Random domestic/winching question

BogMonster

Mrs BM has for some time been getting frustrated with crappy washing lines that either stretch or break with a full load of clothes on them if the wind gets up (as it does, regularly, in this part of the world)

So ... novel thinking ... I had been thinking of getting a length of 5mm or 6mm Dyneema from Goodwinch to make a new clothes line out of :)

Expensive (ish) but buy once buy right... it won't stretch and with a breaking strain of a few thousand pounds it should last a while.

Due to the relatively benign conditions my Dyneema on the 110 lives under (it isn't dragged over rocks and through trees), it's not really suffered from much physical abrasion, what is the view on long-term chafing, will it shed fibres from the surface of the rope which would end up in the clothes, or would it be OK? I know it goes fluffy with abrasion, but I'm not sure if it actually sheds material.

Thoughts please...

And yes this is serious and no it isn't April 1st! :)

Well the only problem I can see is the sun causing a problem

Would not do it here in Aus as the sun destroys stuff left out in it. Plastic and ropes are not too good after a while in the sun

But on second thoughts you won't have too much problem with that in the uk :-)

I'm not in the UK, and UV levels are a problem here but my 110 lives under cover most of the time so no real experience of how quickly it degrades. Everything else made of plastic does though, so I guess it might be a problem...

Could you not use plastic coates SS wire instead?

Something like this http://www.amazon.co...pd_sbs_indust_2

I see any plastic coating on a washing line as a problem for marking clothes. Also the clothes slide along the plastic. That was why we used hemp.

The only problem I see with Dymeena is the diameter being too large to fit the pegs.