No Fan Whatsoever

Just went to remove the cowl so as to gain access to fit the new PAS and alternator belts and discovered that the cupboard was bare ! There is no viscous coupling, fan or anything else blowing on the radiator !

Mmm, what should be there ? Googling reveals a viscous coupling which I guess connects to a proper fan which in turn blows through the cowl to the radiator ?

There are also pics of this removed and a fan fitted to the radiaror direct.

Having nothing to start with, what should I do ?

Honestly - forget it!

I took mine off about 2 years ago and fitted an electric fan. Even towing a 3.5T trailer in the summer that was well loaded, my fan has never kicked in!

Some people just remove the fans, don't fit anything else and they are fine!

Cheers

Peter

Hello, well that depends on your engine, does it get hot? - if you've not driven it under load/on motorway on a hot sunny day then I'd be a little wary as you might find it wants to overheat when stood still... you could probably pick up a fan and a viscous coupling quite easily on fleebay.

I've got a disco 200 lump in mine and Am just about to fit up a electric fan to "compliment" the viscous one... mine seems to run hot, although a good radiator clean/re-new can often solve overheating problems.

Mav

I would agree with Chris.

When I first bought my 90 and I was young and naive I removed the viscous fan and fitted an electric one. In the years that have followed the electric fan has only ever come on when doing hard work in the summer, and even then it stopped coming on after I cleaned the radiator out! Tdis are very over-cooled by design, being designed to work either in the desert or on an ice sheet. It hasn't come on at all this year, though it hasn't been warm enough yet for me to expect it to.

However, I wouldn't do it again. Not because it *needs* the viscous fan, it doesn't under normal conditions, but just because you never know what situation might arise where you would do! Viscous fans are also damn good performance wise, they shift a serious amount of air!

I fitted an electric fan to my 300tdi and also sometimes tow a 3.5 t trailer and the fan has never cut on. I just hope that it does not seize as some day I might need it, you never know. As said you might never need it but if you do ???????

Viscous fans are very good at pulling cold air over qa cold engine at _2 deg C. They are even better at shedding blades straight into the radiator matrix.

And electric fans are very good at putting a hefty load on your alternator/wiring and either filling with mud and silt and seizing up or simply seizing up through lack of use.

Apples and oranges :)

As above, either will work. But I wouldn't go to the trouble of fitting one over the other again.

Thanks for all the replies, I have only had the truck for two weeks. I have driven it 120 miles in one go the day I got it and a few wee stints irreparable and the needle has been steady. I paid careful attention to this even though I didn't know I had no fan. I will continue to keep a closer eye for now.

I run with my viscous in the back wedged between the side facing seat and hard top side, slip it on if i'm towing over 1.5 ish tons or doing something slow moving- jump starting plant, fencing etc.

Will.

Smaller even, also do you remove or keep the cowling?

Aye, mine is still off and I'm wondering if it's worth replacing it, maybe it keeps carp off the radiator ?

BTW, I manged a cut finger and a bump on the head whilst putting the belts on, had on the latex gloves and saw this on removal !!

IMG_20120420_171357.jpg

And electric fans are very good at putting a hefty load on your alternator/wiring and either filling with mud and silt and seizing up or simply seizing up through lack of use.

Apples and oranges :)

As above, either will work. But I wouldn't go to the trouble of fitting one over the other again.

As I try to look after my Defender. Any mud is cleaned out ASAP.

As for the intercooler. I've not bothered with a fan there. Never noticed any lack of powere at 1,200 RPM when travelling slow in sand.

I you will find that you will loose quite a lot of blood owning a Landi, there is always something to fiddle with and inevitably cut your self on.

Blood & guts go into them but you will love & even hate it at times. enjoy............

Aye, mine is still off and I'm wondering if it's worth replacing it, maybe it keeps carp off the radiator ?

BTW, I manged a cut finger and a bump on the head whilst putting the belts on, had on the latex gloves and saw this on removal !!

IMG_20120420_171357.jpg

You're HFH and i claim my £5 :hysterical:

IMG_20120420_171357.jpg

Your finger is definitely going to bleed if you try to use it to turn down a water pump pulley

Fit the correct viscous fan and rad cowl. Lots of people advise removing the fan and they are all wrong. Fans would not be fitted if they weren't needed and the Tdis, especially the 300s, are sensitive to overheating because of their aluminium heads.

The fan has negligible effect on warm up times, fuel consumption and performance, but will prevent the engine from cooking itself when in slow traffic, lugging heavy roads or off roading. The viscous fan barely saps power when cold and when driving normally and warm, it is generally windmilling in fast moving air so still has no significant drag - the electric fan manufacturer claims over power sapping and fuel economy are plain lies and marketing bull. Electric fans are far less efficient and less powerful than viscous fans, which is why viscous fans are still used by all vehicles where they can be fitted. Only in engine bays where the engine orientation or alignment with the rad preclude a mechanical fan get electric fans. The cowling makes the fan far more effective at low road speed but does not hinder air flow at higher speeds. Without the cowling, the intercooler will barely function at low speeds. The cowling will also help reduce water spray around the engine bay when wading and will protect your fingers when opening the bonnet with the engine running.

Fit a fan and cowl before you wreck your engine.

Fit the correct viscous fan and rad cowl. Lots of people advise removing the fan and they are all wrong. Fans would not be fitted if they weren't needed and the Tdis, especially the 300s, are sensitive to overheating because of their aluminium heads.

The fan has negligible effect on warm up times, fuel consumption and performance, but will prevent the engine from cooking itself when in slow traffic, lugging heavy roads or off roading. The viscous fan barely saps power when cold and when driving normally and warm, it is generally windmilling in fast moving air so still has no significant drag - the electric fan manufacturer claims over power sapping and fuel economy are plain lies and marketing bull. Electric fans are far less efficient and less powerful than viscous fans, which is why viscous fans are still used by all vehicles where they can be fitted. Only in engine bays where the engine orientation or alignment with the rad preclude a mechanical fan get electric fans. The cowling makes the fan far more effective at low road speed but does not hinder air flow at higher speeds. Without the cowling, the intercooler will barely function at low speeds. The cowling will also help reduce water spray around the engine bay when wading and will protect your fingers when opening the bonnet with the engine running.

Fit a fan and cowl before you wreck your engine.

Well said. I took one off a disco, needed a head skim for my troubles.