ground pressure

JST

What about some sort of inflatable thing on the end of each crutch? Wouldn't weigh much, increases the surface area and would provide some flotation!

Perhaps a wheel from a sack barrow:

3-00-4-Wheel-For-Hand-Trolley-Sack-Truck.jpg

with the side wall flat on the ground to form a foot? It would probably benefit from some sort of springy coupling at the end so the foot can stay flat on the ground as you swing over the top.

Let me know if you would like a hand adapting your crutches :)

Si

It will not just be ground pressure to think about, but grip.

How about a marine ply board (or even carbon/epoxy/sandwich), offset away from the leg (think two cruches could be handed so it does not clash with your legs). The bottom of the ply board could be lined with offcuts from old mountain bike mud tyres to give grip in the slippy bits (or other grippy solutions not including long lengths of nails which could cause further damage to self).

Mount some form of cup arrangement on the top of the board to put the end of the crutch in to. This will locate the bottom of the crutch.

Lateral stability can come from some stays from the edges of the board to higher up the crutch, where a clamp can hold it to the clutch (maybe a mountain bike fitment for example).

You will need to think about weight so it is not too much of a chore carrying them around and not messing up the clutches too much.

HTH

Martin.

Just got back from recce'ing Slindon with Andy and it is very, very wet :o :o

I think I'll spend the day following James around as it should be funny - not wanting to mock the afflicted or anything :P

We have some great new sections in the bag, lots of very technical winching not just the usual Slindon mudfest (well there is some of it of course as it would be rude not too) :P

Get your entries in folks...

... the season is going to end in style :D

I think I'll spend the day following James around as it should be funny -

i dare say it normally is so Slindon shouldn't be any different.

Noting how wet it is there, tyres on their side may be the way fwd then? would also need to think about mounting them on the truck somewhere - all kit stowed and that for the SS start and finish!!

i dare say it normally is so Slindon shouldn't be any different.

Noting how wet it is there, tyres on their side may be the way fwd then? would also need to think about mounting them on the truck somewhere - all kit stowed and that for the SS start and finish!!

Make it easy for yourself. Cut a mountain bike tyre and wrap it around the bottom of the crutch, held in place with zip ties. That way when you get out the truck you (probably) won't go a.o.t.! Go for the skinny muds approach of getting to the bottom of the mud!

Cheers and keep upright

Martin

Tank Chair is a custom off-road wheelchair that can go anywhere outdoors. Conquers Streams, Mud, Snow, Sand, and Gravel, allowing you to get back to nature, and can also climb up and down stairs. Even the urban street and stairs, with a incline accent of up to 45 degrees.

45 degrees in a track machine is scary enough and you've got an arm to put out infront of you. 45 in that chair that takes balls

Mate i broke my ankle 4 days before round 3 HW (still not great now) and i found the best way was one stick / crutch to get around and then slide on your arse down all the drops.. Going up is easy but coming down you have to twist your ankle to cope for the slope.

if you have done the same definitely recommend lots of beer the night before oh and as we do take the driving in turns :)

:rolleyes: