Windscreen scratches

landrover598

A couple of decades of the wipers dragging grit across the screen will do that. You could go to Halfrauds and buy a product that claims to cure the problem, super heavy duty glass polish or something like that. If you want to waste a fiver it is as good as any other way.

Years ago I worked for a computer company and we would remove scratches from crt (yea I know) screens with Duraglit, not sure I would tackle a full windscreen with it though however it did work on the screens.

K

Found this:

http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=8109&frostProductName=Windscreen Scratch Repair Kit&catID=20&frostCat=Glass&frostSubCat=&subCatID=

Anyone used it? My BMW windscreen is a smeary mess in the rain - its spotless and the wiper blades are new, so i'm convinced its because of the micro scratches on the screen, so may have to give this a go....

I've also heard of brasso being used.

But, an old friend of mine works for auto windscreens and told me (ages ago) that screens had a coating on them to reflect the glare or something, apparently you can tell if you hold a sheet of white A4 paper on the inside, then look at it from the outside, if it looks bluey/greeny then it's coated.

so if you polish a screen with something abrasive, aren't you just going to polish of any coating? leaving funny looking 'white' spots? :unsure:

My Disco failed it's MOT on wiper scratches once. I used an industrial paint/GRP polisher (big, low RPM grinder with mop head) and some 3M finesse it compound. It worked miricles, the small scratches more or less disappeared and the deep gouges along the edge where a wiper had broken were 'softened' to a slight misty line.

I know this is industrial kit, but maybe some of the compounds mentioned above could be applied with a Halfords type paint work buffer to good effect?

In a hurry to MoT the hybrid, I used metallic type Tcut with a lambswool pad on a random orbit sander, to remove a fine patina of very tough overspray left on the glass from spraying grp moulds in the workshop.

The glass seemed very clear and shiny afterwards...

If you get a protective layer applied the adhesive may fill the scratches enough to make them go away. Something like http://www.clearplex.com/. I'll be putting it on mine mostly to stop rock impacts from spidering but also to keep sandblast damage down since I do plan on traveling in some hostile environments (silica flats, Dempster Highway etc).