Magnetic signage

I want to be able to attach magnetic signage for my 4x4 Response group or for my RAYNET group (depending upon activity) to the sides of my Defender. The signs are about 615mm x 150mm.

I have salvaged some old PC cases where the matrerial used is proper steel (and thus magnetic). My thinking is that if I put them powder coated side against the aluminium and fix them I should be OK on a corrosion front but how best to fix them?

Do I just glue them, or should I use a sort of rubber sheet between. Alternatively would somehow using Velcro be better.

Has anyone done anything like this before and if so then what seems to have worked best?

I may also put some onto the roof so I can use a magmount for a PMR radio I have just got.

Any ideas much appreciated. Thanks

In rainbows in tiverton they do a pack of stickers letters and numbers. That go on a a magnetic sheet which is white. Iv also seen them in other shops. Think ther about £5-6. Well worth a look.

Same as this. But ther cheaper in the shops.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-SETS-MAGNETIC-SIGN-MAKE-YOUR-OWN-COMPANY-VAN-SIGNS-/160861075205?pt=UK_Car_Parts_Vehicles_Automobila_ET&hash=item2574113705

Magnetic forces obey an inverse cube law which, put simply, mean that you need to be very close to the steel for the magnet to stick. I have some number plates which I have put magnetic material on the back of so I can change the plates on my trailers quickly and they will only stay on if they are in direct contact with the metal of the trailer.

I think your chances of getting magnetic signage to stick to a piece of steel if there is a 2mm layer of aluminium bodywork in between are pretty slim, and it certainly won't work unless the steel is right up against the inside of the Ali. If this going to work for you, you need to put the steel on the outside of the body.

Nick

Thanks for input guys. Not too encouraging since the whole idea was to get a fairly big and prominent Lothian 4x4 Response or Lothians RAYNET sign onto both sides of the vehicle to provide publicity and also clarity when attending events. The vehicle will not necessarily be static and the signs are too expensive to go billowing off in accordance with Nick's inverse cube rule (not heard of that one but do not doubt it!

Certainly do not want steel on the outside, and equally do not want the signage on a permanent basis, so it looks perhaps like a non-starter. Also means the time spent stripping the Karrimat off the side walls was wasted :-)

Back to the drawingboard but thank you gentlemen for saving me having two expensive signs flapping off going round the bypass!!

Malcy

Looks like Thule roofbars in your avatar - presume you are still using them?

Why not make a couple of brackets to hold the PC case metalwork you've sourced, then you could stick the magnetic signs to them.

Keeps the sign up out of the reach of small fingers that have a habit of 'playing' with stuck on signs if they are in reach... :)

I tried something similar to put a magmount 450MHz UHF antenna to the roof of a Defender: 6-inch-swuare piece of thin steel plate duct-taped to the inside of the roof and magmount on the outside.

It seemed to hold - until we hit the first significant bump. There was a loud thud as the steel plate untaped itself and dropped off in the back; the magmount ended up dangling by its feeder. I ended up duct-taping the magmount to the roof on the outside, and forgetting about the steel plate. This them survived 1200 miles of motorway-travel without budging.

--Tanuki.

I tried something similar to put a magmount 450MHz UHF antenna to the roof of a Defender:... I ended up duct-taping the magmount to the roof on the outside, and forgetting about the steel plate. This then survived 1200 miles of motorway-travel without budging.

--Tanuki.

You were lucky - even though duct tape is good stuff. I've watched a magmount (rally radio) taped to the roof of a Disco become dislodged as he started off on a stage (very low speed) and swing on the cable 'til it went through the rear door window! Glass everywhere - an expensive day! :)

All my antennas are firmly fixed.

I tried something similar to put a magmount 450MHz UHF antenna to the roof of a Defender: 6-inch-swuare piece of thin steel plate duct-taped to the inside of the roof and magmount on the outside.

It seemed to hold - until we hit the first significant bump. There was a loud thud as the steel plate untaped itself and dropped off in the back; the magmount ended up dangling by its feeder. I ended up duct-taping the magmount to the roof on the outside, and forgetting about the steel plate. This them survived 1200 miles of motorway-travel without budging.

--Tanuki.

But now you have no ground plane?

The "ground plane" is capacitive between the base of the magmount and the metal of the vehicle roof. It doesn't depend on magnetic coupling; the RF doesn't 'know' what holds the disc of the magmount to the roof.At 450MHz there's plenty of capacitance between a 6-inh-diameter metal disc and the roof, even if there was a mm or so air-gap!

But now you have no ground plane?

Thanks for the continued input which has made (mostly) interesting reading.

I am now wondering about the idea of putting steel bracket plate onto "roof rack" - it is 3 Thule roof bars with homebrew angle iron sides. I may go for slightly smaller signage but like the idea of it being out of easy reach. I am also thinking though of gluing plate to roof to take a PMR magmount I have acquired but think I will def use PU adhesive rather than gaffa tape after others' experiences.

Shame I removed all my insulation from one side but hey! it is a Land Rover

• 2 years later...

Just bought some magnetic signs for my new 110 utility, glad I got them a bit smaller than the back panels as I've had to stick them on the front doors - this might be a solution for you?

Only doors on late model Defenders are made of steel, earlier types had steel frames clad in aluminium.