TD5 - Possible To DIY Repair?

Gromit,

No need to remove the cam, just unbolt the sprocket and move forward.

Fridge,

That was the point of the post, no more difficult than any other engine, just thought I'd make the point.

I think fridge has a point, which is the reason the TD5 is viewed with such skepticism my many LR owners, because it has among other things (in this day and age, shock horror) an ECU. :rolleyes:

As such, posts like this are great.

I have completely overhauled one TD5 with resleeving (yes, I know you are not supposed to do it), polished crank etc etc. It's a bit of a strange engine. Brian (the owner of our workshop) and I had a private joke that lots of the engine was designed by the tea lady who would change a few things on the drawing boards when nobody was looking. Examples: head bolts that go through the cam carrier so that if you take off the cam carrier you have to remove the head and change the gasket and fit new head bolts. This is extra expense when fixing a seized camshaft. And a world's FIRST (AFAIK) the big and main bearings are not indexed - in other words there is nothing to stop them moving backwards or forwards or even rotating. I could go on....

Oh yes, and if the fan belt breaks it can force its way back into the sump (I kid you not) past the oil seal. The fan belt is then chewed up by the oil pump or cam chain and blocks the strainer which causes the camshaft to seize. (And necessitates the repair above).

Mind you, Silvio tells me that there have been cases in Italy of Freeloader TD4s having the same happen.

And as for all-time bodges you only have to look at the chain-driven oil pump (I ask you). We privately think the project engineers forgot to assign the task to an engineer, so the tea lady got the job. The original design had a rubber belt until they discovered that it didn't like oil so they replaced it with a bit of bicycle chain and signed off the design.

Yup, I've said it many times, it's mostly just nuts and bolts like any other vehicle. All of my electrical problems have been down to a flat battery.

Must admit I am no mechanic but started hanging on dad in the garage and now I manage all my suspensions by just reading and buying parts and repairing too.. IT all comes to bolts and nuts and torque.. Nothing special. ;)

At the end of the day, ECU-driven engines do physically have more to go wrong in that there are more parts involved. However, they are also more powerful, quieter, more refined and better for the environment though lower emissions and being generally more efficient.

Take a look at modern common-rail diesel car engines. The Ford DW-10 used in my mum's Peugeot is a 2 litre 4 cylinder engine and puts out 124hp and 240lb-ft. It achieves 40mpg+ even with all the economy-sapping Euro IV emissions nonsense attached. More power and more torque than my 200Tdi (though obviously at different levels of the rev range) from a smaller displacement engine giving better MPG and far better emissions levels. It's also practically silent (at least from inside the car :P) and idles smoothly at any temperature.

Electronics can be reliable, it just depends on the quality of the components used like anything else. How many people give a second thought before stepping onto a modern airliner with more electronics than you can shake a stick at. It comes down to the manufacturer and cost, if the components are specified correctly and built properly there's no reason that they won't give their expected life's service. If they are built on a slashed budget to the minimum of costs then you can't expect a great deal.

Personally, I'd love a Td5 engine in my 110 if I could afford it. I love my 200Tdi for it's solidarity and ruggedness, but the world of engine development has come a long way in the last 20 years :)

I'll take an ECU with a billion transistors in it over a carburettor or mechanical injection pump any day - 99% of problems are down to a loose connection or dodgy sensor, and usually made 10x worse/more expensive/convoluted by the blizzard of blind panic & random attempts at fixing it that this induces the average LR owner.

My favourite feature of the TD5 has to be the injector loom & it's sealing arrangement.

Who the hell thought of putting the injector connectors inside the rocker cover?!

Lube oil in the ECU is a better than MegaSquirt you know :D

" How many people give a second thought before stepping onto a modern airliner with more electronics than you can shake a stick at. It comes down to the manufacturer and cost, if the components are specified correctly and built properly there's no reason that they won't give their expected life's service. If they are built on a slashed budget to the minimum of costs then you can't expect a great deal."

Ummm, you think that aerospace manufacturers are not ruthless in slashing budgets and building to minimum cost? The customer usually just places penalties on poor reliability that forces a lot of very expensive testing and even then they occasionally have spectacularly poor service. That is why they have so much redundancy built in. I happen to know of aircraft that use pieces of common garden irrigation system in their cabin pressure systems for cost reasons yet have some of the best reliability numbers of their class.

"Who the hell thought of putting the injector connectors inside the rocker cover?!"

Electric connectors and sensors placed inside oil filled cavities are common on aircraft and a lot of ground vehicles. Its how you seal the point where the electric harness pierces the casing that counts. Its not rocket science or that expensive but the right connectors must be used.

The concept is fine but the execution is flawed in some areas of a TD5. It is, however, hardly the most complex beast out there and for all its oddities it seems to do well enough. Its hardly fatally flawed. I don't understand the fear of these engines.

Sorry for the partial highjack.

Looks like the HG has gone on our Defender. It's at a comp safari in Scotland at the moment (Support/tow vehicle) and I'm expecting my business partner is arranging recovery to the south coast at the end of todays racing.

In preparation for its repair and the next event in Scotland next weekend I'm trying to research the HG replacement.

Can anyone help with a link to an english language TD5 workshop manual and secondly any pointers for the upcoming job.

Many thanks

Steve (layed up at home with a septic tooth)