Cutting Aluminium Sheet

Whats the best way to cut large sheets of Ali ?

Want to cut it up to 650mm x 350mm to make some shelves. (only 3 or 4 mm)

Needs to be pretty but not perfect finish.

Am i to suspect a jigsaw is the best way ?

I have a cheap nibbler that attaches to a drill. I expected it to be rubbish - but it's fantastic! I've tried my best to break / wear it out but a decade on, it's still going strong!

Si

A wood router does a very good job on aluminium as does a circular saw if it is not too fast. I find jigsaws very noisy and rattley.

I have a nibbler, well a pair of them, too. The sort that punches a crescent shaped 'nibble' out of the sheet as it advances. The little crescents have two razor sharp points on them so clearing the bench of them is definately gloves on.

looks like i will either be using the Jigsaw or find a nibbler to attach to the drill. I've got most of the sheets delivered cut to exact size so i should only need to radius a few corners and the like. One piece i have to diagonally cut so it might be a guide and the jigsaw. I'll get my brothers as it has variable speed. I'll nip off the the farm shop and get a sealey nibbler which seem to be about £30.

Thanks for the help. I'll let you know how i get on. Should be next week before the sheet is delivered.

What about dremmel router attachment?

I think it migth work but i got a long cut to do so my dremel wouldn't do the job. I think it would overheat. 3mm is a lot to ask of a little tool.

However it might work on the chamfer / beveled edges. I'll give it a go on a test piece.

I still think you would be better getting them cut at a metal shop there are loads of small workshops around with a guillotine that will make a lot neater job than any nibbler, I would think if they were looking to CNC it for you I would say they were the wrong type of company that would just do you a quick favour.

Jason.

I've just been thinking about the design and can get away with 8 cuts of total lenght of about 500mm. The biggest is 350mm long. The rest are all ~50mm each.

The longest cut is in 3mm sheet. The other ~50mm ones are in 4mm sheet. I'm going to give it a go with the jigsaw. I have the correct blades and i'll use WD40 to assist the cutting. Fingers crossed.

If i had access to a table saw it would be a 10 second job so i'll check the neighbour as i think he has one.

This is gonna sound daft, but works. I found, by accident (don't ask!) that a thin sheet of polystyrene glued underneath ali acts a good lubricant when cutting it with a jigsaw! really stops the blade clogging