Passed!!!! No advisories :-S just had to adjust the headlights up a bit which they were happy to do :-)

Have also taken it on its maiden voyage. A few things need looking at... Firstly I have 1 to 10 leaks so all the windows stay just a little steamed up. The fuel pump I bought 2nd hand is just a little whiney so going to get a new one to see if its any better. The speedo is under reading by 20mph at 60mph. Obviously the gearing is a little different and will only get worse with taller tyres so need to sort that. The steering is a bit vague off center. Hopefully this can be cured by adjusting out a little slack. If not I may need to look into attaching a panhard rod.

On the upside it makes a lovely noise :-) reminds me I need to upload the video. And the ride actually seems pretty good. Was expecting for the leaf springs to give a more bone jarring ride!

Jad

Sounds beautiful, bet it will be quite fast, do yourself a favour and fit an ATB to the rear axle, makes cornering a much more confident experience! My truck doesn't seem to need a panhard rod either. I'd suspect a little play in the box.

That most likely makes your series one of the fastest ones around.

I must get round to sorting a bigger engine for mine now!

• 4 weeks later...

Little update. It's going well. A couple of small issues.

The fuel pump is having a bit of a hard time as it keeps dragging up some dirt from the old tank. I'm sure after a few filter changes everything will be OK! I think that the walbro is generally just a whiney pump. If it dies I'll get a Bosch one.

I had some rain leaks but have sorted that with new roof/windscreen seals.

The rear prop has rubbed one of the cross members slightly so we need to chop away part of my lovely shiny chassis :-/

The IAC valve doesn't seem to be working so we will be checking the wiring et al tomorrow.

Also have some brake judder. Checked the run out of the brake discs and there is nothing over ~3 thou so not sure what the problem currently is.

Currently completely out of character the only thing leaking is the Lexus engine! Nothing bad but would like there to be none if possible...

I would like some new wiper arms as the springs are a bit old and don't hold the wipers to the windscreen as well as they could.

Apart from all of that it goes like stink and sounds great! :-) i am getting about 17mpg but haven't been too easy on the throttle...

Cheers

Jad

Ouch.... I think mines running a bit rich at the moment. We copied the initial maps fueling ignition etc from someone elses project. Need to spend a bit of time tuning at some point. I am hoping on a run I might be able to hit 25mpg... But if I can't I'll still be smiling!

.....The rear prop has rubbed one of the cross members slightly so we need to chop away part of my lovely shiny chassis :-/

Can you get a solid prop which would be narrower and may avoid the need to cut your galv'd chassis?

Originally I did try to get solid props for both front and rear. I had one person give me a reasonable price and then later said he didn't want to do them. Others either didn't do them or wanted a silly amount of money.

Im not sure if its due to spring wrap. I have bought a go pro type camera to have a look under the car so should be able to see from that.

This is where its rubbed as you can see it has by taken the paint off the prop just cleaned it a little.... If I take a bit out of that flange I shouldn't have any proproblems until the grease nipple hits the first bit of the cross member...

post-19190-0-66757300-1436689729_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Jad

How about making it a 2 part prop , with a very short front section , and then use a swb rear prop from there ? making the suggestion as a possible , cant quite visualise the distance involved as haven't been under a series for about 3 decades .

I'm currently in the process of collecting parts for a 2 part propshaft system, to go along with my LT230 for the front axle drive.

I will use a 3 bolt flange and rubber donut (its selectable 2wd so i expect the donut to last a long time) and a discovery rear prop cut down and welded to an old diff pinion shaft to gain a removable 4 bolt flange. I will then add a support bearing assembly to this shaft and attach a standard series front prop to this.

i'm hoping this should work :stirthepot:

Too late! Have ground part of the cross member flange away and given it a coat of zinga. Sure it will be fine.

Tried to get the IAC valve working today and managed to. Then all back on the car and.... Not working! It's getting a little frustrating.

I also have a couple of videos of the front and rear axles when accelerating and braking. Will upload them later when at home.

Unfortunately I have a leak from one of my cam covers around the spark plug tube so would like to get that sorted soon.

Cheers

Jad

• 1 month later...