Rounded Swivel Flange bolt!!

Mean Green

Arrgghhhh!!! Why is it always the last bolt the screws up the job!!! :angry2:

Following on from my "Can I be lazy..." (http://forums.lr4x4....showtopic=78956) thread, I can confirm that the hub can be changed without the need to strip it down fully. So full of enthusiasm, I start again to do the other side - I strip the "new" swivel from the donor with no problem and set about the recipient. Bolts on this one are a little tighter than the others but a little brute force and they are free - until the very last bolt - number 28 of 28 and the sodding thing rounds!!! So now what!!! ?? How can I remove a rounded bolt from the stub axle / axle flange when it is rounding the head?

There is very little space, not enough for a socket - so bolt extractors are out.

Any suggestions?

The problem is the limited access - it is the bolts that hold the full swivel assembly onto the axle, so it can only really be accessed with a spanner.

Had thought about mole grips, might try that, but first apply some heat to the bolt to see if that helps.

Grind the head off, remove the swivel assy and then it will probably undo with mole grips. If it doesn't at least you will have room to drill it out. Or as above, weld a nut to it so the spanner fits, the heat might also make it a bit easier to undo.

The problem is the limited access - it is the bolts that hold the full swivel assembly onto the axle, so it can only really be accessed with a spanner.

Had thought about mole grips, might try that, but first apply some heat to the bolt to see if that helps.

With the heat, remember you can get it into the back of the hole it bolts into. That will help melt the threadlock.

Grind the head off, remove the swivel assy and then it will probably undo with mole grips. If it doesn't at least you will have room to drill it out. Or as above, weld a nut to it so the spanner fits, the heat might also make it a bit easier to undo.

This is the easiest method. Grind the head off and pull the swivel off. Once you have done that you have removed the tension on the bolt so it should come out quite easily with a bit pair of mole grips or stilsons.

I had this

Heat up socket with Oxy/Acet or blow lamp, both on the Bolt head AND the rear as the bolt

comes "Through" SOAK with WD40, the heat will "Suck" in the WD40 don't spray it SOAK it and yes it will smoke !

SOAK and RESOAK until it looks like a smiing pol

Then I had I found (can't remeber the size) a multi point (NOT a 6 Pount) Whitworth socket and smacked it on good and ****in tight with a hammer,

and it came undone

HTH

Nige

The important thing with these bolts is to start off with the correct size and type of spanner. This is assuming a previous owner hasn't mangled them for you.

The 9/16" bi-hex ring spanner is your friend here. Sometimes it is possible to get a 14mm to fit, it does vary, but you want the best fit possible so I always try both.

Next you want to apply force in a way that won't encourage the spanner to jump off. The bolts are always far too tight to undo with a standard length ring spanner, and I used to use No.1 tool to help. This is not ideal as the ring spanner tends to want to slip or just ruin the head of the bolt.

Options to multiply torque can be as simple as a large pipe that fits over the spanner, thus increasing leverage.

Alternatively you can make up a tool specific for the job :) I don't have a photo to hand, but it was based around SimonR's spanner torque extender. This does the job extremely well, and can be used to tighten the bolts on reassembly.

However I think the best option to remove a badly damaged bolt will either be a hacksaw (if you have the patience), or a grinder with 1mm cutting disk. Gloves, eye protection etc are all recommended for both methods.

I had this

Heat up socket with Oxy/Acet or blow lamp, both on the Bolt head AND the rear as the bolt

comes "Through" SOAK with WD40, the heat will "Suck" in the WD40 don't spray it SOAK it and yes it will smoke !

SOAK and RESOAK until it looks like a smiing pol

Then I had I found (can't remeber the size) a multi point (NOT a 6 Pount) Whitworth socket and smacked it on good and ****in tight with a hammer,

and it came undone

HTH

Nige

Am i the only one here that can sense a disaster in the making ! ? LOL

The important thing with these bolts is to start off with the correct size and type of spanner. This is assuming a previous owner hasn't mangled them for you.

The 9/16" bi-hex ring spanner is your friend here. Sometimes it is possible to get a 14mm to fit, it does vary, but you want the best fit possible so I always try both.

Next you want to apply force in a way that won't encourage the spanner to jump off. The bolts are always far too tight to undo with a standard length ring spanner, and I used to use No.1 tool to help. This is not ideal as the ring spanner tends to want to slip or just ruin the head of the bolt.

Options to multiply torque can be as simple as a large pipe that fits over the spanner, thus increasing leverage.

Alternatively you can make up a tool specific for the job :) I don't have a photo to hand, but it was based around SimonR's spanner torque extender. This does the job extremely well, and can be used to tighten the bolts on reassembly.

However I think the best option to remove a badly damaged bolt will either be a hacksaw (if you have the patience), or a grinder with 1mm cutting disk. Gloves, eye protection etc are all recommended for both methods.

I have specially modified spanner with the open end cut off, Jack handle is then perfect for going over the end for more leverage. :)

Thanks for all the tips. I think the grinder might be the best option although typically it is the top bolt so there is limited access due to the spring seat.

Will try a bit of heat too.

I knew it was all going too well!!

If access is bad, then a powerfile is perfect! Luckily the ones I've had knacker the heads have been easily accessible with the grinder (and neither time I had my P.F. to hand).

If the cut off stud bit gets really short due to mole grip abuse the trick is to weld on a washer and then weld the nut to that. It's easier to get a good weld on the washer to the stud and the extra heat of welding the nut on after helps.

If the bolt thread is sticking out the back it may help if you cut the rusty bit off flush?

Thanks for all the replies - a combination of all of them and the hub is off!

I cut the head off with the sabre saw (5 Blades later!!), then heated it up, then the molegrips slipped, so I ground down flats, gave it a good heat and off it came.

A quick cup of tea to celebrate and then I will get the "new" hub fitted! :)