Green Laning Navigation Tools

gibbon

Over this last year I've found myself doing more and more green laning on lanes local to me in North Yorkshire.

So far I've found the lanes through GLASS / Trailwise and then transferred them onto OS maps for when out navigating in the car. I'd like to however would like to run them through a laptop with map software, but presumably I'd need a GPS receiver for this?

So therefore, before buying anything, I'm interested in how other people get on with navigating (particularly in forest complexes!) and what they use while out an about, just maps? or software as well?

Anyway, here's some pics from this weekend, the weather was excellent, views were amazing and the scenery spectacular! :)

Come to Yorkshire, its proper Bo I tell thee!

post-9107-0-03910700-1318761079_thumb.jpgpost-9107-0-43196600-1318761093_thumb.jpgpost-9107-0-11653900-1318761106_thumb.jpgpost-9107-0-69990200-1318761133_thumb.jpg

This one shows the rock steps on the rigg, taken back in July 2011

post-9107-0-11640100-1318761466_thumb.jpg

I'm running MemoryMap on a dell mini9 with an evermore IP67 reciever and a car charger which goes straight into the cigarette lighter to go from 12volts to 19volts.

Been using this for 2 years now and its been faultless. I have a mount that I can stick onto the windscreen of whatever vehicle I am in so I move it around depending on if I am driving or navigating. I also have a Peli case that I keep the laptop in so its perfectly safe to transport when not in use.

Picture below shows the setup working in Dad's 90 earlier this year.

post-13446-0-62704900-1318777161_thumb.jpg

HTH's

Ryck

What mount are you using Ryck?

It was one off ebay, Its not a branded one from memory(It's currently not with me) and cost about £20. There is a rachet mechanism in it which allows you to adjust the size to hold whatever laptop you put in it upto a certain size. Sorry to not be more helpful.

Cheers

Ryck

I use good old fashioned OS 1:50K maps suitably annnotated with highlighter pens following lots of homework on Trailwise and CC online maps. Also got a Memory Map Adventurer 2800 GPS unit so I can verify I'm in the right spot - invaluable on Salisbury Plain. It's small, compact and comes with a car charger. Windscreen mount bought seperately. Good piece of kit IMHO - quick to lock on to signal. Can be used on push bike / hand too :)

I use my iphone loaded with memory map, i have all the trails loaded onto the maps prior to setting off. I have a dash mount for the phone and a car charger. I'd like an ipad and might invest in one when my contract ends in November.

Thanks for the advice guys! So it looks like its either a handheld GPS or a receiver plugged into my laptop running map software to verify where my location.

The Memory Map Adventurer 2800 GPS looks a nice bit of kit, any one else used them?

Is there any software or program out there which can take the information on the trailwise maps and overlay it on OS? Or is it always going to be a case of sitting down and plotting out each lane? Are there no transferable gps co-ordinates?

Thanks for the advice guys!

In the end I went for the Memory Map Adventurer 2800, as got a very good deal on a new unit with the full UK maps included. The main selling point was that I could also use it on my mountain bike :D

Now gotta get out there and drive!

Thanks for the advice guys!

In the end I went for the Memory Map Adventurer 2800, as got a very good deal on a new unit with the full UK maps included. The main selling point was that I could also use it on my mountain bike :D

Now gotta get out there and drive!

It's a great piece of kit! Did you get the car windscreen mount too? I got full UK OS 1:50K too - bargain!

I use my Android (HTC Desire) phone, with an application called OruxMaps that can use offline map images. OruxMaps is free, and the whole of the UK in OS 1:50,000 flavour can be obatined from a well known file sharing website. I did have to run a simple batch process to convert the co-ordinate system being used in the offline files, but nothing too difficult. The best part is - it was free (well, except for the phone but I had that anyway).