Bearmach Rad

reb78

Would you be happy fitting this:

http://www.island-4x4.co.uk/radiator-200tdi-metal-bearmach-btp1823s-p-6171.html

Just discovered a weep on my rad today and wont have time to get it removed and recored before i have time to re-fit next weekend, so was going to order the one above so its waiting for me when i get back from working away Mon-Fri this week.

Just thought i'd see if anyone had had any bad experiences or strong objections to bearmach rads/quality.

I've been looking for one my self on ebay as my core is battered I found this one on Ebay that I may try http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2649

Its not a bad price, but i've emailed that seller before and those rads have plastic side tanks. I was trying to avoid the plastic construction as i've had them fail before on other vehicles and i just have more faith in a solid bit of metal! Having said that, I have to confess, i have used that seller for a rad in BMW that i was selling and the service was good with quick delivery.

I paid 106 delivered for mone on eBay and its fantastic.

I couldnt find any ebay ones in that price range with metal tanks. Rightly or wrongly, i dont want the plastic! I've ordered the Island 4x4 one above now, so will report back on the quality once i have it.

I've got one of those from that eBay seller. The rad seems very well made, the plastic tanks are extremely thick and tough looking. Many cars have plastic ends as original from the factory these days so I thought I'd give it a go. Its been on there a year so far and no problems yet anyway.

I have one of those rad's on my 90 and it's been really good, one thing you'll need to do is sleeve the input and output pipe work for the water with a smaller diameter hose than the 200's original pipework as the 200's rad pipework is a little too big and it was the only way I could get it to seal properly

hth

John

Well, the conclusion to this was that by Thursday it still hadn't been posted, so I phoned island 4x4....no answer. So I emailed and got a reply saying they actually had no stock. So they'd taken 4days to realise. I was offered a refund, or a swap for a britpart rad...... I laughed and refused the BP rubbish slightly miffed that i wouldn't be back on the road this weekend.

MD will do me a recore this week with a heavy duty core. So my old rads off to them on Monday.

When they say "uprated" do they mean in terms of cooling power (heat transfer) or in terms of strength?

Cooling. The uprated core is a 4 row unit sourced from Caterpillar. There was a discussion here with a few more details where i chatted to M&D this time last year. Its only taken me a year to get around to acting on it!

I know that the standard rads cool well, but if i go further with the fuel tweaks at some point, it wont hurt to have upgraded the rad (already done intercooler). Especially when the price seems fairly reasonable. They have 300tdi ones on the shelf - i think they are for their 2.8tgv conversions. If anyone wants to get another one done for a 200tdi, i have a spare rad with brass tanks that someone could have.

searching the bay might bring something up but failing that get your one re-cored, if you can't be without your motor for a few days then pick up a S/H rad in a bad way and as long as the tanks are ok get that re-cored and just swap when it's done.