v8 or 200tdi

Bluemoon

I 've got a 130 rolling chassis with a nice V8 in it, with a 5 speed box ,starts up first time and runs with no problems. I plan to build it up to make a camper. I have also got a 200tdi engine laid waiting to be used and a lt77 gearbox still fitted in a 110. Now I am tempted to a conversion due to the fact I have had a 300tdi now for about 8 years and know it a bit better than a V8, ( I have a limited knowledge, I have stripped the carbs before, but thats about it).

Now while it is still a rolling chassis , do you think I should do;

1, a conversion , with engine and gearbox

2, a conversion , with engine, using original gearbox{is it possible)

3, a lpg conversion,( Su carbs so pretty easy I think)

bearing in mind, I would probably due a veg oil conversion with the diesel.

your thoughts, please.

Brian

200, mine returns 35mpg on a good run up the motorway, and thats running on 100% Bio in the summer, which is supposedly 10% less than what DERV can achieve, although I've never tried a comparison. Thats also running with a fair amount of weight in, rather than just an empty 88", although the 130 camper would be heavier so the mpg would probably be less, but then so would that of a V8

If you stayed V8 I would at last go to a decent EFI one as the carbed ones are ~30bhp or more down on power and the MPG will be abysmal too. I'd very strongly suggest megasquirting it for the sake of better MPG, performance and reliability. Good with LPG too as you can have proper switchable ignition settings.

Otherwise, I'd bow to the sheeple and fit a TDi, mind you I'd fit an Isuzu 2.8 or Nissan before I fitted a Land Rover one thefinger.gif as in a loaded 130 a LR lump will have a hell of a job.

A v8 will be a better experience in a 130 camper but depends on what noise level you are happy with. I had a 300tdi DCHCPU and it was very capable but when fully loaded it was working hard . The thing is fuel economy with a V8 will be a killer unless you go with lpg and that takes up a lot more room . You need to be multipoint injection etc to get decent power out , also depends where you intend to go eg UK gas Ok africa etc forget it . Either way what you have isnt the best choice without further input . JMHO

I'll not be going to Africa, even though I would love to, but probably Europe, I have got a Iveco 2.5 turbo, which is a really good engine, but I don't know how much chew it would be to fit, or if it was worth the effort. I was going to scrap the whole vehicle today, but I bent the trailer while loading it up, It was still half full with washing machine , and a 3/4 size slate snooker table. I was having a good day till then, I had to laugh though.{otherwise I'd cry).

Brian

diseasel is the best. real trucks dont have spark plugs!

my series got over 35mpg average with a tdi down the motorway at 75.

and around 30 just pottering round, though it was tuned which sounds silly but this did improve my economy.

diseasel is the best. real trucks dont have spark plugs!

my series got over 35mpg average with a tdi down the motorway at 75.

and around 30 just pottering round, though it was tuned which sounds silly but this did improve my economy.

Yeh! way to go, real trucks can't go in the LEZ (not that anyone really wants to) :hysterical:

• 1 month later...

I fitted a 2.8 Isuzu in place of an ok 89,000mile V8 3.5 carb, I did notice a difference, economic and powerful, I would not hurry back to petrol, maybe lpg, but I did get fed up of having to find stations etc (I'm not organised) They are lovely engines I'm looking for a spare one some where.

It's quite simple really.

The 3.5 running on carbs will be far more fun than a oil burner (unless you are acutely deaf, if your not deaf don't worry fit an oil burner & you soon will be so that's all sorted) but you may as well take up heroin.

If you like driving but aren't too concerned about leaving your kids an inheritance change the 3.5 to a squirted V8.

If you like driving but want to mind the pennies (for the kids) fit either a standard Td5 or a non LR oil burner.

If you don't really like driving, are a tight arse & have the kind of physigog that means you will be kept out of the gene pool fit a 200 or 300 Tdi.

Only joking chaps, each to their own.