Stainless steel Defender door hinges

hinges, or just the screws? don't remember ever seeing whole hinges in stainless.

I have seen stainless hinges (can't remember where though!!) and was quite keen to buy some - until I saw the price!! I decided it would be cheaper to get the existing hinges plated with 24 carat gold! :D:D:D

Steve

Guest diesel_jim
No prices as usual. So I haven't a clue how much to send a cheque for........

mike

Being scrapiron, i'd just leave the cheque blank, they'll fill it in themselves!

Or knock the hinge pins out, wire brush them and get the hinges galvanised. Got a set of 4 hinges done for a fiver. Drill surplus galv out of hinge pin hole and fit new pins. With stainless bolts, job done, no more rust.

Guest diesel_jim
Or knock the hinge pins out, wire brush them and get the hinges galvanised. Got a set of 4 hinges done for a fiver. Drill surplus galv out of hinge pin hole and fit new pins. With stainless bolts, job done, no more rust.

now that is a damn good idea!

We used to sell the hinges, but gave up after continuing supply problems. Scorpion source their hinges from the same supplier, but from the number of calls we still get from the trade and the public, they too can't get hold of them. Had a call from someone last week who had just been told by Scorpion they've been waiting for some stock since March...

The hinges are made in the UK by the same guy and are hand-machined from a block of 316 stainless rather than cast. This explains the - wait for it - £300 asking price for four hinges!! :o You'd be surprised how many sets we sold, but something like 90% went to overseas customers.

The galv idea sound good but is actually flawed in practice because you'll have to remove the layer of glav from the hinge where the two halves of the hinge rubs together. This metal-to-metal contact is what causes the wear in the hinges and is what would also compromise the galvanising process.

FWIW. Get yourself the later Td5 type hinges. These seem to resist rust better and have a nylon bush in the hinge to prevent the metal-to-metal contact. Try to get genuine LR hinges rather than aftermarket ones. The pattern hinges(S**tpart) we've been supplied in the past often have more slop in them than the knackered hinges we're looking to replace!

Kev

The galv idea sound good but is actually flawed in practice because you'll have to remove the layer of glav from the hinge where the two halves of the hinge rubs together. This metal-to-metal contact is what causes the wear in the hinges and is what would also compromise the galvanising process.

Kev

True, but a light kiss with a file is all it needs. Had my galved hinges for 5 years now and they haven't worn through this"contact patch" yet. My original hinges were scrap by the time they were 5 years old, worn to buggery, sagging and rusting. The rust tends to accelerate the wear on the contact patch. 5 years on the galv ones are good as new. I got brand new ones galved by the way.

I would have thought that SS bolts would cause the bulkhead to rust

a lot quicker than normal.

:unsure:

Difference in reactivity between stainless and normal steel wont make much difference, stainless and ally is another issue though...

• 3 years later...

http://www.smilingho....uk/hinges.html

stainless steel with either mirrored or plain finish .

look to cost quite a bit, but your landy would look pretty sweet with them

hope you enjoy...I made an account just to give u this link, lol

also cause i have a 90 and join pretty much all the forums for them

cheers

parky

I like the unfinished ones.

dry.gif I must admit I bought mine from a guy in the uk and they have been anodeised.. Price? Need I shout it out loud? Find a seat and hold your breath!!! £600 pluss VAT all 8 have been fitted and no weeping hinges after that. They are aluminium!!!dry.gif

Someone told me I really love my truck!!!!

Pictures follow shortly.....