Defender Body Lift

If lifting is to get a bigger tranny in then , do it like eating an elephant eg 1 mouthfull at a time. . Start with bulkhead , and seat base and just fab brackets to suit , steering column will need to be most careful mod. The rest is just flat brakets etc . JMHO

Now, that mini hi-cap is really smart, i had a thought of that before and wasnt sure wether it would work or not, it certainly does!
but its just missing the hi-cap sill pieces to bring it down to the right body level.

and it would have to be done really smartly like above to work.

Now, that mini hi-cap is really smart, i had a thought of that before and wasnt sure wether it would work or not, it certainly does!
but its just missing the hi-cap sill pieces to bring it down to the right body level.

and it would have to be done really smartly like above to work.

Bit off the wall but what about more suspension lift and lower the engine and box in the chassis accordingly to retain prop geometry?

because any lower the engine will hit the axle... and its nicely up out of harms way atm... dont want a rock crackiing me 1:1.003 LT230 lol

you do realise how rediculous a flatbed 90 would look right? theyre not long enough. why not just rework the wheelboxes, and challenge wing the front!

i have a cunning plan... and i think i can make a flat bad work nicely... these aussies have inspired me lol

this may be another option.

Harry

83ea.jpg

IIRC that used to be green? if its the same one i saw in a landy mag yonks back... theyre nice but i dont have the patience to get it as neat as id want it tbh

Why not move the rear axle back with longer trailing arms? would solve the prop issue.

im looking into doing this as well if i fit a flat tray back as there will be no body in the way then... but i dont like the radical cut arches on some trucks tbh

If lifting is to get a bigger tranny in then , do it like eating an elephant eg 1 mouthfull at a time. . Start with bulkhead , and seat base and just fab brackets to suit , steering column will need to be most careful mod. The rest is just flat brakets etc . JMHO

good plan... i have a rough idea of how to lift the bulkhead whilst building in roll frame mounts etc just finding pics or info on the seatbelt mounts is what i need now

• 7 years later...

Has any tried Tibus portal axles. Gives you a 100mm lift. Better ground clearance on diffs. Keeps all the standard setup. Also allows you to run air lines to your tyres so you can inflate and deflate from inside the cab.

images.jpeg

Edited by Philsa
Wanted to add picture

Has any tried Tibus portal axles. Gives you a 100mm lift. Better ground clearance on diffs. Keeps all the standard setup. Also allows you to run air lines to your tyres so you can inflate and deflate from inside the cab.

Rover axles aren't really strong enough to take all this extra leverage, they're hardly strong enough for standard use. CTIS is a bit of a luxury for most people, sounds cool but fairly rare it'd actually be very useful.

Plus, an easy 10k+ for a set there's more attractive options like Unimog , Volvo C303 or even Simca axles although they're more work to fit they are at least strong enough by design. Both have been covered here many times over the years if you search back - @bill van snorkle, @dirtydiesel, @dollythelw, @MogLite all built portal trucks in various shapes and sizes over the years. Someone also built a 109 on portals many moons ago...:ph34r:

There’s a guy , Dutch I think , who fitted the Tibus portals to his 130 , he covered major distance in it as a motorsports photographer and wrote a very very long blog about it , I don’t recall him having much trouble with them although I’m pretty sure he also fitted heavy duty shafts and diffs so add another couple of grand 🤢

Edited by Ozzy50

I stand corrected Bowie , all I can remember really is that he loved em and it looked mint 👌🏻Would love to copy fridge and fit the Volvo portals but they are a bit thin on the ground (fridge will correct me now !) and still not cheap. I nearly bought a set of Portal boxes that had been removed from an AgRover , I say nearly , I was outbid on the bay ! They had been sat in a box and there was no guarantee they were complete so I didn’t bid too high . 

42 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Oh no, he did, he had lots of trouble with the early sets, not sure what has been changed since then.

But yes, heavy 130 doing tough journeying.

Just remembered, his first set were the first on a Land Rover (from Tibus ) and I’m sure they swapped them out for an updated set , must dig his blog out on the net 

Yeah I remember the 130 chap, an odd truck though, not sure why it needed portals but ISTR he had more than enough money to throw at it.

TBH these days I'd just buy an entire Volvo and call it done :lol: maybe an engine swap and a few creature comforts, but no different than LR ownership - given what Defenders go for these days it's probably financially viable too. The price of a set of Tibus axles gets you a fairly smart fully galvanised Volvo 6x6 last I looked.

I met a farmer once who had an Ag-Rover, he actually paid the local LR place to remove the portal ends and fit regular hubs as they were "more trouble than they were worth" - wouldn't sell the ends though just in case. I think the design was quite weak so prone to leaking, ISTR it was a chain-drive and not a great design.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ozzy50 said:

Just remembered, his first set were the first on a Land Rover (from Tibus ) and I’m sure they swapped them out for an updated set , must dig his blog out on the net 

Was it this guy?

I remember reading through some of his build stuff, very interesting and fully used it for years

https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/an-expedition-truck-on-portals.37713/

I would love CTIS for green lane days or running in and out of fields.
Reduce impact on the ground and improve grip but still back up to road pressures, would improve the life of the tyres too.

AgRover used chain driven portals from a small Allis Chalmers tractor, not really suitable for the weight and power IMHO