New engine and DVLA

davidoff

Having replaced the TD engine with a 200TDi I duly notified DVLA of the change in the V5 document. A letter received 3 weeks after the notification demands a receipt of purchase on headed paper from a garage confirming engine number, engine size and fuel type or an inspection report from AA/RAC or an inspection report provided for insurance purposes or written confirmation from the engine manufacturer showing engine number and size.

Is this common? I can probably do one of these things (although I did send a receipt for the engine and the engine number with the notification).

Have other members had this? How did they deal with the demands made?

Having replaced the TD engine with a 200TDi I duly notified DVLA of the change in the V5 document. A letter received 3 weeks after the notification demands a receipt of purchase on headed paper from a garage confirming engine number, engine size and fuel type or an inspection report from AA/RAC or an inspection report provided for insurance purposes or written confirmation from the engine manufacturer showing engine number and size.

Is this common? I can probably do one of these things (although I did send a receipt for the engine and the engine number with the notification).

Have other members had this? How did they deal with the demands made?

I did this same conversion. Sent in the V5 with just the new engine no. (it's the same fuel, same cc.)

Amended V5 returned, no questions asked, and quite quickly.

The first time i did the engine change, DVLA changed the detail straight away.

The second time they asked for the same proof. I spoke to them and said i had a reciept and could send some pictures. They were happy with that.

So i sent in the reciept and some photos, showing engine in and a close up of the number on the side of the engine.

They then changed my V5 and sent it back to me.

Same challenge on mine.

A few words saying engine number xxx is installed in car reg xxx on MOT station reciept worked fine.

MOT man was busy so I sat at his PC and typed it myself.

Steve

Its amazing what they will actually accept. I found that mentioning a garages name (inferring there had been an inspection) generally works. Mine had just had an MOT after the engine change, so i stated that since it had received its yearly inspection from garage x, the installation was deemed safe and roadworthy (i know they dont really check the engine itself at the MOT, but that will do to persuade the DVLA all is ok).

Failing that, my next step would be to send the V5 off corrected with the new engine number and no cover note at all. I find if you ask the DVLA any hint of a question then they cannot cope. Send the form with a simple 'change this number' to 'this number' and they can manage that!

.....Send the form with a simple 'change this number' to 'this number' and they can manage that!

I'm not convinced I would agree with that. V5 will most likely come back with your new engine number in the 'Max. Permissible Mass' box.

Steve

I'm with RichP - just keep at them, it's the luck of the draw whether you get a friendly helpful idiot or a jobsworth petty idiot opening the mail (I did once speak to someone helpful and intelligent at the DVLA but I think they've got snipers round the place to take them out these days). Engine swap is an emotive term for people who are only recognising patterns and on the lookout for criminals and dodgy chavs modding their motors, given that most LR stuff bolts in I'd say it's more like a "nearest available replacement of the same make" than a major modification.

Thanks for all the helpful comments guys. I sent off a letter with photos of the truck, engine bay, engine and engine number, together with a receipt from the garage that did the engine swap. And fingers crossed I hope for the best. However am not counting the chickens ...

when i did it it was so much hassle wish id never done it.

notified them straight away, they argued back, 3 months later i was still driving about with it registered as a 2.25p

i sent them the right info, they sent the v5 back without this info saying that they want it????

just kept sending it back until one day they amended it.

• 1 month later...