Converting a Superwinch PTO driven to Electric

Lorrick

Hi All

As you might know by the occasional posting on here :blush: I have been having a wot-zit of a job getting a couple of uj's for a Superwinch PTO drive, ( not wishing to pay £200 each from Superwinch) and I suddenly thought, is it possible to convert a mechanical driven winch to an electric on or has anyone done it. Just an idea, and thoughts welcome :blink:

Cheers Richard

Why not use steering ujs I know there not ideal and I know some people on here will get the hump at the thought. But you have nothing to lose the worst that can happen is they break I would however keep a close eye on them and pick some from a non power steering set up. I will probably do this when mine fail.

Mike

Steering UJs work pretty well, though there are better ones than Land Rover for the purpose To***a for example which have proper spiders with needle roller bearings.

Running a PTO winch from an electric motor has a bit of a problem - the reduction ratio. An average electric winch has a ratio of about 170:1 whereas a PTO winch is likely to be closer to 50:1 so at the very least you would need to gear the motor down by 3.5:1 before feeding it into the winch.

Si

Hi Adrian

I can get the spiders but I need the Yolks as two of them are broken. I have tried GKN and Hardy Spicer (all one firm now) and they stopped making the original ones, but someone I know can get the blank casting. But with all the machining to do I thought there might be an easier way. I have ordered a couple of Range Rover steering uj's but thought there might be a standard fix to turn it electric.

Thanks Richard

vapormatic or sparex agri supplies or the like, will have some pto tubes,yokes etc in lots of different sizes, 1000rpm version should be fine for limited time winching

http://www.vapormatic.com/catalogue/catalogue.ashx?prmPageDetail=50&prmSource=013140&prmOem=PT&prmSearchType=0&prmAreaId=410&prmMachineId=5437&prmMajorId=6103&prmTitle=PTO%20Italian%20Type,%20Outer%20yoke&prmUser=&prmVapLang=ENGLISH&prmCutDown=True

I used these:

http://www.ndeclarketransmissions.co.uk/page1.htm

From memory, it is the SAE1140 type joint, Which I think is what superwinch uses as well. but as you found getting one made is not cheap.

Alternatively, this uj is also used on the freelander propshaft and the MGB propshaft (My prop is made up with these)

I used a 1140 joke at the PTO end, MGB UJ, Freelander fixed prop, MGB sliding prop, MGB UJ, 1140 joke at winch end. All these jokes share the same UJ, so 1 spare cross piece will do you on the trail.

This also means that you could get an MGB prop or freelander prop and graft that on your shafts. But I would have look on the bay first before you go that route, or send a PM to adrian....

Daan

• 3 weeks later...