how many miles on a tank full???

inchman

On a related note, here's a plot of my 300tdi 110 fuel economy, running on 265 ATs. Any suggestions why it's dropping off so much?

post-19166-0-13848100-1329491648_thumb.jpg

Reasonably consistant useage (8mile each way to work, plus the odd occasional trip elsewhere)

I've changed air & fuel filters with no sign of improvement.

I'm just worried that it's going to keep dropping and end up at 0 :blink:

Kev

On a related note, here's a plot of my 300tdi 110 fuel economy, running on 265 ATs. Any suggestions why it's dropping off so much?

Reasonably consistant useage (8mile each way to work, plus the odd occasional trip elsewhere)

Kev

Would you say it was also following the temperature to some extent? Diesels tend to get worse economy in the winter.... doesn't really explain the initial drop off though. Although that may be due to a few longer trips etc in the good weather skewing the stats.

Kev

There might be a leak somewhere that's getting worse? A hole in the tank? Leak off pipes?

For a 90 you should be able to get up to 300 or so miles out of a tank. My light came on this morning at 305 miles, but most of that was motorway driving so nice and efficient. Usually comes on at about 260-280 miles. Does 30mpg pretty consistently, this last tank was 32.5mpg though due to the nature of the driving.

But obviously it depends on the engine and tank size. Tdi engines should be able to get 30mpg, Td5s should get 28-30mpg.

Standard 90 side tank is about 12 gallons, 110 rear (metal) tank is approx. 17.5 gallons.

Yep agree, on my 90 300TDi, I get around 265 miles if driven carefully - I cruise at 60mph on the motorway with occasional overtakes at 70. I usually refil around 265/270 miles which then takes around 42 litres to brim the filler, so could get 300 from a tank, if I dared.

My best mpg has been over 34mpg on motorway miles and I regularly get over 32mpg mixed miles in the summer, its around 29mpg mixed miles due to the cold weather at present.

235/85's AT's, mild tweak to FIP and full width intercooler, but I do have a 1.2 ratio transfer. I don't drive like a nun either! :P

Would be interesting to know how accurate people think their speedo is when quoting mpgs

Speedos are made to give the wrong speed so you shouldn't be caught speeding. The mileometer is supposed to be accurate.....Do a check with the GPS on a flat road against the speedo. Or find your local police marked mile or half mile and check it that way.

My speedo is spot on with the current tyres, checked against numerous GPS devices. I think the same mechanism drives the mileometer as does the speed needle, so if one was out I would think they both would be.

Generally speedos over-read by between 5-10%, partly for the reason Mike gives above and partly to make people think their cars drive faster. They're also allowed to over-read by 10% but not under-read at all in law, so manufacturers probably err on the side of caution.

I realise that about speedos, I did a little research a while back ;)

What I was getting at was that we know how many different tyre sizes you can fit on a Land Rover and how that affects the displayed speed (especially if you don't change the little coloured gear), with such widely varying MPG's being quoted for 200tdi's (from 19mpg to 34mpg) there has to be something else going on.

So an indication as to whether you believe the speedo to be under or over reading would be useful if known.

Would you say it was also following the temperature to some extent? Diesels tend to get worse economy in the winter.... doesn't really explain the initial drop off though. Although that may be due to a few longer trips etc in the good weather skewing the stats.

Well that's cool if it is.I believe there were a few motorway runs at the beginning of that plot (that's when I bought it) so that's fair enough. There was a small diesel leak but I (Mark) fixed that my tightening the union up on the side of the tank.

I know my tank holds 80 litres, 'cos in the interests of science ok, I screwed up, I ran out of diesel the other week, and measured the amount required to brim the tank.

I know my speedo / odo runs on the low side, by nearly 10%, but of course, I've not changed it so my records are good relarive to each other anyway.

I did swap the mayonnaise I had stored in the back axle last weekend, which may have added a little to the drag too,

@dailysleaze - not that I've noticed yet, but I do keep checking!

Kev

My experience is that winter will take 10% off the mpg due to the colder dense air and all the additives that are in the diesel to stop it freezing.

I realise that about speedos, I did a little research a while back ;)

What I was getting at was that we know how many different tyre sizes you can fit on a Land Rover and how that affects the displayed speed (especially if you don't change the little coloured gear), with such widely varying MPG's being quoted for 200tdi's (from 19mpg to 34mpg) there has to be something else going on.

So an indication as to whether you believe the speedo to be under or over reading would be useful if known.

from 19 -34mpg is't so odd with everyones driving style and tyres sizes being diffrent

Always use the TomTom when I'm calculating fuel consumption, usually when we go on holiday, fill to a level before we leave, take the TomTom everywhere until we get back, then fill to level again. It has a function for measuring distance travelled since any given point. with the rnagy diffs in, my speedo says 44 when we're doing 60.....

550 miles is about the limit on a tank. Usually ~37.5MPG, I can get 40MPG+ if I try but I have had it up to 45MPG on a French Autoroute. Td4 Freelander on road tyres...

Defenders no idea really. I had 32MPG from the Td5 110 when I first got it and the 90 300Tdi auto has recorded 31.5MPG. Both on road/ATs.

Chris

I have a 300tdi Defender, I have run out of fuel a couple of times but never seem any light come on.

Where is the elusive light located, on the gauge?

Some models don't have them. I think the later 300TDIs didn't have the low fuel warning light, but it was brought back for the TD5. When fitted it is in the lower dash panel along with the parking brake warning light, indicator tell tale etc. It might be worth a look next time you have the dash apart in case it is just a blown bulb.

My old 300 TDI used to be good for another 80 miles or so after the needle entered the red zone.

Now to my logic I should be getting better economy in winter with.my 300tdi. Colder denser air means that there is more cold and dense oxygen in the cylinders to ensure complete efficient combustion. Plus engine efficiency is partly due to thermal differential, so having the ambient air 30c lower would mean a greater temp differential between engine and ambient in winter and better running.

As for economy... no idea. I dont measure it really. I just know I can get to work and back for 3 weeks before the gauge is scarily low. When it starts getting to 2.5 weeks I know its due a service.

I would have thought the longer engine warm-up time would affect the efficiency in the winter more than anything else. The engine won't be efficient until it reaches full operating temperature, which may mean 5-6 miles or so on a cold morning.

I guess the air is more dense, so harder to push through, though I can't imagine it makes much difference on a vehicle with the aerodynamics of a house brick!