200TDi Disco, flywheel housing gasket replacement

ejparrott

While my 88 is in pieces, and having her gearbox changed, I thought it'd be a good idea to change the flyhweel housing gasket, rear crank seal and the flywheel bush, hoping that in approximately 2 years when the planned chassis swap happens, that I'll be able to swap engine and gearbox in one hit.

Do I need to drop the oil to change the gasket and crank seal, or does the oil sit low enough not to?

Oil is definitely below the crank, been there twice. The first was a genuine Dowty that leaked for no visible reason, the 2nd also a Dowty fell out after about a month and the current one is a squishy orange pattern part that seals better and has lasted some years now, plus it was a lot cheaper to buy.

Thanks guys, already got the gasket, had it some time. I've not had any trouble with oil soaked gaskets before, but I am tempted to use RTV now you mention it........

Mike I'm not taking the engine out, only the gearbox which needs changing anyway.

Anyone any special tricks or tips I should be aware of?

If your rear main bearing cap T-seals leak, oil will seep out of the gasket, whereas an rtv seal will prevent that from happening.

Make sure you use threadlok on the flywheel bolts and they are torqued-up correctly. You don't want the flywheel coming loose.

Les.

• 4 years later...

An older thread but can I ask a question as I'm about to start removing gearbox to do rear crank seal, might aswell do flywheel housing while in there .

ref Les input about using rtv.. where do I put it ?? The gasket looks large , can't imagine I cover that whole area in sealant?

assuming I need a ring around crank seal hole and then edge of housing ???

anyone ?

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Forgot to ask a couple more things, I'm thinking it will be easier to mate tbox and gbox together and refit as one unit, obviously aware about tbox seal damage if fitted separate . 

Is this best ?

also do I have to remove my new tbox cross drilled input to mate them together ?

and last ( for now) do I need to pre oil/ grease anything ?

thanks to all for input and especially Les for the very well detailed how to write ups on pretty much everything . 

5 hours ago, Chambo110 said:

Yep, it has.. not fitted yet but one of the next jobs. 

Along with trying to get gearbox rear oil seal and collar out ??

any tips for that part

The collar needs a special puller to get it off and another tool to refit. So leave in place.

Carefully drill 2 small screws into the seal and then screw in 2 small self tapping screws into the holes. You should be able to use the screws to pull out the seal. Don't go mad with the drill or screws or you will damage the collar.

Get an old coleslaw pot or plastic milk bottle and cut out a strip approx 50mm wide and long enough to wrap around the collar - i.e make a plastic ring. Secure ring together with thin tape. Grease thoroughly on the outside and slide over collar. Pack inside of seal - i.e the side where the spring is, with Vaseline. Grease seal lips lightly. Slide seal over the plastic ring, the ring will prevent the lip being damaged by the groove in the shaft collar and the Vaseline will prevent the lips flipping inside out. Tap seal home. Gently pull out plastic ring.

Edited by simonb
  • Like 1

Anyone help with the mating of the 2 boxes? 

Does crossdrilled input need to be removed to fit the 2 together?

And, is it just the input / output seals on the respective boxes that stop oil from between the 2 ( no gaskets or sealant needed between the 2)

thanks