front spring retainers?

why are there retainers on the bottom of the rear springs but not on the front springs, AND, why do they sell retaining brackets for front springs?

it's all very mysterious as I am going about fitting +4" shocks and spring relocating cones in an effort to gain more articulation and am a little

miffed as to why land rover thought that the front springs would not need fixing to anything but the rear ones do.

any ideas?

why land rover thought that the front springs would not need fixing to anything but the rear ones do.

The front springs can't fall off if they get over extended 'cos the shock absorbers go up the middle. Without the clip holding them to the axle the back ones have nothing to hold them in place once the spring is fully extended.

Nick

why are there retainers on the bottom of the rear springs but not on the front springs, AND, why do they sell retaining brackets for front springs?

it's all very mysterious as I am going about fitting +4" shocks and spring relocating cones in an effort to gain more articulation and am a little

miffed as to why land rover thought that the front springs would not need fixing to anything but the rear ones do.

any ideas?

front springs cannot fall out as damper is inside the spring, so how do you get the spring off ?

rear springs if over extended can fall out, so bottom end is anchored to axle/spring seat plate.

Ah I see, we're wrong, parts book right. Ok but why bother asking if you know already ?

Mo

TBH I thought front spring retainers were after market only so would not be in the parts book. If they were/are standard fitment I'd be very interested in the p/n as a gen alternative has to be considered.

front springs cannot fall out as damper is inside the spring, so how do you get the spring off ?

Err, you take the damper off?

The front end on a standard car doesn't articulate as much as the back either and with standard shocks and springs I don't think it was anticipated it would ever be a problem. At the back end on a standard car the spring should be able to just lift off it's seat, with over length shocks the spring can dislocated but "should" be guided in by the blade on the outside of the spring seat, provided the spring hasn't fallen out of it's lower seat.

The parts catalogue may show a part that was "optional" but not fitted to a standard car. I'm not familiar with them being fitted to RRC as standard.

Ah I see, we're wrong, parts book right. Ok but why bother asking if you know already ?

Mo

the reason I am asking is because of this obvious dichotomy that exists between the parts book and what other people have fitted to their vehicles

but thanks for your input Mo.

• 1 month later...

depends on how you fit longer shocks i.e weather you do it right and suitably alter the turret to match the shock.

But I have run +5 shocks without the need for spring retainers on the front of my 90 whilst using it for winch challenge.

if you use shorter/stronger springs or set the shocks up (in my opinion wrong) so that thay have masses of droop but bottom out on compression(needing longer bump stops) then spring retainers and possibly spring relocators on the front may be needed.

on my whinch challenge vehicle at full articulation only my drivers side front spring dislocates by about 10 mm, the passenger side one goes loose enough that I can just about move it but does not dislocate.

my springs are ome and give approximately 2"lift.