Good feedback for britpart?

muddy

Following on from a HD clutch topic a few weeks ago i thought i would update, i purchased a HD britpart cover and plate from rakeway engineering including a ali release bearing (thing of beauty and even came wrapped in page 3 :i-m_so_happy: )

Anyway i've now got a couple of hundred miles on it and it seems all is well (so far :ph34r: ) It did have a slight rattle at idle when i first fitted it but that has now gone.

Hoping to do some heavier towing in the next few weeks to really test it but so far i must say its like a different motor!

Will.

Yes yes yes i know :ph34r:

Nige it came from neil with the advice standard tdi probably ok, anything other or heavy use fit the AP job. However that is six times the price (and at least 10 times better), so i thought i'd be foolish and test out ****parts 24month warranty.

Probably closer to 500 miles, still nothing like proven but 499.9 miles more than i was expecting :hysterical:

Pulling a railway carraige shell on a 7x18ft trailer will be a fun test :unsure:

Some Britprat stuff is good quality OEM stuff. The trouble is that some of their stuff is utter carp and there is no way of telling till you have it in your hand what you will get. On that basis I tend to avoid it where there is a choice or unless quality of material is not of such importance as, say, price.

Chris

"the only good thing that comes from brit part are there seat covers,very good fit"

So you wouldn't buy an OEM part in a Britpart box and would rather pay more for exactly the same part from exactly the same manufacturer but in a different box?

By the way, their seat covers ARE very good and they ARE their own make.

So you wouldn't buy an OEM part in a Britpart box and would rather pay more for exactly the same part from exactly the same manufacturer but in a different box?

Depends on the item. Take U/Js for example, just because it is a GKN UJ in the Britpart box doesn't mean that it is the same as the GKN UJ you would get in a Land Rover box. GKN will make that fitment of UJ in many guises for different vehicles, with different duty levels (with regard to needle bearing sizes, fitment of thrust washers, seals, grease nipples etc.).

Same goes for bearings. Just because it is a Timken 2" taper-roller bearing (for argument's sake) does not mean it is up to the same level as the Timken 2" taper-roller bearing you would get in a Land Rover box!

"the only good thing that comes from brit part are there seat covers,very good fit"

By the way, their seat covers ARE very good and they ARE their own make.

if it says brit part on the box i dont buy it except for the seat covers they do fit rather well

Depends on the item. Take U/Js for example, just because it is a GKN UJ in the Britpart box doesn't mean that it is the same as the GKN UJ you would get in a Land Rover box. GKN will make that fitment of UJ in many guises for different vehicles, with different duty levels (with regard to needle bearing sizes, fitment of thrust washers, seals, grease nipples etc.).

Same goes for bearings. Just because it is a Timken 2" taper-roller bearing (for argument's sake) does not mean it is up to the same level as the Timken 2" taper-roller bearing you would get in a Land Rover box!

I'm not entirely convinced by that argument. I'd be very surprised if Timken made a bearing to a lower tolerance than their normal levels, and put their mark on it. I'd think the time and setup costs would cost too much.

Still, I could be wrong, but it just doesn't sound right.

I'm not entirely convinced by that argument. I'd be very surprised if Timken made a bearing to a lower tolerance than their normal levels, and put their mark on it. I'd think the time and setup costs would cost too much.

Still, I could be wrong, but it just doesn't sound right.

I'm not saying that they make a bearing specifically for Britpart etc, although I wouldn't put that past the realms of possibility with the volume Britpart would be buying. More that they choose items of the same fitment but not necessarily the same durability, ie. designed for lighter duty applications.

The example I knew of with the U/Js was that the Britpart "OEM" ones were a GKN specified for another Leyland vehicle which had the same fitment (ie. cap and yoke width) but was nowhere near as strongly built as the GKN item specified by Land Rover. The same may be so for bearings, though I don't know for sure. I have had OEM bearings from Britpart (Timken branded) which have been fine, though that doesn't necessarily mean they all would be. I have also had OEM GKN U/Js from Britpart which are clearly nowhere near as well built as the genuine Land Rover boxed GKN U/Js I've had.

I guess the trick is to find the part number that GKN or Timken or Corteco or whoever give the part in question, and make sure that the 'OEM' one you buy has that number on it. Then you can be fairly sure it's the same one you would get in a Land Rover box :)

I have normal TD5 clutch kit from Britpart, 56k km and still going strong. When pulling hard, some burned smell, but nothing else.... bad expirience coming from their bushes and rubbers, really weak shock absorbers. However, here in Colombia OEM and Genuine are not buyable, they are really expensive (1000 pounds for a TD5 fuel pump, only 270 from the Britpart, still the Britpart lasted 3 times the km the Genuine one did), so our first option is Britpart....