Whats best for low cost transporting land rov er series

sussex-landy

I want to take my V8 hybrid series 3 to the alps for several months and I dont fancy the drive so was wondering if they are ok to use the towing dolly's you see on ebay which lifts the front wheels and rolls on the rears.

My only options are:

Drive it - 12 - 14 hours or longer in a series 3 not looking forward to it.

Dolly - if possible tow it on my range rover and doesnt need a special trip.

Car transporter - ideal choice but expensive and difficult to store.

Has anyone used the Dolly idea on a series 3 V8.

The problem with towing-dolly things and A-frames is that they are unbraked: here in the UK an unbraked trailed-load must not exceed 750Kg (except where it is being used to recover a disabled vehicle to a place of safety).

How much does a S3 weigh? What is the rated towing-limit for an unbraked trailer on your RR?

Be aware that the German/French police are seriously trigger-happy when they see a 'foreign' vehicle they think might be breaking some obscure local regulation. Get it a bit wrong and they'll impound your vehicles until you can prove you're legal.

I'd suggest a proper twin-axle, braked flatbed-trailer - but again look at the gross-train-weight you'll be towing and check that your UK driving-licence classes allow you to tow such a load in Europe.

I want to take my V8 hybrid series 3 to the alps for several months and I dont fancy the drive so was wondering if they are ok to use the towing dolly's you see on ebay which lifts the front wheels and rolls on the rears.

My only options are:

Has anyone used the Dolly idea on a series 3 V8.

tow dolly is only legally for use to a 'place of safety' the nearest garage or safe parking area [layby] to remove a vehicle from a motorway/dangerous position, same goes for A frames.

for long distance move a flatbed or vehicle transport trailer or recovery type flatbed truck is the only safe & legal way.

Thanks I want to drive it myself but you know what wives are like, mine wouldn't go in it all that way and doesn't see why I need to take it on a special trip on my own. This helps and I don't fancy the massive trailer and towing it if there is snow about like last year.

I think driving it down will work best for me,

Robert

I drive my V8 110 down to Provence each summer for our holiday and it is a great journey.

Laden down with kids and camping stuff, we either trundle down on the Autoroute which is a bit dull or take the Route Nationale and see a lot of France. Admittedly my 110 is running on LPG so the cost is bearable.

I've no idea SNCF still operates a Motor-rail service

• 2 weeks later...

My only options are:

other option: pay me to drive it ;)