em and the next day you find a use for them.

Absolutely........ chucked out the sleigh last year September. It was in perfectly good condition. Hadn't been used in years due to the rubbish snowfall in London, and I had been hassled by my wife to clear the garage out.....I chucked that rather than landy parts......anyway, what happened come December? Snowed in. I had to drive 60 miles to buy another (everyone was sold out) and paid three times the price for it. Got home, the next day everything melted.

At least that 60 mile drive was useful for trying out the winch for the first time........and several times too! Never seen so many people glad to see a land rover.

Um

Does having 7 1948-1950 S1 80" windscreens "In Stock" when I now own a 90 qualify me to the looney club ?

Nige

But why did you ever buy that many? Or was the glass the only thing that hasn't rusted away from some old series vehicles... :P