Hi,

I wish my first post could be a good one but unfortunately not!

The clutch in my 89' Defender needs replacing. The garage want lots of money to fix it about £500 :(

I have seen on other forums and people have been saying to do them yourself, is this job possible, if I have a work space and an engine lift, can it be done!?

Sam

We did a clutch and decided the easiest way with the older engines is to just take the engine out and give it a good clean at the same time! Took 2 hours to get the engine out from when the truck arrived in the yard at 10am, it was out and running again by 3 with a quick lunch break! Real easy job too do, undoing the bell housing is probably hardest part

I just did mine, is a field, in the dark, with it snowing. Went the engine crane through the door route, but next time I will try the engine out option as access will be a million time easier and you don't need to man handle the gearbox / transfer box assembly.

Splitting the two and doing it all from underneath is easier alone, however I think it's always better to take engine out give it a good clean with sPray thinners and give everything a good look over. It's also a sight more comfortable while the engines suspended in the air

if you decide to take the engine out route, if the splines won't line up straight away, remember not only to turn the engine via the pulley bolt, but also make sure the hand brake is on and its in gear, otherwise as i found out, the input shaft will just turn with the crank. . . A damn healthy wobble goes a long way too!

Just done mine, easy to take the engine out (2.5na), jack the front of the clutch bellhousing and make sure all the gearbox mountings are loose as you pull the engine makes it easy, also replace the rear crank seal at the same time if there is any sign of oil leakage from it.

Took a few days but I wasnt rushing.

img0019nh.jpg

Hi

Armed with good info from this forum I used the gear box back method, with use of an engine hoist through the doors. You will be in there to take out the g/box bolts out.

Give it a test drive before you build it all back up. ^_^ Only needed a second pair of hands/eyes to line the g/box back up.

Thanks for all the replies from what I can see the engine out option looks best. I am in Middleham in the Dales, only moved up here a few months ago by myself so I still haven't met enough people with Defenders!

Sam

Join a club Sam, thats the best advice you can get............ get to know other owners, and a few words of advice, if you go to the clubs monthly meet, make an effort to talk to people, don;t sit back and wait to be spoken too, cos unless you wear a land rover t shirt, no-one will know you're a land rover person!! we've had exactly this in our club, and we get moaned at for not welcoming people!

Nice area youre in, i have a friend in kirby malzeard that i do some work for.

I usually move the gearbox back as you dont have any fluids to buy/refill/bleed then,infact i should be swapping another clutch fork on weds and will be moving the box.

Will.

I've done it both ways and I would say if I'm working on my own then it's crane through the door and gearbox back.

It does depend on the engine.....

With the LT77 Defenders (2.5 NA, 2.5 TD, 200TDI) the bellhousing is very tight to the bulkhead. With the engine in its normal location accessing the nuts is very hard. I'm also not sure if there is enough space to move the gearbox backwards. 300TDI/R380 is a different story.

another tip for you if the engine is out and going back in, when turning the crank like said with it in gear and handbrake on. once they have lined up, if its still being a bugger, put it into neutral, and then turn the crank some more. and it helps to line up the crank in the lateral direction if that makes sense. i doubt it does but it works well!

Cheers for all your help. The car now has a new clutch kit, arm and flywheel re-surface. We took it to the garage in the end as we just weren't confident with what we were doing.

I took it to Mr Clutch who did it for a really reasonable price.

However I am now more worried than before. The car is shaking under acceleration (above say 45mph) and the transfer box rattles like anything in reverse. Could this be as a result of the garage changing the clutch?

I'm starting to give up on this one.

Any advice/help much appreciated.