Trolley jacks

Been looking for a half sensible one of these for a while as the RAC special I pilfered out of a friends garage struggles to lift... well... anything really.

So, from these two, which would you buy? Or suggest a better alternative for a similar price.

Sealey 1153CX

Clarke CTJ3000QL

I do keep checking eBay for something local, but all I seem to find is knackered old rubbish.

Personally, I would spend a little bit more and get a 'garage' style jack - one with a handle you can pump whilst stood up. So much better than the 'hobbyist' ones - F-heavy but way more stable and quicker to use too. I've got the screwfix std issue one, which has now gone up to £99 (hence not linked to it!) but does everything a jack should...

Costco were doing a very decent one 'Arcan' copy for £75-odd a while ago, if you have/know anyone who has a card.

Neither.

Find someone with a Costco card and buy an Arcan XL30 for about £80.

Low profile so fits modern Euroboxes but has way more lift than the two suggested (about 21"). Only fault

I have with mine is it's heavy so it may not be for you if portability is an issue.

I got a 3t garage style torx trolley jack from B&Q of all places! They sometimes have an offer on and mine was only £40. One problem is i wish i had got 2! Personally i find the smaller 2 t trolley jacks ok for occasional work, but as the majority of the time you are at the top end of its lift, i do consider them o be one there limit for a landrover.

I have a 3 ton Clarke jack without quick lift - and its not the raised saddle model you show. I've had it for about 3 years now and it seems fine.

When I chose it I was looking for width as an aid to general stability - and chose the 3 ton loading on the basis that things tend to perform best when not pushed to their limits. A 2 ton one may pump quicker. The 3 ton had a good lift height which makes lifting Land Rover chassis less hazardous.

Having used the thing I doubt if a pedal operated quick start jack would be any advantage as most of the times I use it I wouldn't be able to get my foot on the as it would be under the vehicle.

You definately need 3 TONNE and not 3 tonne if you know what I mean :)

My 3 tonne jack is the bigger style with the cog release, and it has a carp release valve that jams easily.

I'm not sure what a good 3 tonne trolley jack looks like, but I recon it's over £200 ;)

Have a look on Fleabay for 10 Te jacks.

I got one for £50 a couple of years ago, it's a industrial one for lifting fork lifts etc.

It's stupidly big and heavy but it will lift the back of my 110 of the floor without trying.

I've been using a Sealey-3003CXQ for a couple of years, it's great. I picked mine up for about £80

3 Tonne and it has quick lift and a 504mm max lift height (good for 38" tyres) and a larger lifting pad than some other jacks

I bought a Clarke jack some time ago, its one of the ones 'deisgned for 4x4's' that lifts quickly until contact. Has a screwed up pad on the saddle to get extra lift....Its sh*t, and its been back to the supplier, and a different one came back, that had obviosly been someone else's, thats still sh*t, its feels like its full of air, and I can't get it out.

Lidl's had an offer on for 2t trolley jacks for either 9.99 or 19.99, can't remember, I bought 2 and although a little short on lift, they've been fantastic. Even if they were 19.99 each, the pair still cost me less than the clarke one, that's residing at the back of the shed...somewhere...i think...

I have now sent back 3 of the Clarke CTJ3000QL jacks in the last 4 years, they have a very poor design of attaching the handle to the ram, whereby a small C shaped piece of metal is just pinched over so it catches on the top of the ram. After a couple of months use, it gives up. In the last instance machine mart refused to give me a replacement also.

This summer I bought this set http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-Tools-3010CX-Trolley-Jack-Pair-3T-Axle-Stands-/200610505901?pt=UK_Lifting_Moving_Equipment&hash=item2eb55164ad#ht_1796wt_1187

The jack is much wider than the sealey which is ideal for keeping it stable on more un-even ground. It is also a lot heavier and of better quality. The only downside is that it lacks the unladen-quick lift...but you do get a free pair of axle stands also!

Harry

I also would spend more and get the Sealey-3003CXQ jack, I have one and swear by it. I also have the smaller type for use with the eurobox instead of those stupid ½ scissor jacks to get. but when you really need a good firm sable lift, use the Sealey one.

Thanks to all those who have replied so far.

General concensus is that the two initial suggestions I made were both carp wrong, and the right thing to do is buy a new sealey jack with a model number 3xxx. I have previously used a couple of these and they are very good, just a bit more spendy than I wanted - watch the for sale forum for a selection of my junk useful spares coming soon!

I have one of these 3 ton Clarke jacks from MachineMart... but I don't recall it being that expense?! Anyway, I originally went for the Quick Lift but they seemed to be 'recalled' at the time with a fault, so I went for the regular lift. I also have a different jack (Halfords) which is a 2 ton quick lift, but it is only quick when there's no load.

Main point is that the 3 ton jack is excellent, lifts effortlessly, is wide and solid, and hasn't let me down (no pun intended!) for the three years I've had it.

I have one of these 3 ton Clarke jacks from MachineMart... but I don't recall it being that expense?! Anyway, I originally went for the Quick Lift but they seemed to be 'recalled' at the time with a fault, so I went for the regular lift. I also have a different jack (Halfords) which is a 2 ton quick lift, but it is only quick when there's no load.

Main point is that the 3 ton jack is excellent, lifts effortlessly, is wide and solid, and hasn't let me down (no pun intended!) for the three years I've had it.

i have the same jack, had it for about 4 years and cant fault the quality

I can't fault mine either, great bit of kit :)

I have an old Halfords one that's rated at 2 tons and apart from the fact that with 235/85 tyres it's at the end of it's travel when the tyres are off the ground, it's OK. I always use axle stands under the chassis anyway, but my question with trolley jacks is where do you place it?

The books seem to suggest under the diff but I just have this horrible feeling Im going to crush the pan before I get it up!

I tend to put it on the end of the axle under the spring mounts but this means I have to jack each side up separately. So where is the best place to put it so I can raise the complete Front/Back?

Malcolm

have you ever considered a high lift jack??

I have one and can lift my entire 90 in 2 mins flat without breaking a sweat or bending my back!

And if your going off road it fits in the back no problem.

http://www.hi-lift.com/hi-lift-jacks/cast-steel.html

I would invest in some axle stands if your doing alot of work under the landy.

I always use axle stands whenever I do any work that requires jacking.

I've read about problems with high lifts "running away" but confess to not knowing much about them although they seem a good idea and beat the standard jack that hardly lifts a Defender enough to change the tyres.

Malcolm