Another ringer?!? Has ebay no shame?

I never get bored of reading the 'it's a ringer threads, and it may help people avoid buying somthing they don't want!

So.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1990-LAND-ROVER-defender-double-cab-130-bonatti-grey-/130523962977

I see td5 rear x-member for a start, air intake on the wrong side and late model windscreen hinges.

To be fair to the guy, he really doesn't sound like he has a clue about what he's got.

it's got folding screen hinges as for pre 300Tdi vehicles, most Electric Co. 127's were V8's, most likely been updated by a previous owner, 300Tdi outer wing skin on RHF,

I wouldn't want a heavy trailer on that tow hitch, it's doesn't have any braces back to the chassis.

looks a decent honest vehicle to me, panels can be changed maybe the RHF wing was badly damaged, easier to fit a new wing, some early vehicles had the recess the towing elects socket is fitted to, & he doesn't say the cross member has been changed.

Looks pretty genuine to me, the wing has most likely been changed. My 1987 90 had the electric tow socket recessed into the crossmember as do many of the early military 90 and 110s. The new owner may have issues with the dvla regarding the engine change if the v5 has not been updated though.

I never get bored of reading the 'it's a ringer threads, and it may help people avoid buying somthing they don't want!

So.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1990-LAND-ROVER-defender-double-cab-130-bonatti-grey-/130523962977

I see td5 rear x-member for a start, air intake on the wrong side and late model windscreen hinges.

To be fair to the guy, he really doesn't sound like he has a clue about what he's got.

I must be missing something but 300 tdi's air in take is on the drivers side as it is with this truck

I thought the intake was on the drivers side for a 300tdi I could be wrong though...it has been known :huh:

It is I have 2 300 tdi defenders a 90 and 110 and both of them have the intake on the drivers side along with every other 300 tdi. I think he is getting confused as it is The 200 tdi that has it on the passenger side

Can't see any reason to call it a ringer, it's a 1990 vehicle with a 300TDi but so what?

O/S wing might have been a plain one and the owner fitted a snorkle to make it look less like a conversion (on a genuine skin the grill is recessed but on a conversion most people just cut the hole and leave the grill proud of the surface).

What about the windscreen hinges, they look correct to me? One piece brackets were fitted to later vehicles (not soft-tops of course) but prior to this all vehicles had proper hinges regardless of the type of roof fitted.

What about the crossmember? Socket is recessed but so it is on my totally original 1986 chassis. As far as I can tell the crossmember has the tabs welded to it but I thought that with the introduction of the TD5 they did away with that and there was a bracket that went across the full width? If correct (and it is a pretty poor photo) that would date this as pre-TD5.

Still wearing the earlier wing repeater lamps, TD5 were more oval (as fitted to Freelander, Rover 75 etc).

Totally agree about the drop-plate, no-way would I use that without bracing.

It is I have 2 300 tdi defenders a 90 and 110 and both of them have the intake on the drivers side along with every other 300 tdi. I think he is getting confused as it is The 200 tdi that has it on the passenger side

that was kinda my point, a 1990 motor would have a TD or v8 and therefore the intake on the passenger side.

I guess i didn't look closely enough at the hinges, my own fault for using my phone as a computer!

Didn't know that early tow electrics we're ever recessed, so i'll be witdrawing that!

Of course it's entirely possible that new wings, engine etc could have been fitted. In fact, i'd say entirely likely!

Maybe it is straight-up, and i'm a suspicious git. Be interesting to see the interior....

Does the back axle look to far forward on the side view, or is that my wonky eyes?

Of course it's entirely possible that new wings, engine etc could have been fitted. In fact, i'd say entirely likely!

Reading the guys advert, he says it was a factory v8 but it has been changed to TDI.

Nowt wrong with that truck, looks very nice.

If it was a grand cheaper, i'd be tempted to bid myself, would make a great overlander project.

that was kinda my point, a 1990 motor would have a TD or v8 and therefore the intake on the passenger side.

I

Does the back axle look to far forward on the side view, or is that my wonky eyes?

rear axle looks fine to me, he has said a lift kit is fitted, so with the 130 double rear springs, & being a empty rear body, it sits quite high.

V8's didn't have front wing air intakes only the turbo diesel engined vehicles have them [TD,200 & 300Tdi,Td5,Tdci]

For once I may be able to help as I have almost the same vehicle.

Its a former Southern Electric Board vehicle and therefore it was a V8 and the wing air intake is correctly placed on the drivers side.

Just to be pedantic its actually a 127 not a 130.

Mine also rides very high at the back as the rear was upgraded (double stiffer springs etc as Ralph says to carry 5 people and a ton of equipment up the side of a hill (albeit a small hill... it is the south after all!)

Looks genuine to me, well hopefully for the buyer it is!

As a foot note to what Ralph wrote.... The tow bar set up is exactly the same as mine except for mine has the braces back to the chasis, guess someone decided bizarrely to remove them on that one?

It may be a good truck but it's hard work reading add's with no punctuation.
:blink:

(Grabs a his dog-eared copy of "Eats Shoots and Leaves", lights blue touch paper and retreats to a safe distance) :D

Always quite fancied 130 doublecab...must be even more of a barge than a 110 though, especially with that plough, er towbar on the back.

On a serious note, anybody know who makes the cubby box? Could be a home-brew, but looks like it might have room to plonk a CB inside. And with the size of that cushion, at least 1 of 2 elbows would be comfortable when driving it!

:blink:

(Grabs a his dog-eared copy of "Eats Shoots and Leaves", lights blue touch paper and retreats to a safe distance) :D

Always quite fancied 130 doublecab...must be even more of a barge than a 110 though, especially with that plough, er towbar on the back.

On a serious note, anybody know who makes the cubby box? Could be a home-brew, but looks like it might have room to plonk a CB inside. And with the size of that cushion, at least 1 of 2 elbows would be comfortable when driving it!

loks like a homemade cubbybox to me,

loks like a homemade cubbybox to me

Aye, thought so, still looks like a step up in terms of usefulness from the £50 eblag jobbies. Yet another job to do on my resto!

Speaking of which, the truck went for £5.5k in the end, which is still muchos £££, even if it is the 'desirable' spec 127. I wonder if I'll get an email saying it's been re-listed...

wheels too small IMO but apart from that it looks fine

this means you would probably think my series 3 is a ringer.

its got a 200Tdi in it with 3.54 diffs and an overdrive, the rear crossmember isnt origional, its got beacons and twin CB's

and its a wannabe scania

but its all legal. :)