Driving to Bosnia, what to do/see en-route?

As per the title, we're planning to go to Bosnia this summer, GF has been all organised and worked out an itninerr innitit itititin list of places wot we'll drive through :ph34r: but I know nowt about most of 'em, so I thought I'd tap up the collected knowledge on here for any tips, sights to see on the way, places worth a visit, things to avoid, etc.

So the route currently looks a bit like this:

Calais

Stuttgart

Hohenschwangau

Werfen (ice caves)

Bovec

Plitvice Lakes

Sarajevo

Mostar

Maribor

Nuremberg

Liege

Calais

When you're passing through Belgium, feel free to come have a pint with us, it's not too far off your route ;)

I'm trying to organise a (separate) trip to Belgium to sample the local beers, we did one a couple of years back that was awesome but the beer was interrupted by "culture" a couple of times, so I'm demanding a 2nd visit ^_^

Ross - It might have been pub-based, GF will insist on dragging me to beer festivals, it's hell I tell ya! It will probably be in the Freelander rather than the 109, haven't quite convinced her on that one yet for long journeys!

The salt mines of Saltzburg are worth while going to if you're going to Werfen - I was dragged there with a gob on me, but they were actually worth seeing - huge underground mines with an underground lake, and you go on a gay boat ride through lit up crystal caverns. And you get a mini bottle of salt at the end. Seriously though, it was quite interesting.

We dropped in to Baden-Baden en route to Stuttgart - there's an awesome Spa there which has got all the usual saunas, jacuzzis etc, and a huge steamy heated pool that goes outside and has a monster wave machine that shoots you round :) Was dragged into that place as well, but had to be dragged back out!

Bled in Slovenia is on your way, a really cool town by a big lake framed by snow capped mountains, good campsite there too. great driving roads and views through the mountains.

The coast road all the way south through Croatia is awesome, it hugs the coast all the way down and the views over the cliffs and beaches across the med are stunning. Loads of good cheap camping too, usually next to the beach. If you want to make a bit of ground you can get on to the main autoroute that runs parallel - you can then hook into Bosnia in the south near Mostar and work back up through Bosnia- though it's worth going a bit further on to get to Dubrovnik, really picturesque walled city with loads of good cafe bars pizzerias and shops, great place for getting on the all-dayer ;)

If you are going to Hohenswangau , then very close by is Neuschwanstein, which is the castle that the Disney one was modeled on . also nearby is Fussen, Oberammergau , and Garmish , all very scenic you can ride up the Zugspitze (cable car) and get areally good view if its not cloudy . Re Werfen , very close to here is Berchtesgaden , location of Hitlers Eagles Nest, well worth a visit to the top , the bus ride alone is quite entertaining ! JMHO

As above Croatia is an awesome country. visit the national parks and try to get some time on the coast to.

Dubrovnik is a lovely place but over run with tourists. If you can get to Zadar and/or Split they are beautiful.

Ps. The water is colder than it looks!

G

Make sure you take in the Porsche and Mercedes museums in Stuttgart (though I guess that is why you are going, I lived there for 5 years and can't think of another reason lol).

Some great passes in the Alps such as the Stelvio can be relatively easily worked into the route and I would recommend a transit via the Dolomites in one direction if you like mountain scenery.

Unless you are in a hurry you can save considerable bucks by keeping off the motorways in Switzerland, Austria, Slovakia and Croatia and will also see more of the countries you pass through. Factor in a few more days though as the roads are not fast and full of tourists in summer. Likewise tunnels cost money, the pass over the hill they tunnel under is usually free and more interesting.

One most see on the route would be Postojna caves in Slovenia... one of the natural wonders of the world. Do not compare with UK show caves!!!

Cheers guys, good stuff!

I think Neuschwanstein is on the "to-do" list.

Unfortunately Stuttgart is an overnight stop only, might have to arrange a visit at a later date as I have heard good things about the Merc museum. Either that or drive a bit faster on the Autobahn so we have time to kill once we get there ^_^

When you're passing through Belgium, feel free to come have a pint with us, it's not too far off your route ;)

What he said!

And I would strongly recommend Leuven, Brussels, Antwerp or even Gent, basically any city would be better to visit than Liege. Unless you get a kick out of seeing ridiculously expensive train stations...

I sometimes have meetings in Liege, and absolutely hate it!

As for alternatives, Leuven certainly offers a great selection of beers, so does Brussels. In Brussels you'll have to look a lot harder to find a nice pub, but there is more to see in a bigger city as well.

The route you're likely to take will pass Gent, Brussels and Leuven. And not to far from Hasselt either. All worthwhile, let us know what you decide and we'll give you some pointers.

• 2 weeks later...

Fridge-whatever you do DO NOT go offroading in Bosnia,Croatia, or serbia(Republic of serbska) without checking where the land mines are-the country is full of the bloody things left over from the war there, see here: http://www.unicef.org/bih/media_6394.html , here: scroll down to the bottom on this one: http://www.livingwithlandmines.org/1_4_FAQ.html

Just be damn careful thats all

All minefields are now marked. The perimeter fences get checked every year and 2m is added to allow for mine migration. You will have no problems with mines unless you blatently go past a mine sign.

• 3 weeks later...

You should definitively drive to Dubrovnik, it shouldn't be more than 3 hours from Mostar, and it's really worth it. The old city is beautiful, but the traffic can get terrible, and finding a parking space is almost impossible. Last time i went there i ended up parking near the port, and walking almost 3 km. You can also drive up the hill east of the city, wonderful view from there

Just shouldn't forget that you are driving a RHD car in the Balkans, where traffic can be reckless, and a lot of drivers don't obey the rules. And be careful of the Police especially in Bosnia, as they hand out speeding tickets for nothing. Just slow down when you notice them, even if you are slower then the actual limit. And don't forget that you should always have your headlights on when driving (not the small land rover sidelights, they don't count). The rest of the rules are like in Europe, at least for Bosnia and Croatia. The speed limit in the cities might be 40 kph, but I'm not sure.

Sounds similar to Russia then - the cops pull over the middle vehicle in a convoy for speeding :lol:

Plans have advanced a bit, timing has moved back a week as GF spotted we can pop in on the truck racing at Nurburgring on the way home, stopping in Bamburg for beer the night before.

Itinerary is looking a bit like this, some of the places (EG Dunkirk) are just a quick overnight stop rather than a proper visit;

Calais

Dunkirk

Stuttgart

Neuschwanstein

Werfen

Bovec

Plitvice Lakes

Sarajevo

Mostar

Maribor

Bamberg

Nurburgring

Blighty :P

• 2 months later...

Well, the plan has been through a few iterations and the tunnel crossing is booked for Friday late-o-clock.

Route is now something like:

Calais

Dunkirk

Stuttgart

Neuschwanstien

Werfen

Bovec

Plitvice Lakes National Park

Sarajevo

Mostar

Maribor

Bamberg

Aachen

Home!

As part of my extensive vehicle prep I have had the air-con re-gassed and got a bigger USB stick for the stereo :P

You will LOVE Plitvice!! It is an amazing place, have never seen something like that in Europe. And I think in Sarajevo you should find (if you can) the Olympic sign and take a pic

I have to say that it is not the best time to go to the old Yugoslavia - the whole Eastern Europe is going to be heading that way as of this comming weekend - schools are closing this Friday. The cops - german, austrian, croatian - the bloody lot - especially on the arrival roads are hot on speeding and toll stickers - literary stopping every foreign car. Took the landy last year - after the 6th police stop it got tiresome.

If you can - take a fridge, and expect to be stuck in colonies of tired fathers driving their brood to the sea side.... But it is def worth it