Trailer number plates

v8bertha

Whats the law on trailer number plates? I always thought they had to be proper plates conforming to the usual standard, i.e letter spacing, size, colour etc etc rather than the scrawlled paper and marker pen jobs that you see so often these days!

Don't get me wrong, I'm no angel and have been guilty of this in the past :ph34r: but if anyone knows for sure what the rules state, post up!

Cheers

Dan :i-m_so_happy:

post-136-0-83295100-1320231142_thumb.jpg

Trouble is you used to be able to have any numberplate on the trailer so long as it related to a vehicle you owned. Now it has to m atch the tow vehicle. Not an issue if you only have one tow vehicle and 1 trailer but a PITA if you operate a fleet of different trailers and potential tow vehicles. I am guilty of leaving one plate on each of my trailers which may not be the one of the tow vehicle but it is easier than constantly changing them around.

Trouble is you used to be able to have any numberplate on the trailer so long as it related to a vehicle you owned. Now it has to m atch the tow vehicle. Not an issue if you only have one tow vehicle and 1 trailer but a PITA if you operate a fleet of different trailers and potential tow vehicles. I am guilty of leaving one plate on each of my trailers which may not be the one of the tow vehicle but it is easier than constantly changing them around.

When did that change? I certainly thought that was still the case.

Interestingly you are allowed to remove the number plate from you car to put on the trailer instead....

from http://www.britannia-driving-school.co.uk/highwaycode/pdf/uksi_20010561_en.pdf

Fixing of rear registration plates: vehicles registered on or after the relevant date

5.—(1) This regulation applies to vehicles, other than works trucks, road rollers and

agricultural machines, first registered on or after the relevant date.

(2) A registration plate must be fixed on the rear of—

(a) the vehicle, or

(b) where the vehicle is towing a trailer, the trailer, or

© where the vehicle is towing more than one trailer, the rearmost trailer.

This is the closest thing I could find about displaying the wrong registration on a trailer...

it's from the same document listed above..

Fixing of registration plates: works trucks, road rollers and agricultural machines

8.—(1) This regulation applies to works trucks, road rollers and agricultural machines.

(2) A registration plate must be fixed on the vehicle in a vertical position or, where that is

not possible, in a position as close to the vertical as is reasonably practicable—

(a) on both sides of the vehicles, so that the characters of the mark are easily

distinguishable from both sides of the vehicle, or

(b) on the rear of the vehicle, so that the characters of the mark are easily distinguishable

from behind the vehicle, or

© where the vehicle is towing a trailer or trailers and the plate is not fixed on the sides

of the vehicle, on the trailer or the rearmost trailer (as the case may be) so that the

characters of the mark are easily distinguishable from behind the trailer.

(3) Where the towing vehicle is an agricultural machine, a plate fixed on the trailer may,

instead of displaying the registration mark of the towing vehicle, display the mark of any other

agricultural machine kept by the keeper of the towing vehicle.

Hope dan doesnt mind me asking but saves starting another thread, if the tow vehicle has the old black and white pressed plates can you use the same type of plate on the trailer?

only if the towing vehicle is pre 1 January 1973 IIRC, before the reflective reg plates came into use.

anything reg'd after 1 Jan 1973 MUST carry the reflective plates [black on yellow for the rear end]

When I went to buy something from the motor factors I was told they couldn't sell me a plate for the trailer without the car documents but they could sell me a blank plate and the self adhesive letters, so I bought those and stuck them on myself

that is correct. the dvla require number plate suppliers to keep the details of all plates made for 3 years. we always ask for driving licence of the person collecting the plates (or passport/bank card/credit card) and the v5c for the vehicle so we can keep a record of the serial numbers for traceability. avoid halfords for plates, they are charging anything from £18 upwards at the moment (depending on style, plain, border, gb logo all add extra) whereas we charge £12 regardless of style or shape. (cheaper for trade or people the staff know :) )

That doesnt mean to say you cant still buy plates without producing documents, i bought one online not long ago for a trailer, the need to produce documents is nonsense really as the criminals will always find a way round it

That doesnt mean to say you cant still buy plates without producing documents, i bought one online not long ago for a trailer, the need to produce documents is nonsense really as the criminals will always find a way round it

true, there are ways around it, but the supplier (if caught) can get a fine of upto £3k per offence, and if you're caught then a picky jobsworth could fine you for having non approved plates. proper ones should have the BS mark and the suppliers name and postcode on the bottom. there are rumblings in the trade that plates will be checked at mot time for the bs marks etc.....and that the "show plates" as they are comonly known, will be a fail becuase of the lack of supplier details.

it's a pita system, but it does work. we had the police round to check our records as they found a stolen vehicle with plates on it that had our supplier details on, came and checked the records and found the name and address of the person who bought the plates, who turned out to be a locally well known criminal - muppet had got so cocky from not being caught, that he used his own id to buy the plates for a car that he'd nicked!!

proper ones should have the BS mark and the suppliers name and postcode on the bottom. there are rumblings in the trade that plates will be checked at mot time for the bs marks etc.....and that the "show plates" as they are comonly known, will be a fail becuase of the lack of supplier details.

Could this be a problem fro pre-73 vehicles or will they be excempt? My B+W plates have neither BS mark or a suppliers name - I did have to send all sorts of documents off to get them.